Again, thank you! Once again – thank you, Italy. I added it to my blog Staceuosity.com, and shared on IG. •It goes very well with pasta. I’d call it a pasta rut, but we love them so much that we never seem to mind. You may be interested in these posts from the same category. Cut off Romanesco florets (as you would broccoli or cauliflower) and place in a medium size bowl. Required fields are marked *, Rate this recipe I received a surprise head of Romanesco in a box and immediately went looking for a recipe. You made this dinosaur vegetable look YUMMY … I will have to add it to my edible bucket list , Your email address will not be published. Don’t skimp on the parsley. Sitemap. Romanesco is one seriously cool vegetable. This roasted romanesco cauliflower pasta with olives, capers, and parsley (inspired by Alice Waters) is my latest creation. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Brad's no slouch when it comes to sniffing out the best-quality veggies. Toss the mixture together gently, adding the remaining chopped parsley, and a touch of extra virgin olive oil and reserved cooking water if dry. Meanwhile, place a large frying pan over a medium heat and toast the pine nutes for 1 minute. Drizzle the romanesco with olive oil and toss to coat. You arrive late to a dinner party, eager to indulge in the delicious meal [insert family member or friend who is an amazing cook] has prepared for the evening. Called Broccoli Romanesco, some say it’s a cross between cauliflower and broccoli. Will make it again. You could also mix things up by adding a little lemon zest, Parmesan cheese, or red pepper flakes if you like a little heat. I think it would totally exciting to try a new and different vegetable…one I had never heard of! The romanesco florets are tossed with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roasted at a high temperature until caramelized. While romanesco will lend this dish a certain flair, it can be trickier to come by.Feel free to substitute it with regular cauliflower. as always…..your recipe makes it a “MUST TRY”. I’m glad to hear it, Kerri. Would love to send you a picture from my garden. ★☆. I used whole wheat pasta and topped it with some Romano cheese rather than Parmesan since that is what I had, and it was beyond delicious. I think it was on the cover of one of my graphics design books, but I never thought about actually eating this, only appreciating it’s mathematical and artistic beauty. Why would I want to eat this strange looking vegetable? As I love capers and kalamata olives, this one was the obvious choice. Best of all, you can use this basic framework and apply it to almost any vegetable! The Romanesco broccoli is technically an edible flower and is easily recognized by its eye-catching fractal appearance. Of course the common green broccoli can be used when making this soup, but if you can find broccolo Romanesco, also known as cavolo Romano or Roman cauliflower, you are on your way to eating like a true Italian. Here are his tips on buying and cooking it. 1 jar roasted red peppers. Thanks for the recipe! Place the florets on a half sheet pan and toss with 1 heaping tablespoon olive oil, kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper. https://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/view/recipe/romanesco-easy-ideas Live From Italy. Keep unwashed romanesco in a plastic zip-top bag in the fridge; you can chop it into florets, but rinse just prior to using. Ed – I like the idea of the Bernsteins. You want to add “eating Romanesco” to your bucket list, then cross it off, and feel like you’ve accomplished something. Deselect All. You want to eat like an Italian. The rest of the components of this cauliflower pasta come together in less time than it takes to boil the pasta on the stove! Heat the remaining olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. I made it for dinner tonight and it was out of this world! More great recipes at www.thekitchensnob.com. You want to add “eating Romanesco” to your bucket list, then cross it off, and feel like you’ve accomplished something. Substitute seasonal romanesco with readily available cauliflower to make this dish year round. please know that you can substitute it with regular cauliflower. Read more about me... Sign up now to receive free updates delivered to your inbox! If you end up growing them, I’d love to see some pictures of them. Every fall, this thing haunts me as I stroll through the vegetables at the grocery store. Remove the bay leaves. What is it? Would it be criminal if I changed the parsley to basil? Your email address will not be published. Add olive oil and 1 tablespoon of the Pecorino Romano and toss to coat. Thanks. Hi, I’m Laura! © 2020 Condé Nast. Serve as a vegetarian-friendly main course or side dish! Thanks for the recipe! A little drizzle of peppery high-quality extra virgin olive oil would be excellent too. This dish is delicious. Here in Italy, you find it typically consumed raw, steamed, boiled, roasted or sauteed. Notify me of follow-up comments via e-mail. This was absolutely delicious — thanks for the wonderful recipe. Yep, we're into romanesco. Love that addition. Yum! Cooking advice that works. Scroll down for a tasty Roasted Romanesco recipe! ★☆ In the summer and fall, when the farms are cranking out the good stuff, Brad is like a kid in a candy store. It's his responsibility to supply the kitchen with ripe produce, protein, and pantry staples year-round. I hope many more people try this and love it as much as I do! Buon appetito! Just like broccoli, romanesco can take you a long way from the crudité tray. If the leaves have been removed, there's a greater likelihood that the vegetable is older.