Don't risk doing a workout improperly! I find the single leg standing calf raise very difficult, even without weights. Exhale as you raise your heel by extending your ankle (plantar flexion). You won’t be able to add or remove weight to get into the 8-12 rep range that is preferable for hypertrophy. Assisted inverse leg curl on lat pull-down machine. With a 4.5 star rating, It seems the best one is the Body-Solid Leverage Squat & Calf Raise Machine. Your Complete & Science Backed Guide to Ecdysteroids, Bodybuilding Grocery Shopping list (Coronavirus Edition). Standing Calf Raise for Home Gym. Standing movements that raise the body up with toes work the Gastrocnemius, seated calf raises work for the Soleus and reverse calf raises work for Tibialis Anterior. You can use a dip belt to add weight to your dips or pullups. 3. I’ve personally been on the quest for bigger calves forever. First, place your heels on a calf block, or a platform with the balls of your feet extended off it. Comments and tips Pause for a second or 2 at the top and bottom of the lift in order to prevent bouncing. While you aren’t actually standing, the leg press calf raise mimics the motion and works the gastrocnemius muscles. Suggestion: After this read, check out another article on Pump Some Iron called, “Should You Train to Failure?”. The idea here is not to go to failure, but just to get some blood pumping. Affiliate Disclaimer - Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy, Hey, I'm Brian, the creator of PumpSomeIron.com. I have a squat rack, a few bars, and a ton of weight. If you are building a home gym, you may want to consider purchasing a smith machine for calf raises as well as many other exercises including squats and bench press. There is a cheaper one, but it seems to be of much lower quality. 2. How to Gain Strength & Size with Reverse Pyramid Training. The gastrocnemius muscles are found on top of the Soleus muscles. If the two-legged standing calf raise is too easy for you, try the single leg standing calf raise. The soleus, the largest muscle of the calf, is most effectively trained during the seated calf raise, which makes this exercise imperative for developing overall calf strength and size. Calf workouts at home can be extremely effective. Theoretically, you would be able to perform even less than half of the reps you could perform with two legs. “Why would he go through the trouble? Suggestion: After this article, click this link to check out another article on Pump Some Iron called, “Do You Need to Eat Healthy to Gain Muscle?”. Standing movements that raise the body up with toes work the Gastrocnemius, seated calf raises work for the Soleus and reverse calf raises work for Tibialis Anterior. Focus on your big toe and try to apply as much pressure as possible to it. I suggest performing calf exercises barefoot or in minimalist shoes. The above picture is of Arnold Schwarzenegger performing donkey calf raises with several men sitting on his back. Like the standing calf raise, this exercise is best performed with something under the front half of your foot so that the heel of the foot can sink down lower than the toes. What is Muscle Memory & How Long Does it Last? equipment you will need to perform the donkey calf raise at home. Check out this video from Jeff Nippard, “The Most Scientific Way to Train Calves” It’s very informative. Some of these methods you may have already heard of or thought about, but keep reading and I think you will be surprised by some of my methods. How to Get Ripped at Home Without Equipment, Yohimbine for Bodybuilding, Fat Loss and Energy, Apigenin Supplements May Boost Muscle Growth & Testosterone, The Benefits of Wearing a Weighted Vest While Dieting. 4. Look to perform between 8 and 12 reps with full range of motion. Legs should remain straight throughout the movement. When you think of a standing calf raise machine, you are probably thinking of the stack loaded one at the gym. 1. The calf raise motion will almost exactly duplicate the weight stack loaded calf machines of commercial gyms.