Still have questions? fat content is very high, much more so than vegetable or sunflower oil . What are the baking ingredient for cakes ? Do you have a favorite mushroom to cook with? I have started to use lard in my chip fryer. × Why? Lard is a very versatile fat, and it is an excellent option for frying, deep … It only takes 20 seconds! DOSBODS has not been served any secret court orders and is not under any gag orders. Powered by Invision Community, 1. You can reuse oil the next day if no meat or potatoes were fried in it. Most of them use liquid only. The solid has too low of a smoke point and not only smokes like mad but burns and turns the food black. Is cottage cheese used for grilled cheese sandwiches? I wouldn't risk cheese either. So you are heating up the lard before putting it in the fryer and then draining it out again before it sets? It's when you eat something and say "It's time we changed the fat." Which microwave is better charcoal or convenction microwave ? Or what sandwiches can I make with cottage cheese? Why? Filter it before it completely sets. It shouldn't be a problem if it's just an at home Fry daddy or something. If you own those old oil lamps, you can recycle your used oil by straining out the "crumbs" and adding it to the lamp just like you would if you were using lamp oil. I do know that using any oil that solidifies at room temperature with an electric fryer that has an exposed element is dangerous. If I was going to deep fry in lard I would use an old fashioned chip pan, which I could melt the lard in the oven in first. I will ask my mother if I remember, she's nearly 80 and was raised on quality fat, ever spread on bread. Get answers by asking now. Display as a link instead, × I have a mahoosive cauldron of dripping on the top of the stove - similarly, I heat it very slowly to begin with (because there is no ability for convection), which doesn't actually take that long, and then ramp up the temp. I have searched the internet but only find stupid Americans that never directly answer the question. I don't know the answer but given that this is the internet I feel that despite what you said I should waffle on for a few paragraphs then admit in the bottom one I don't have a fucking clue. What's a good topping for a chocolate base? @Byron You'l know when to change the fat. Has anybody tried using lard in a deep fryer? you should generally stay away from saturated fats when deep frying because of their low smoke point. The economy as we knew it might be over, Fed Chairman says. That's the internet in 2020 really. I clear it out occasionally, no set timetable, just when it gets too gunky, usually following several top ups with fresh lard or surplus bacon fat or fat from roast pork. PatronizingGit However this machine fries at a lower level. Do you buy the same things every time you go grocery shopping or spice up your list . Good job I don't live there! × Bus Stop Boxer But you will need to "clarify" it every now and then. Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. no because lard starts to burn at 350 degrees farenheit and if you cook anything at that low of a temperature in a fat then it will be greasy. Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. Upload or insert images from URL. You'll know when it needs changing, you'll see it and smell it. What's the difference? Animal fats will not break down with repeated heating as quickly as vegetable oils, so there is a body of opinion which says they are the healthier option although they are not unsaturated. Yes, actually at a lot of restaurants (well, before the switch to transfat free) used the old lard. Is cottage cheese used for grilled cheese sandwiches? Or what sandwiches can I make with cottage cheese? How many times can I re-use it before changing it? Yes, but you should remember to take it off the pig first. This includes olive oil, which should definitely NOT be heated so high. You can sign in to vote the answer. Because deep frying in a regular pot on the stove is a little precarious (and smelly), I bought her a Bravetti deep fryer this year. I just wanna know if the chips tasted good? I do it through a sieve and bit of kitchen towel. It has been said that many oils should not be heated to temperatures you need for effective deep-fat frying. © DOSBODS, all rights reserved. yes but it can spit and bubble more .   Pasted as rich text.   You cannot paste images directly. It shouldn't be a problem if it's just an at home Fry daddy or something. My spaghetti sauce is delicious by itself but tastes very bland when I add it to pasta. Make sure your pan is good and dry before putting oil in it, otherwise as it heats up, it'll pop BIG time. I wouldn't advise mixing the fuel and oil though. If this happens though, you'll have to let it pop out, it'll take a bit. Do what they've been telling us what is 'green' - pay more tax. It really isn’t helpful if you just make shit up to appease. There was much else to choose from at the breakfast bar, but I only seemed to eat lashings of lard and bacon bits spread on several pieces of toast. You should have no trouble at all. But if it's the kind of fryer you use in a restaurant, then only use what they suggest when you bought it. However, it lost its place in the kitchen to artificial trans fats such as Crisco, which were (wrongly) pushed as healthier alternatives. By In the past, lard used to be one of the most popular choices of cooking fat. Lard continues to be the main fat used in high-temperature Chinese cooking too. DOSBODS has not been served any secret court orders and is not under any gag orders. What's a good topping for a chocolate base. What do you think of the answers? Honest. Yes but you might see yourself piling on the pounds! i wouldn't use in a deep fry..maybe cast iron pan for chicken only...vegetable oil is recommend or peanut oil,in deep Fry's. Use a thermometer to make sure you don't overheat the fat but still cook at the optimal hot temperature. Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. ive been a chef for over 30 yrs and it is ok to use lard just make sure you keep an eye on it when you melt it for the first time. when it's dark brown or lighter if you're fussy, should add I've never deep fried anything with lard. For other things like donuts (for example), I use vegetable oil. You can post now and register later. Because you are going to be using high temps in your deep fryer, I would say no to lard. If you chose to use lard, you can pour it off (or leave it in the fryer) in a cool place until next time. Can someone give me good sides to make with dinner? Ah. Clear editor. My spaghetti sauce is delicious by itself but tastes very bland when I add it to pasta. Yes, decent fish shops use Beef Dripping, so I dont see why not. I am not sure why, but guess that the element will superheat the lard around it before the rest has melted, meaning that convection won't be able to move the now hot lard away from the element as would occur if you used oil. (I plan to melt the lard in the microwave first). Do you have a favorite mushroom to cook with? I will ask my mother if I remember, she's nearly 80 and was raised on quality fat, even spread on bread. Naturally! For the deli fryer which cooks at 375 a liquid veggie blend oil is used. Started Wednesday at 17:04, By Paste as plain text instead, × How do you think about the answers? Does your fryer have a submersible element? no because lard starts to burn at 350 degrees farenheit and if you cook anything at that low of a temperature in a fat then it will be greasy. If your fryer isnt' designed to handle lard specificly, it can cause a lot of problems, and fire hazards. Which is healthier? You will want to change oil when it gets brown, and/or the food is nasty and bitter flavored. Ahh, had an amazing breakfast in Swakopmund Namibia that constisted of lard mixed with crispy bacon bits that I spread on toast. It's just a metal box with the element inside it, which can be removed for cleaning. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Still have questions? Yes it is, but I would mix it with Canola Oil, (a little more healthy product)....... yes Mc D's stopped using it and their fries lost the flavor and crispiness.