Reserve on a tray. 148 ratings 4.7 out of 5 star rating. You can change your mind at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email you receive from us. Reheat in the oven or under a medium grill if needed. Do not over work the crumble mixture or the gluten in the flour will be activated causing the topping to become heavy! It’s exciting to see amazing British desserts, which I think, like the crumble will make its way to France and Spain. In the evening at Brasserie Blanc there’s a big feast with food, I will have a food book signing and talk to the guests about why I came to England and the marvelous adventures I’ve had in your beautiful country. (*2) You could line the souffle moulds with dried powdered rhubarb and a little sugar. Drain through a sieve into a small saucepan and reserve the rhubarb on a tray. This would give a wonderful texture to the souffle. Good Housekeeping talks to celebrity chef Raymond Blanc about his adoration for a British rhubarb crumble and the secret to making the perfect Tart au Pomme. Preheat the oven to 180°C and heat a baking tray or stone. In a large bowl, mix together the flour and sugar. Chefs Notes: Remove from the oven and serve straight away to your guests. You can open the oven door while the souffles are cooking, they are not such delicate prima donnas. Variations Pour over the sugar … Both my grandparents and parents were both brilliant gardeners and because we’re working class people, the garden was a very important part of providing the food all year round. We use MailChimp as our marketing automation platform. Imagine the petanque and then the soufflé competition – [the meal] is going to finish me off that day – I’m going to have to drink a lot of Ricard. For the rhubarb soufflé base and compote: Place the rhubarb and sugar in a large bowl, mix together well and leave for 30 minutes to macerate so the sugar penetrates the rhubarb to heighten its flavour and help to release its juices. (*2) A tiny drop of lemon juice will change the chemistry of the egg whites and make them less prone to separating. Recipe © Raymond Blanc 2019 You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io, New Bank Holiday announced for Queen's Jubilee, Kate speaks to bereaved military families on video, 11 quotes to help you get to know Kamala Harris, The Queen wears face mask in public for first time, Lorraine shares election commentary from dog Angus, Sophie Wessex attends special remembrance service, GMB's Kate Garraway recalls husband speaking again, The big change coming to Jacqueline Wilson's books, Dawn French on scone debate: 'Cream last! Good Housekeeping talks to celebrity chef Raymond Blanc about his adoration for a British rhubarb crumble and the secret to making the perfect Tart au Pomme. It’s going to be very funny and very convivial. Way back in the seventeenth century, rhubarb commanded as high a price as opium, and four times that of saffron. Finely slice 200g rhubarb 1mm thick and lay out on a tray lined with greaseproof paper. We earn a commission for products purchased through some links in this article. It's a brilliant dessert. With your fingertips rub the softened butter into the mixture until the crumble mixture forms a light breadcrumb texture (1) place evenly on a metal oven tray and bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Oh it’s easy, crumble – any crumble! RaymondBlanc.com will use the information you provide on this form to keep in touch with you and to provide exclusive content, updates and marketing about Raymond Blanc and his projects and businesses. On a medium heat bring it to a boil and cook for 1 minute to thicken into a compote. This will become the base for the soufflé mix. A great variety of different fruits such as apples, pears, apricots, plums etc… may be used for this crumble depending on the season and your personal preference. When the 150g of cooked rhubarb is cool, whisk in the cornflour. By continuing to browse the site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Please do get in touch.We’d love to hear from you. They also help us improve our site. What inspired you to be a chef? There, rhubarb has been grown for hundreds of years and it has now been awarded Protected Designation of Origin, acquiring the same status as Stilton cheese, Melton Mowbray pork pies, and Champagne. See how to cook up this simple and mouth-watering dessert for yourself following his instructions in Stylist's cook-along and recipe, below: Camera and video editing: Claire Morgan Jones. Leave enough space between each mould for the hot air to circulate nicely. A perfectly cooked souffle will rise beautifully and evenly, and will stay that way for at least 4-5 minutes. Run the tip of your thumb around the inside edge of each mould to remove any excess soufflé mix. Where are the best restaurants in France? Slightly overfill the moulds with the soufflé mixture. Dry in the oven for 45 minutes at 90ºC. In a medium saucepan on a medium heat, add the macerated rhubarb and cook for 10 minutes with a lid on, stirring at 2 minute intervals. (*3) I am good and I don’t like to lose. It was prized for its medicinal qualities, more than for its taste. Apple flapjack crumble. Cook for 30 seconds just until the first bubble breaks the surface and remove from the heat. Our website uses cookies to distinguish you from other users and enhance your user experience. On a medium heat, in a medium stainless steel saucepan, melt the sugar and cook for 2-3 minutes until the sugar turns to a light caramel add the butter to stop the cooking. (*1) Remove the rhubarb from the pan and reserve on a plate to cool.In a large bowl mix together the warm crème patissière with the 160g cooked rhubarb puree. Ingredients 300g rhubarb, washed and cut into 2cm batons 125g caster sugar 5g lemon juice I want to beat the British, that’s the whole idea! In a mixer, whisk the egg whites and drop of lemon juice to a medium peak, then slowly add the sugar and whisk to firm peaks. This will