I've answered over 1,000...all of them different and several self-written. Spira started online dating in 1994 and has since published the best-seller "The Perils of Cyber-Dating: Confessions of a Hopeful Romantic" and "The Rules of Netiquette: How to Mind Your Manners on the Web." Today is National Voter Registration Day! I generally think that a good number of questions is between 150 and 300. OkCupid profiles are broken down into 9 sections, with the option to add even more topics if you’d like. Some people will only answer questions that are very important or mandatory. Sometimes we embellish the truth, particularly when we want to impress a possible mate. It keeps you on the active list. I don't think I've ever sat down and just answered more than ten questions at any point. To give us some tips on OkCupid and how best to maintain an online dating profile, we reached out to experts Julie Spira and Laurie Davis. If you want to stay visibly "active" by answering questions, then it is better to re-answer the same questions over and over again. I know how the algorithm works. OkCupid Profile “About Me” #5: Things I am not Using emojis for the OkCupid profile prompt “Things I am not” is the perfect chance to reveal your sassy side. Is there any point in answering questions that don't mean anything to you? Personally, I really only answer the ones about sexism, homophobia, religion, important sex ones, some lifestyle ones, ones about the way they treat others, and ones I have a really good, snarky answer to. The site uses algorithms to find digital matches for its 7 million users based on their answers to questions about themselves. OkCupid determines match rankings between its users by asking them a series of questions, and determining how they answer. I just go to someone else who has a high % with me and go through their questions to find ones I've missed but want to answer. Does that mean I'm safe since I'm over 1000? This is the first section: If you’re going to nail any section, it needs to be this one – especially the very first line. Let us know in the comments section or tweet us at @HuffPostTech. Skip navigation! "Overplaying your lifestyle will attract different matches who, ultimately, won't be the best fit for who you really are," she says. The notion that a series of questions can lead to love is appealing, as the recent popularity of the New York Times' "36 Questions" experiment showed. Is there any clever message shown when you try to view unanswered ones? because even though I don't necessarily care about what the other person answered, other people are searching by those questions. if you mark most of them as 'Irrelevant' or 'A Little Important' they will do very, very little to affect your scores. Emojis can be interpreted in many different ways, so describing yourself with them in your OkCupid profile will lead to follow-up questions … It’s free, popular, and has a large user pool especially if you’re in a big city. But Laurie Davis from eFlirt warns us against exaggerating. Personally I'm going to go with just important next time I wipe just to see how it works for me. But this question seems to suggest that an OKCupid member feels that if you can’t spell onomatopoeia, you probably don’t earn enough money to afford a night out. I've had OkCupid for nearly 3 years, and currently sitting at 975 questions answered. Davis is the founder and CEO of online dating consultancy eFlirt Expert, and was nominated for Best Dating Coach in the 2012 iDate Awards. Only answer questions you care about or think other people will care about. I personally don't answer the ones that make me think "this question is pointless.". The site uses algorithms to find digital matches for its 7 million users based on their answers to questions about themselves. New … OkCupid, launched in 2004, is one of the most popular free online dating service in the United States. Do you have any no-nos of your own to add? For me, I am generally not picky. If you're an online dater, then you've probably seen some miserable OkCupid profiles: cellphone pictures taken in the mirror; messages begging you to eat lobster naked with a stranger; the occasional stalker. Most of the 600 are from idly browsing matches' questions and answering one or two that seemed interesting. Her book, "Love At First Click: The Ultimate Guide to Online Dating" is expected to be released in early 2013. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Beyond these factors, I tend to think that a sparser profile is better than a denser profile, at least for me. And cyber dating expert Julie Spira agrees, also noting there is a huge difference between fibbing about your height vs. your martial status. OkCupid's matching questions… I don't want to present any dealbreakers, because I'd rather exchange a few messages then decide if I want to reject her than let her decide up front to reject me. How does one prevent OkCupid from asking the same questions over and over again? WATCH. I also answer things like "Would you date a single parent/transgender person/someone who's overweight/someone who's bisexual?" Check out the gallery below to learn some of these seasoned digi-daters' most helpful tips on what OkCupid users should never do. DISCOVER. Does anyone here judge people on the amount of questions they've answered? It means that your highest matches are guaranteed to have those traits but you'll have much greater variance in the middle people. 6. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, Press J to jump to the feed. Minimum 250.. but I'm biased, I answered ALL of them. That's fine. I answered a bunch of questions when I started to get a decent idea of who I was a good match with, but now I just answer a question every day or a few times a week so I pop up in people's activity feed. The only answers I'd skip were ones I didn't know the answer to. 81% Upvoted. I have only answered questions which I think state something about my personality. We made it easy for you to exercise your right to vote! It doesn't quite matter how many in total, but answer a few questions a day. (Even if she marked smooth as mandatory, that's still bad, because it just gives you a false positive match.) OkCupid has more than 3,000 questions for its users to choose from — ranging from topics like Game of Thrones to climate change. You are only adding noise to an already imprecise matching algorithm. OkCupid Keeps Asking Me Skipped Questions. That's enough to improve your matches, but not so much that you freak people out with your obsessive profile over-cultivation. I had like 3000 questions answered, mostly due to boredom (I used work at a snack shack on a golf course with no internet connection so cellphone time!!!). Back when I was new to this, I answered several hundred questions that don't really mean a damn thing to me. I'd rather let them wonder and fill in the gaps a bit. Oh, just in that range? Harsh! Part of HuffPost Impact. 3 comments. Sure, Staff Robot claims that it makes your matches better, but is that really the case, or would it be better to only answer the ones that actually affect your decision making? " Most of the 600 are from idly browsing matches' questions and answering one or two that seemed interesting. Harsh! save hide report. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. That's what I'm doing now and I get less matches but they are of higher quality. I've answered around 1300 and have this idea someone will see that and be like "whoa, take it easy chief". OkCupid, launched in 2004, is one of the most popular free online dating service in the United States. Is there a way to access particular questions? Some people will also judge you for answering too many questions. All rights reserved. This thread is archived. I've had a few girls mention to me that they read through my questions with explanations and thought they were really funny. I don't want to re-answer questions, I want to prevent questions that I've skipped from reappearing. But when I look at people, where every mundane question is rated as somehow "important", I run away. "Single is single, and divorced is divorced," she says. SHOP +MORE. ". However, I think you should answer 100 questions, bare minimum. Talk about a gold digger, jeez. If you’re in your 20s or 30s and looking for a hookup or a casual dating relationship, OkCupid is a great choice. In each one, you can choose a question to answer from a pull-down menu of 5 or 6 prompts. You like kissing in Paris instead of a tent? That's my approach too. These questions are randomly assigned, and can be answered whenever the user feels like it. Sign up for membership to become a founding member and help shape HuffPost's next chapter. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, Press J to jump to the feed. I really don't care. I don't think I've ever sat down and just answered more than ten questions at any point. You'll get more visits from answering interesting questions than from answering the peanut butter question anyway. Flickr: Don Hankins. Still, online dating has become an explosive business. ©2020 Verizon Media. Is there such a thing as answering too many questions? I've been considering blowing away the responses and starting over recently, and that set me to thinking. share. but not so much that you freak people out with your obsessive profile over-cultivation. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. There's no upside to you for saying that you like smooth versus crunchy peanut butter. Is there a way to access particular questions? I'm always weirded out by the people who have answered 400-1000 questions. My question boils down to "If you're going to mark it irrelevant or a little important, is it even worth answering?". Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, Y'all got more issues than the Newsweek archives. What's the point? She is also currently the publisher and editor-in-chief at Cyber-Dating Expert. Most were marked irrelevant. But there is a downside: maybe she marked crunchy as mandatory, either by mistake or as part of a joke, and you just lost your match. How does one prevent OkCupid from asking the same questions over and over again? The user can select a single answer for themselves, and multiple answers that he or she would be okay with potential matches picking. Answering only important and answering way to many are both valid ways to go. OkCupid Tips: Dating Experts Tell Us 11 Things NOT To Do Online.