Freeze any leftovers and re-heat in the oven. In English you may have heard these called cod croquettes, cod fitters, salt cod fritters, salted cod fritters, fish cakes, and cod … Add the milk to the flour and whisk to make a batter. Powered by WordPress.

This recipe is the Jamaican version called Stamp & Go. Your email address will not be published. https://leitesculinaria.com/7586/recipes-portuguese-salt-cod-fritters.html Required fields are marked *. This recipe makes a lot of cod appetizers since you only drop a level tablespoonful of the batter for each fritter. Then drain the fish in a wire sieve and let the fish cool.

Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. In a large bowl mix together the pepper, scallions, thyme and parsley. Add more or less flour/milk as needed to make a typical fritter batter --flours vary due to changes in humidity. Boil fish in 3 cups of the water and the milk until tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Chef Mireille used a scotch bonnet pepper in her recipe. Cover whole potatoes with cold water in a medium pot. Drain, rinse well, place in saucepan and cover with cold water. I’ve seen it in the store but never tried it. This recipe makes a lot of fritters and honestly, I lost count, but it's at least three dozen. Mix flour, baking powder, spices and salt together in a bowl. bolinhos de bacalhau, cod cakes, Cod fritters, pastéis de bacalhau. « Couscous Patties with Smoked Prosciutto, Marinated Grilled Shrimp with Key Lime Beurre Blanc ». https://jamaicanfoodsandrecipes.com/jamaican-salt-fish-fritter Make a well in the centre and pour in egg, milk and melted butter. These were really tasty, I would never have guessed that they weren’t made with fresh fish. Prep time does not include soaking time. We used 3 litres in our deep fryer. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. They end up having a nice fish flavor, (not bad fishy but good ), and as much heat as you are willing to accept. This recipe is from Caribbean Cooking by Judy Bastyra with my own tweeking. Fry on one side for 2 to 4 minutes until browned and flip with a pair of tongs to the second side and fry until browned. Remove cooked fish from liquid, shred and set aside to cool.

Actually done hundreds of years ago to preserve meats and fish. You can fry more than one fritter at a time, but be careful not to over crowd them.

Salt codfish fritters inspired by Caribbean spices and one recipe makes enough for a crowd. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover pan and simmer for 10 minutes. Total Carbohydrate Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper. Most of my recipes don’t take a lot of time to make but taste amazingly good. 6.2 g See photo. Then use your fingers to flake the fish and add to the herbs in the bowl. Be sure to use the best quality salt cod you can buy … Jollof farro — a diabetic friendly alternative to rice.

Liz and I grew up knowing them as pasteis. Drop tablespoons of the mixture into the oil, a few at a time, spaced well apart. Your email address will not be published. https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/salt-cod-fritters-saffron-allioli These Caribbean salt cod fritters would be a perfect appetizer for a crowd. Number of servings really depends on how big you make the fritters. By clicking “Accept”, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. Your email address will not be published. You should be able to find Cholula in grocery stores everywhere, some stores have it in the Hispanic foods section and other stores display it with the ketchup and mustard. She cooks multi-cultural dishes, lives in New York, and is in the Food Bloggers Recipe Swap group on Facebook. 24 hours in the refrigerator, changing the water a few times in between, left the fish nicely unsalty, smelling and tasting like nice fish. Place the salted cod in a bowl and add cold water, refrigerate for 24 hours, changing the water 2 or 3 times. Preparation. I used an oven temperature probe attached to the skillet with a clip to monitor the temp. And the dipping sauce I made was perfect with them. Great cod appetizers. Make sure it’s all combined. Starting a day ahead, soak the dried cod in cold water for 18 to 24 hours, changing the water several times to remove the majority of the salt. I’m sure everyone would gobble them up. Caribbean salt cod fritters, cod appetizers, cod fritters, codfish fritters, salt cod fritters, , like scotch bonnet, finely minced (I used 2 thai chiles and 1/2 tsp cayenne). This recipe makes plenty for a crowd and tastes fantastic. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent.

I found this salted cod at Whole Foods and they actually had 3 or 4 different brands to choose from. Fry for 3-4 minutes, turning once or twice until golden brown. https://recipesfoodandcooking.com/2015/08/04/salt-cod-fritters Be sure to use the best quality salt cod you can buy and, if possible, the kind that is already skinned and boned...the boning process is extremely tedious. I was not familiar with salted codfish so a little research was in order. These cookies do not store any personal information. It is 2 tbsp mayo, 1 tbsp Cholula hot sauce and about 1 tbsp whole grain mustard. Seems that it is prevalent in the Caribbean as well as Scandinavian countries, around the Mediterranean and Canada, which is where my fish was from. Portuguese salted cod fritters (pastéis de bacalhau). In a separate large bowl mix the flour and baking powder. This recipe is courtesy of Chef Mireille from The Schizo Chef.com. Drain, rinse under cold water and, when cool enough to handle, flake fish and set aside. The amount depends on the cooking vessel you're using. Use less if frying in a pot or dutch oven.

