The fiery Tybalt, with his sword prepared, Came more and more and fought on part and part, Yet tell me not, for I have heard it all. He swung about his head and cut the winds, GREGORY My naked weapon is out: quarrel, I will back thee. Tell me in sadness, who is that you love. Rebellious subjects, enemies to peace, But he, his own affections’ counsellor, We would as willingly give cure as know. down with the Montagues! BENVOLIO Feather of lead, bright smoke, cold fire, ABRAHAM BENVOLIO ROMEO So far from sounding and discovery, If you do, sir, I am for you: I serve as good a man as you. TYBALT Examine other beauties. SAMPSON See, where he comes: so please you, step aside; �T;�J����y�a̭��=T�LRdm��2�#N\Dr��B��঵-S8G�6D%,dlaZ�ʹD���� [�&77q����lXtВI���m�X��]�0�?M�s�����a�B'�\��YT,l�$&�eY�5OHC����RF�C���y4�"�~t(�`*`��U"Ң9��B�N�l�5����X��iK �2ac� � �MŬ8���7$l8츞iVk/w�H�����@��Z��U` ROMEO With tears augmenting the fresh morning dew. Both by myself and many other friends: A crutch, a crutch! Sampson and Gregory, two servants of the house of Capulet, stroll through the streets of Verona. GREGORY Exeunt. I aim'd so near, when I supposed you loved. It was. BENVOLIO Clubs, bills, and partisans! This page contains the original text of Act 1, Scene 1 of Romeo & Juliet. Romeo, Mercutio, Benvolio mit fünf oder sechs andern Masken, Fakel-Trägern und Trummeln. Why, then, O brawling love, O loving hate. Draw thy tool! Till the prince came, who parted either part. "Act 1, Scene 1." ABRAHAM Till the prince came, who parted either part. As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee: BENVOLIO I'll pay that doctrine, or else die in debt. then enter Citizens, with clubs Each Shakespeare’s play name links to a range of resources about each play: Character summaries, plot outlines, example essays and famous quotes, soliloquies and monologues: All’s Well That Ends Well Antony and Cleopatra As You Like It The Comedy of Errors Coriolanus Cymbeline Hamlet Henry IV Part 1 Henry IV Part 2 Henry VIII Henry VI Part 1 Henry VI Part 2 Henry VI Part 3 Henry V Julius Caesar King John King Lear Loves Labour’s Lost Macbeth Measure for Measure The Merchant of Venice The Merry Wives of Windsor A Midsummer Night’s Dream Much Ado About Nothing Othello Pericles Richard II Richard III Romeo & Juliet  The Taming of the Shrew The Tempest Timon of Athens Titus Andronicus Troilus & Cressida  Twelfth Night The Two Gentlemen of Verona The Winter’s Tale, Romeo and Juliet Play: Overview & Resources, Romeo & Juliet Original Text: Act 1, Scene 1. Was that my father that went hence so fast? Nay, as they dare. Shakespeare, William. An if you leave me so, you do me wrong. Is to himself--I will not say how true-- Tell me in sadness, who is that you love. Montague’s son. 'Tis all one, I will show myself a tyrant: when I ABRAHAM Should in the furthest east begin to draw, Shuts up his windows, locks fair daylight out. Created: Sep 16, 2020| Updated: Oct 14, 2020. Should, without eyes, see pathways to his will! MONTAGUE Romeo and Juliet Act 1 Scene 1 Lyrics. sad hours seem long. What sadness lengthens Romeo's hours? Shuts up his windows, locks far daylight out ROMEO I will frown as I pass by, and let them take it as Preview. h�b```�R����A�B~f GREGORY And private in his chamber pens himself, Is to himself–I will not say how true– O loving hate! Being black put us in mind they hide the fair; PRINCE And she's fair I love. why, no. How! To merit bliss by making me despair: But all so soon as the all-cheering sun ROMEO MONTAGUE Thou shalt not stir a foot to seek a foe. Should, without eyes, see pathways to his will! What, art thou drawn among these heartless hinds? That quench the fire of your pernicious rage 1. carry coals: i.e., endure insults, put up with crap. He generally tries to avoid conflict. Canker'd with peace, to part your canker'd hate: A troubled mind drave me to walk abroad; The heads of the maids? BENVOLIO �3����u2K�K�+XYux���5l���ܞG ��{����ݓA:�%{a�1b�G��D8���㪰�x� Madam, an hour before the worshipp'd sun With more of thine: this love that thou hast shown Love is a smoke raised with the fume of sighs; I aim'd so near, when I supposed you loved. A street. Why, then, O brawling love! What, drawn and talk of peace! By giving liberty unto thine eyes; They must take it in sense that feel it. Have at thee, coward! Character Interview: The Montagues and the Capulets. SAMPSON Many a morning hath he there been seen, Profaners of this neighbour-stained steel,-- SAMPSON O me! In your own words, rewrite Romeo’s speech about love in Scene 1, lines 176-180, line by line. Love is a smoke raised with the fume of sighs; Both by myself and many other friends: It was. I mean, and we be in choler, we'll draw. But sadly tell me who. Nor bide the encounter of assailing eyes, I will bite my thumb at them; So far from sounding and discovery, BENVOLIO Nay, as they dare. Ere he can spread his sweet leaves to the air, Ere he can spread his sweet leaves to the air. Copyright © 2006—2020 by the Florida Center for Instructional Technology, College of Education, University of South Florida. ROMEO CAPULET Ah, word ill urged to one that is so ill! She hath, and in that sparing makes huge waste, As is the bud bit with an envious worm, Web. Down with the Montagues! Should, without eyes, see pathways to his will! Nor ope her lap to saint-seducing gold: To move is to stir; and to be valiant is to stand: Juliet’s father and leader of the Capulets. Romeo. At thy good heart's oppression. GREGORY have fought with the men, I will be cruel with the It was. O, where is Romeo? Old Montague is come, 11 Romeo and Juliet ACT 1. Enter ROMEO ROMEO If I may trust the flattering truth of sleep, My dreams presage some joyful news at hand: My bosom's lord sits lightly in his throne; And all this day an unaccustom'd spirit Lifts me above the ground with cheerful thoughts. Cuts beauty off from all posterity. BENVOLIO ROMEO you men, you beasts, ROMEO SAMPSON BENVOLIO Many a morning hath he there been seen, ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~, Read all of Shakespeare’s plays translated to modern English >>, It is believed that Shakespeare wrote 38 plays in total between 1590 and 1612.