It was recorded for the film Best Friends starring Burt Reynolds and Goldie Hawn. Luther Vandross produced Cheryl Lynn's 1982 Instant Love album featuring their version of the Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell classic, "If This World Were Mine.". Composed by Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson, it reached number one on the Billboard R&B chart. Given all that talent, the album should have been a stunner. Have been listening to it since around 1995. Watch Billy Preston and Syreeta perform "With You,​ I'm Born Again" live here. So, Rhythm Country & Blues is filled with duets like Conway Twitty and Sam Moore's "Rainy Night In Georgia," and Al Green and Lyle Lovett's "Funny How Time Slips Away," Clint Black and the Pointer Sisters' "Chain of Fools," Aaron Neville and Trisha Yearwood's "I Fall to Pieces," and George Jones and B.B. by Patti Austin and James Ingram, December 1979 - "With You I'm Born Again" by Billy Preston & Syreeta. Mark Edward Nero is an expert on the soul, gospel, and rhythm and blues music genres who interviewed dozens of artists and appeared in documentaries. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on November 26, 2018, Patchy but the highs outweigh the lows. Highlight for me being Sam Moore & Conway Twitty doing "Rainy Night in Georgia". "How Do You Keep The Music Playing?" Sam Moore & Conway Twitty doing "Rainy night in Georgia" are worth the album price alone but the bonus is you won't find a bad song on the disc. The pairing of black r'n'b and country has been done in a few prior recordings and the matching of what is effectively "White blues" and "black soul" if done right has the potential to be a heady mix. Instead, it's merely competent. Reviewed in the United States on November 13, 2015. What a great mix of Country and Blues. Rhythm Country and Blues) is an album featuring duets between R&B and country music artists on classic songs. On April 20, 1967, … Lionel Richie and Diana Ross recorded the title song of the 1981 movie Endless Love which Billboard declared the greatest duet of all-time. King's son--achieves a spine-tingling majesty. From Roberta Flack's 1977 Blues Lights in the Basement album, "The Closer I Get To You" featuring Donny Hathaway reached number one on the Billboard R&B chart and number two on the Hot 100. Whether you're making a mixtape for your significant other, looking for songs to sing with your baby on Karaoke night, seeking the perfect wedding music or just like hearing male and female voices in harmony, this list of best romantic R&B duets is for you. Composed by Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson, it was re-recorded by Diana Ross and became her first number solo hit in 1970. Other than the duet by Aaron Neville and Trisha Yearwood, the CD was a bust. mercedesjones, samevans, willschuester. Love this CD. This is the third time I've bought it. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on December 5, 2019. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. Rhythm Country & Blues is one of those various artists collections that always works better on paper than it does in practice. It was nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals. The album was nominated for the Country Music Association Award for Album of the Year in 1994. Reviewed in the United States on December 11, 2014. Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. Listen to "The Closer I Get to You" by Donny Hathaway & Roberta Flack here. "You're All I Need To Get By" was the title song of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell's 1968 second duet album, You're All I Need. What a great blend of musicians and vocals. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Chain of Fools. Though Natalie Cole and Reba McEntire misconnect on "Since I Fell for You," Sam Moore (of Sam & Dave) and the late Conway Twitty are at their soulful best on "Rainy Night in Georgia." In order to navigate out of this carousel please use your heading shortcut key to navigate to the next or previous heading. by Patti Austin and James, Ingram was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1983. Please try again. Stellar cast of session alumni throughout. On April 20, 1967, Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell released their classic "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" from their United album. Patti Labelle and Travis Tritt? I get into moods for specific songs every so often. Listen to "Where Is the Love" by Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway here. Sadly the version on this album featuring Patti Labelle was a disappointment. ", Listen to Luther Vandross and Beyonce sing "The Closer I Get to You" here. I found the album mostly disappointing, doubt it will get many plays. Watch Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell perform "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" here. There's a problem loading this menu right now. The intent behind the album was to demonstrate that there wasn't much difference between country and soul, either in terms of songwriting or performance. "Your Precious Love" from 1967 was one of the many hits Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson composed for Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell. Rhythm, Country and Blues (a.k.a. Luther Vandross and Mariah Carey covered the Lionel Richie/Diana Ross classic "Endless Love" for his 1994 album, Songs. Unable to add item to List. King's "Patches." "Baby Come To Me" was the first two classic duets recorded by Patti Austin and James Ingram. Yes. very good idea to combine country with r&b, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on August 25, 2015. very good idea to combine country with r&b.i particularly liked "rainy night in georgia" by conway twitty & sam moore. Linda Ronstadt's Greatest Hits, Vol. An essential filled with moving lyrics, I am moved by "Patches," a song of having the grit to soldier on. One of the greatest songwriting duos of all-time, Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson, composed numerous classics, including "Let's Go Get Stoned" by Ray Charles, "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell (re-recorded by Diana Ross) and "Reach Out and Touch (Somebody's Hand)" by Ross. What a waste of money! Listen to "How Do You Keep The Music Playing?" Somethin' Else done like no other. "Endless Love" was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song and won two American Music Awards: Favorite Pop/Rock Single, and Favorite R&B/Soul Single. Composed by Nick Ashford and Valerie Simpson, it reached number one on the Billboard R&B chart. This shopping feature will continue to load items when the Enter key is pressed. Unbelievable. The song was the basis of the 1995 Grammy ​award-winning "I'll Be There for You/You're All I Need to Get By" by Mary J. Blige and Method Man. So sorry I bought it. This album is a one-off; famous R&B artists collaborating with famous country artists. April 20, 1967 - "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" by Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell. Glad they did this collaboration while everyone was still alive and game otherwise we would have never known how well people from different walks and backgrounds would perform together. Definitely recommend. Rhythm Country & Blues sold well intially because a well-orchestrated publicity campaign but, in retrospect, that marketing plan was the most memorable thing about the entire project. Reviewed in the United States on September 25, 2019. Diverse artists perform songs--some new--some familiar, with soul and meaning. Find album reviews, stream songs, credits and award information for Great Blues Duets & Legends - Various Artists on AllMusic - 2001 We work hard to protect your security and privacy. by Patti Austin and James Ingram here. Gold award to Sam Moore (Sam & Dave) and Conway Twitty for their take on Tony Joe White's "Rainy Night in Georgia", Reviewed in the United Kingdom on March 22, 2013. Clint Black and the Pointer Sisters. It was Ross' 18th number one single and the best selling single of her career (certified platinum). From the 1972 album, Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway, "Where Is The Love" won a Grammy Award for Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Duo, Group or Chorus. What's amazing and fun is how well the two "camps" mesh to create music. Reviewed in the United States on February 24, 2020. It suffers from forced duets like Patti LaBelle and Travis Tritt, an overly-familiar selection of songs, and too-slick production. As a fan of blues music as well as country (older) I found this mix to be done in complete taste. The song enjoyed a new life and remained at number one on the Billboard Hot 100 for two weeks. They also wrote "I'm Every Woman" by Chaka Khan which was covered by Whitney Houston. Recorded for the 1978 album, 2 Hot,  the song sold over two million copies, spending four weeks at the top of the Billboard Hot 100 and R&B charts. Where so many duet projects seem like shotgun marriages, this one sounds like a labor of love, celebrating Southern music as a common denominator that transcends racial and categorical divides. Duets done by two people we would normally not think of being together in front of a microphone. Various Artists - Rhythm, Country & Blues - Amazon.com Music ... Where so many duet projects seem like shotgun marriages, this one sounds like a labor of love, celebrating Southern music as a common denominator that transcends racial and categorical divides.