Combine the lentils, water and tamarind water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils start soften then add the vegetables. These cookies do not store any personal information. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Make sure you use smooth almond butter, as it'll be harder to incorporate crunchy almond butter into the curry and you might end up with chunks of almond butter. And for a nut-free option, you can try tahini. www.curlyscooking.co.uk. vulnerable people for home delivery. If you find that the lentils are not quite soft after 25 minutes, add a few spoons more of broth or water and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the vegetable stock and lentils then bring to the boil. Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion for a few mins until softened. Once the oil is shimmering, add the garlic, ginger, fresh turmeric (if using), and Serrano pepper and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent garlic from burning. Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the spinach and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk and almond butter, and cook for another 5 to 8 minutes, until thick and creamy. Stir in the peas and cook for 2 minutes, stir through spinach. This is the global search area. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. If you can handle a moderate amount of heat, try one serrano pepper with the seeds intact. Aromatics. Lemon Juice and Cilantro. How to make this Vegan Red Lentil Curry . https://www.deliaonline.com/.../vegetarian-food/lentil-and-vegetable-curry Store leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days. Red Lentils. Pour in the vegetable broth, and use a wooden spoon or spatula to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Add water, stock, carrots and lentils and cook over a low heat until carrots and lentils are tender (about 15 - 20 minutes). When I make this in a wide, shallow pan like this, the lentils get softened and cooked through more quickly (about 20-22 minutes) than when I use a soup pot or Dutch oven (closer to 30 minutes). It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. If you can handle a little heat, use one Serrano pepper (remove the seeds) or one jalapeño pepper (with the seeds), and if you really like things on the spicy side, use two Serrano peppers (with seeds intact). Flavorful beyond belief: It's packed with flavor thanks to the fresh garlic, ginger, and chili peppers, along with a generous dose of Indian spices. 1 Bring a large pan of water to the boil, add the spinach and cook for 2 minutes. Sprinkle over the coriander and chopped cucumber if using and serve with naan bread and rice. Recipe from Good Food magazine, September 2018, New! wheat, egg, dairy, gluten, nuts). Deglaze with the vegetable broth, then add in the red lentils and crushed tomatoes. I’ve made it both ways, and it’s always delicious. I use full-fat canned coconut milk in this recipe, and I must say it’s an essential ingredient. If you can't tolerate spicy food whatsoever, you can omit the chili peppers. Squeeze out the excess water, roughly chop and set aside. 43.4g protein, Don't have the ingredients or just fancy a change? Ground Indian Spices. If you taste the curry before adding the coconut milk, you’ll notice it is quite acidic (from the tomatoes) and very spicy, almost too spicy to eat. That said, many users have made it with peanut butter and enjoyed it. It’s earthy and peppery, slightly bitter yet slightly sweet. Privacy Policies. First, sauté the ginger, garlic, and chili peppers (and fresh turmeric, if using) in hot oil for about 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add the garlic, ginger and red curry paste, then stir until fragrant. That said, it does freeze pretty well, and I’ve had many readers freeze it with good results. 2.6g fibre Almond Butter. Tip back into the pan, finely grate in the lemon zest and squeeze in half the juice, season to taste, then cover. Also, as mentioned earlier, red split lentils will cook a bit more quickly than standard red lentils. Peanut butter might overwhelm the other flavors in this dish, but if it’s the only option you have, I recommend starting off with a smaller amount (1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons, instead of 3) and taste as you go. The main ingredient in this recipe are red lentils, no surprise! You can find fresh turmeric at Indian and Asian grocery stores, health food stores, and the produce department of stores like Whole Foods and Sprouts. I prefer to use crushed canned tomatoes (instead of diced tomatoes or fresh tomatoes) because I love their thick, saucy texture in a creamy curry. Add the tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, vegetable stock, lentils, salt and pepper Let the stock come to the boil and then reduce the temperature to medium and allow to gently bubble away covered with a lid Stir the soup every 20 minutes or so to make sure the curry isn't sticking to the bottom of the pan. We’re doing our best to feed the nation and are now working with the government to prioritise the nation’s most Reduce the heat to low and cover the pan with a lid. Reduce the heat and simmer until the lentils start soften then add the vegetables. For an oil-free recipe, omit the oil and use 2 tbsp of water or vegetable stock to saute the veggies. Coat a 5-quart or larger slow cooker with nonstick spray. This curry starts with fresh ginger, garlic, and green chili peppers to provide lots of those classic Indian flavors. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. The garlic, ginger, and turmeric boast tons of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, while the lentils make this a hearty, protein-packed meal. Yes! But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience. Scale 1x 2x 3x Ingredients. Add a bit more water, if it pan … Squeeze out the excess water, roughly chop and set aside. You can thank the full-fat coconut milk and the creamy almond butter for that. Add the vegetable stock and lentils then bring to the boil. Many readers have added sweet potatoes when adding the lentils (I recommend grating them so they melt into the texture-it’s so good! ALL RIGHTS RESERVED ©2020 Allrecipes.com, Inc. 1/2 cauliflower, broken down into florets.