•Heads should feel dense and heavy for their size. Just don’t like parsley but the picture looks wonderful. "You want to maintain the vegetable's unique shape, not turn it to mush.". And you’re welcome! Add the turnips, broccoli and potatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes. I particularly like making romanesco this … If using a blender, let the soup cool first. Romanesco is lime green in color, slightly more delicate in flavor, and the tightly clustered florets are spiral in shape. I had never had it before and had no idea how to cook it so I googled it and came upon your recipe. We made no changes, apart from skipping the cheese because we didn’t have any on hand. Feel free to substitute seasonal romanesco with regular cauliflower to make this dish year round. Many years ago I brought home a head of romanesco to my mum. Can’t wait to try! Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta. It’s going to be okay. It is my favorite comfort food (far more than desserts and sweets!). Boil the pasta until it is al dente, reserving a cup of cooking water. Most of the florets will naturally break off and you can cut any remaining florets to match their size. I’m a professionally trained chef and food writer. seen it in a vegetable shop on the high st Exeter. wow this veggie is terrific and the recipe is outstanding. Original writing remains. 10 Affordable Everyday Food Photography Backgrounds, 2 heaping tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided, 1/2 heaping cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced lengthwise, 1 heaping cup chopped Italian parsley leaves, lightly packed, plus more for garnishing, freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, for serving (optional). For this recipe, I tossed the romanesco with olive oil and seasoned it with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Let me know how it turns out. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and add the romanesco. Here are some ways Brad likes to prepare it: •Blanch the florets and then shock in an ice bath to lock in that vibrant color. This means if you purchase an item after using these links, I might earn a small commission! Is it a crime to want food to taste so amazing that my eyeballs roll back? Thanks! Taste for salt and pepper. 2 slices stale bread, torn. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring continuously, or until fragrant. Yay! Thank you so so much for sharing this with the world! 1 clove garlic, grated or finely … All rights reserved. November 6, 2013 //  by The Kitchen Snob 23 Comments. We had no idea how to prepare the Romanesco in our CSA basket. This recipe is one of my new favorites. Trim and discard the base of the romanesco and cut it in half, then quarters. They are beautiful! Finding out that this was an Italian vegetable was what pushed me over the edge and this strange beauty was quickly in my shopping cart and on its way to its new home. 1 large plum tomato, coarsely chopped. At the last minute, we’ll be adding lots and lots of freshly chopped Italian parsley. I never knew I was eating a fractal. I recognized the thing from examples of natural fractals and the Fibonacci spiral. Thanks for the comment, George. make a cheese sause (to your taste) I would .fry small pieces of fatty bacon, then give the split romesco a lap round the bacon pan add pour tthe cheese sause over and enjoy. You can cook it in exactly the same way, but I always prefer to keep the preparation simple to show off its appearance. You want to try something new. I was concerned that a whole pound of pasta would need more olives or capers but the proportions are spot on. Preheat oven to 400°F and line baking sheet with parchment paper or nonstick spray. Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 1/1/20) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 1/1/20) and Your California Privacy Rights. If you are using the hot paprika or red pepper flakes, lightly sprinkle them to taste over the top – I used the paprika. Love george. You’re welcome! 1 Romanesco or green broccoli, stems & florets, chopped, 2-3 Parmesan crusts, cut in small cubes (optional), ITALIA: +39 0932 1846653 / Via San Brancati 16 C.da Cannizzara, 97015 Modica (RG), Pasta with Figs and Roasted Eggplant: Pantacce con Fichi e Melanzane, Pasta with Plums & Artichokes: Pasta con Prugne & Carciofi, Black Cavatelli with Beans and Mussels: Cavatelli Neri, Cicerchie e Frutta di Mare, 7-day Authentic Cultural, Culinary, Ancestry, Wellness and Active Tours in Abruzzo, Puglia & Emilia Romagna with Italia Sweet Italia. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. The ingredient links below are affiliate links. I’ll have to try paprika next time. Add the kalamata olives, capers, and red pepper flakes to the pan, and sauté for an additional minute or until warm. A simple and flavorful romanesco cauliflower pasta with fresh parsley, red pepper flakes, and bursts of saltiness from sliced kalamata olives and briny capers. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. You want to tell your co-workers you are a foodie and mean it. Have a great day!! Whoa. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. It looks like miniature Christmas trees and tastes like broccoli. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. And, more importantly, why do I want it so badly? Just got my first Romanesco and love it.