That’s okay though, with a little practice, and after reading this article, you’ll be able to write an engaging lesson plan in your sleep! If you’re teaching grammar topics like verb tenses, introduce them to the student here. The student should be able to respond in complete sentences by the end of this phase in the lesson. Sign up for our weekly newsletter and we’ll send you our 101 Ways To Earn Money For Travel eBook for Free, plus we’ll send you a series of emails to show you how to earn money and travel in a financially sustainable way. Below are some common English concepts that you could consider covering. I found a pack of ABC flashcards that had animals for each letter at the Dollar Store. Vocabulary Words: Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, For beginner lessons, I like to engage prior English knowledge by asking the student some basic introduction questions in English. For each card, touch the color and say clearly the color word in isolation. For younger students, you can write the words in a word bank and have the student match the color to the picture. All teachers have to do is search for the resource that they want, print it and use it. Practice spelling the new word by demonstrating first, “R-E-D, Red.” Have the student repeat 2-3 times. Thank you. Check for understanding by showing the student a flashcard, pointing to the color, and shrugging your shoulders to indicate that you want them to name the color. Teach students useful and common vocabulary words. Disclaimer: Some links in this article are affiliate links, which means that if you purchase through them, we receive a small commission. Next to each picture, I’d write “What color is this?” or “What color do you see?” and a line for the student to answer. ; A Tale to … Discuss a hypothetical situation for a lesson focusing on conditionals. Controlled practice should help the student focus on the main task and provide them with feedback — either from the teacher or the other students. ☞ SEE ALSO: Teach English in Japan – A Guide to Finding Jobs. Teachers might find that English lesson plans … Write the question and answer frames that your student should use and hold it up to visually prompt the student. Ask small talk questions about the weekend for a lesson on the simple past. Make sure the student is answering using the correct verb tense. This can go a long way in helping your students understand the material. The warm-up should include the target grammar/function for the lesson. Here are some activities and worksheets that teachers can use to add fun to any English lesson! Grammar skills can be taught to more advanced online English students. Author: Plazoom. For the second part of the lesson, the student will use these flavor words to elaborate on their opinions about certain foods. Then, teach the second sentence, “What do you see?” using the same system. Practice holding up different color items, asking the student a sentence, and assisting the student if they need help. Then point to them indicating that you want them to do the same. Creating and executing your online teaching lessons will go much smoother if you are prepared. Generally speaking, a lesson plan has four specific parts. Images in this post are courtesy of Shutterstock, a website filled with beautiful royalty-free images and videos. It's often useful to circulate around the room and take notes. Pictures of foods or actual foods from around your house, a dry erase board to write target sentence frames. I learned this lesson planning format when I was teaching science in a traditional classroom. Your ideas are wonderful. It’s always a good idea to end the lesson on a high note. Teachers might find that English lesson plans which allow for lots of practice work well in the classroom. This could be a reading passage about the topic, a matching game, or a video that the student watches and describes. Here are a few suggestions on how to present new materials to the class: The presentation should include the main "meat" of the lesson. Show the student each flashcard one at a time. Some good sentences to review are: To teach full sentences, I like to have the target sentence frames written on my dry erase board in advance so I can point to the response I want the student to give. Nic is a fulltime writer for Goats On The Road. At this stage, the student should be able to answer the question independently without prompting. (remember to correct answers to past tense if needed). Focus on pronunciation and make sure the student repeats the word at least three times. Click here to learn more about Shutterstock. Teaching English, like teaching any subject, requires lesson plans. You can demonstrate this by saying the full sentence yourself and pointing to the student to indicate that they should repeat you. It’s a bit easier to understand how each of these steps work when you see them in practice. 1 | Editable primary lesson plan template and English unit planning grid. ☞ SEE ALSO: 6 Best TEFL Courses For English Teachers. Free practice: This integrates the focus structure, vocabulary, and functional words and phrases into students' overall language use. After you’ve reviewed this chart with the student and read some practice sentences together, encourage the student to practice independently. If you’re feeling really creative, you can write the key vocabulary words for the lesson in one color and write the target sentence frames in another color. Get their mind thinking in English and have them use their existing knowledge right away. For example, the worksheet might have [has] and [have] written at the top. Dry erase boards help you reach more types of learners and give students a reference point they can use throughout the lesson until they are confident they have mastered the material. When I was teaching in a traditional classroom, I often wrote the lesson objectives for the day on a sticky note and stuck it to my computer. In June 2017, she stumbled on an online English teaching gig that allowed her to travel anywhere with good WiFi. High School English Lesson Plans, Grades 9-12 Finding engaging English lesson plans for hard-to-impress high school teenagers is no small task. your article is spot-on! Develop your own lesson plans and activities by using a basic template. Have extra pictures of the lesson topic to discuss with the student. Then point to the student to indicate that they should repeat after you. The goal of this lesson is to expand their descriptive vocabulary when talking about foods and help them articulate other types of foods they like. I would spend a few minutes asking “What is your name?” “How old are you?” and “Where are you from?”, Encourage students to respond in full sentences answers. A fun way to practice listening skills is to show the student a short video or audio clip. ☞ SEE ALSO: 15 Pros and Cons Of Being An Online English Teacher. Even though I used these steps for science lessons, they apply well to online English lessons as well! The student will tell you about the food they like, and from there you can ask follow up questions like, “How does ___ taste?” The student should be able to use their flavor words from earlier to explain how their favorite foods taste. Giving children lots of opportunity to practice what is taught will help them remember the lesson better. I like to reward my students by singing a silly song together or by playing a game of Tic-Tac-Toe. Write lessons about topics that interest you and your students will be thrilled to see what you create. When I talk to other people who teach English as a foreign language, it’s pretty clear that Bridge TEFL is one of... © 2020 Goats on the Road | Web Design and Development by, How To Plan an Online Teaching Lesson (With Examples), How to Plan an Online English Teaching Lesson, Components of a Good Online Teaching Lesson Plan, Intermediate Sample Lesson: My Favorite Foods, Online Tutoring Jobs: How To Easily Find Work Tutoring Online, Teaching English Online Without A Degree: Top 10 Companies That Pay, Preply Tutoring: How To Become a Preply Teacher Online, Taking A Bridge TEFL Course: The Complete Guide. For each lesson you teach, you should plan to include each of these steps. However, you might find yourself working for a company that doesn’t offer this support. For more advanced students, you can also teach the meaning of different words. High School Level English Language Arts Lesson Plans. When you have about 5 minutes left in the lesson, it’s time to ensure that the student understands all the material. Below, write the following sentences: Have the student read the sentences and verbally fill in the correct word, [have] or [has]. However, most ESL teachers like to mix up their classes by providing their own lesson plans … This will never cost you extra and in many cases you receive a special discount. One way to correct students if they answer with one-word answers is to say the full sentence you’d like them to say, then pause and cup your hand to your ear indicating that you’d like them to repeat. Then ask the question again to give them the chance to use the full sentence. After your student shows what they’ve learned, give them lots of praise, high fives, and tell them they did a good job. Questions that work well for starting a conversation are: For this particular lesson, I’d ask a few of the questions above and then ask the following engage question to see what the student already knows: Usually, the student will be able to name a few foods that they enjoy. Engage activities are good warm-ups. If you don’t have a certain prop for a lesson, mime it as best as you can. Make sure you’re prepared and remember to go with the flow. Try to get a set that has illustrations for each letter because you can use these pictures to teach other concepts. Creating and executing your online teaching lessons will go much smoother if you are prepared.