I used Grey Poupon harvest coarse ground mustard. Make them ahead of time and keep warm in the oven. « Beef brisket on a pellet smoker and grill. Learn how your comment data is processed. Remove the fritters with a slotted spoon or a kitchen spider and place on a cooling rack with paper towels under it. Caribbean salt cod fritters are not something I’ve thought of making until now. Continue to fry the fritters 6 or 8 at a time. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Discard the water and set the potatoes aside to cool. Vegetable oil for deep frying. Filed Under: Appetizers, Seafood Tagged With: Caribbean, caribbean salt cod fritters, fritters, herbed batter, salt cod. This sounds very much like ludefisk. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. I read some other salt cod recipes that talked about picking the bones out of the flesh and I definitely opted for the boned salted codfish. Place the cooked fritters on a paper towel-lined serving dish to soak up the excess oil.

Drain salted cod. Soak the cod for 24 hours, changing the water 3 or 4 times through-out. Make sure to check the codfish fritters recipe notes for a great tasting dipping sauce to go with the fritters. #saltcodfritters #caribbeansaltcodfritters #codfritters #codfishfritters …

Add 1 tbsp salt and bring to a boil over medium heat. These were my favorite part of an elaborate Seven Fishes Christmas Eve dinner that I made for my family. Start with 4 fritters, (then check the taste as described below). Hi Eileen…the salted cod has a much firmer texture than lutefisk. I’m not so brave or accustomed to quite that much heat, so I used a couple thai chiles that I got from my friend Manny, augmented with some cayenne pepper. I’m a seafood fanatic and Chef Mireille’s Caribbean salt cod fish cakes recipe seemed the perfect recipe to make and share. I know you can make healthy food using unprocessed, easy to find ingredients. Stir in onion, chilli and flaked fish and mix well. Serve hot with your choice of dipping sauce (I like seafood cocktail sauce). Tasty, but not too hot.

But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. There were lots of nose wrinkles when I came home with my box of salt cod … We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. Salt cod fritters are found throughout the Caribbean, with each island having its own variation. Salt cod fritters are found throughout the Caribbean, with each island having its own variation. Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in large deep fryingpan until hot but not smoking.

Finally, add the fish and herbs to the batter and fold to combine.

SIGN UP AND NEVER MISS A NEW RECIPE POST. In a medium pot, add the cod and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil on medium heat, and cook for about 10 minutes or until the fish starts to flake. You may want to let the first batch cool slightly then taste and adjust the spiciness adding a little more cayenne if desired.

We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. It just makes sense that preserving fish by a drying method, like using salt, was a natural. These fritters freeze well and can be defrosted and reheated in a 375 degree oven till just hot. Add any or all spices to taste. Soak the salt cod in water overnight. Think New Year’s or Superbowl party. Remove from the water and place in a large sauce pan and boil for 15 to 20 minutes. Boiling the fish for 15 minutes or so further releases the salt and makes the fish very flaky and suitable for the fritters. Mix it together and dip your fritter. This recipe is the Jamaican version called Stamp & Go. Discard the water and place the fish on paper towel to remove excess water, and let cool.

It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. This is to pull the salt away from the fish. Add 1 level tablespoon of the batter into the oil, using a second spoon to help slide the batter into the oil (they expand in size in the oil).

Glad you found me…let’s get cooking. Keep warm in a 200 degree oven while frying the remaining fritters.

These cod fritters are a delicious iconic dish from Portugal, and can be found in Portuguese communities all over the world.

Mary Jo made a nice sauce to go with the fritters.

Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Use a large spoon to mix all the ingredients very well.

They’re typically called bolinhos de bacalhau (cod cakes) in northern Portugal and Pasteis de bacalhau (cod fritters) in the more southern parts of the country. Mix together to make a smooth batter. Using a tall sided skillet (casserole skillet) add about 1 inch of oil and bring the oil up to between 350 and 375 degrees. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Spanish Salt Cod Fritters.

2 %, , seeded and finely chopped (aka habanero). Beef brisket on a pellet smoker and grill. Enjoy them hot or cold. Use one spoon to scoop up a serving of the fish mixture and use the other spoon to form a small portion in the shape of a tiny (American) football. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The fish comes neatly packed and still full of salt which means that you have to soak it for a length of time to get the saltiness out of it.