give your soufflé a wonderful golden crust. Are you a fan of Raymond Blanc's crumble? Leave to cool, then crush and powder with 30g caster sugar. And then in my apple tart I would put in just one egg and 100grams of cream to create a beautiful creamy topping which will caramelise when you cook it. The cooking time of the fruit will vary though. What’s your all-time favourite French dish? Return the remaining cooked rhubarb to a medium heat and cook uncovered for a further 4-5 minutes to reduce down to 160g. In a small bowl mix the Using a palette knife smooth the tops to create a level surface. Reserve. Briskly whisk a third of the egg whites into the crème patissière and rhubarb mixture to lighten this base. Sweetening the apples with apricot jam … Preheat the oven to 180°C and heat a baking tray or stone. Let us know your thoughts @StylistMagazine on Twitter or in the comments section, 480g Gariguette strawberries, cut in half, 300g rhubarb, washed and cut into 2cm batons. Please select your reason for contacting us: We will treat your information with respect and only use it to contact you with regard to this matter. First in the morning we’re going to work with The Royal High School for Girls, to really inspire them to cook, to show them how simple cooking is. (*1) This should still leave a little bite to the rhubarb, and give the soufflé a wonderful freshness and further burst of rhubarb flavour and texture. By ticking the box below, you acknowledge that the information you provide will be transferred to MailChimp for processing in accordance with their Privacy Policy and Terms. Divide the sugar between the four moulds and roll it around to coat them evenly and completely; tap out any excess sugar. Stir in the strawberries, lemon juice and kirsch. Add 60g unsalted butter, then rub into the flour using your fingertips to make a light … Remove 150g of the cooked rhubarb and juices, and leave to cool in a small saucepan. Well there are two things organised for the day and we may organise a third one – I like to be busy you know! Your message has been sent. Place the hot strawberries into your gratin dishes along with the rhubarb and spoon over the toasted crumble mix. You should go for [Pierre] Gagnaire’s restaurants – he’s one of the greatest chefs on earth, a highly creative man. The texture will be similar to that of a compote, as a lot of moisture has been removed. By clicking below, you agree that we may process your information in accordance with these terms. Then, gently fold in the remaining egg whites. I only knew I wanted to be a chef when I was 19, which was very old because my inspiration came directly from my mum and my grandmother. In a small bowl mix the fresh rhubarb and sugar and leave to macerate for 30 minutes. You’re going to The Great Bath Feast this October – what are you going to be doing there? Finally, fold the flash-cooked diced rhubarb into the soufflé mixture. I think British desserts are hardly known at all across the world and I think that’s the next thing. Place the moulds on the hot baking tray or stone and bake in the preheated oven for 8-9 minutes. We’re going to take eight or ten of these girls and they’re going to do a soufflé for me and I’m going to be the judge – I might even do one myself, just to see if I’m good enough to compete! In a medium non-stick frying pan on a high heat, flash cook the macerated rhubarb for 30 seconds. In the morning I may organise a petanque game – because I’m pretty good at petanque and I would like to take on all of the food critiques and food writers – take them all! A few weeks ago, Stylist was lucky enough to visit chef extraordinaire Raymond Blanc at his culinary home of Le Manoir in Oxfordshire, as part of our food month celebrations. Serve to your guests with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream or crème fraiche. Remove the lid and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes to evaporate excess moisture. So I learnt about all the cycles of the seasons, I knew about the soil – I had a very deep understanding at a very early stage of my life, about food and growing food and putting it on the table. They already have a quite well known cookery school – Mary Berry was a formal pupil there. Your information will not be used for marketing purposes or shared with third parties. Heat the oven to 200C/390F/gas 6. Just use this form to send us your messages, queries or ideas. Any feedback is welcomed. For more information about our privacy practices please visit our Privacy Policy. In our exclusive video, Raymond Blanc gives his own subtle twist to this traditional British recipe, highlighting the importance of fresh, local ingredients and the perfect alchemy of both nations' cuisine. Food Photography © Chris Terry 2019. So you mix the acidity of the apple, the melting quality of the apple with the wonderful, creaminess of the dessert. Divide the rhubarb compote between the soufflé moulds. My grandmother was an extremely well-known cook in her country, and all this knowledge was passed on from her to me. https://www.raymondblanc.com/recipes/pear-and-ginger-crumble-recipe Good Housekeeping participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. Dust each soufflé with icing sugar, leave it to dissolve then dust again. Find out more about Raymond Blanc at The Great Bath Feast by visiting their website, greatbathfeast.co.uk, Foundations and concealers for flawless skin, The best long sleeve dresses to buy right now, This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. Thank you for taking the time to write to us. There he shared with us his recipe for strawberry and rhubarb crumble, a delicious seasonal recipe made using the best of British and French ingredients - with French Gariguette strawberries and English rhubarb so fresh, it was grown literally yards from the kitchen in Le Manoir's legendary gardens. Apple, rhubarb, blackberries, blueberries, pears – give it to me – I think it’s the greatest dish on earth!