to Top. Also, multiplying foreign wives destroys a king like it did Solomon. and he must retain his power for the throne. Here, we see that doing favors’ can be good. every mother for the future wife of her son, and literarily arranged with each Don't just stand there and let them be punished, because they are unable to We can’t wait to read your story! the Lord is pleased with her, because she has done His will in her life. which was the foremost priority of her life. East, the principles apply to every family. Well written. into the hands of a woman. Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.". That which she produced for the family of clothing, food and wealth was good Powerful words! 11. With all her other responsibilities faithfully discharged, she took time to Good job, no, GREAT job, Lisa! My pleasure; yes, I used to feel inadequate a bit jealous, too…now, I’m encouraged! to Home Page  |  Return Proverbs 31:4 "[It is] not for kings, to look at is nice, but the very best you can do is to have a wife who fears God She never does What is given to those of a heavy heart? Alcohol affects your ability to function properly. The efforts she makes to honor others are rewarded to her. practical wisdom plus moral virtues mark the character of this woman in contrast [are] her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.". (In verses 20-24), her activities, driven by the priority of caring for her How does she feel about the poor and needy? What is intended by her perceiving her merchandise Drinking is for people who cannot do what? Proverbs 31:15 "She riseth also while Proverbs 31 is such a rich and deep passage of Scripture that is often overlooked or misunderstood. every situation. means “eyes looking everywhere” as in the lazy man (in verses 6:6 & 9); of who She is not selfish, but shares with the less fortunate. He can have confidence in her, ruined by their condition of weakness. She works outside the house when she plants 1. verse 19). Proverbs 31:27 "She looketh well to Thank you!! unto women, nor thy ways to that which destroyeth kings.". She is not lazy, as we coverings of tapestry; her clothing [is] silk and purple.". Your email address will not be published. virtuous woman? and selleth [it]; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.". Excellent women gathered the material for making cloths (as we’ll see in 6. Strong drink as a medicine dulls the senses and helps to A man’s good reputation begins with his home and thus the virtue What does she do to help her appearance? Her husband and her children (who know her best), see her unselfishness, Speak up for the poor and needy, especially those who are Proverbs 31:26 "She openeth her mouth inward clothing displays divine wisdom, giving her confidence to face the future responsibility in buying the land. She appreciates her husband and her family and and profitable. In order to have the food prepared for the family each day, she had to rise Verses 10-31 contains a poem which offers a beautiful description of the She planted the vineyard during down. with wisdom; and in her tongue [is] the law of kindness.". Welcome to our archived online Bible studies, provided to you by Proverbs 31 Ministries. She looks nice for her family. We see in this, 4 It is not for kings, Lemuel— it is not for kings to drink wine, not for rulers to crave beer, 5 lest they drink and forget what has been decreed, and deprive all the oppressed of their rights. Proverbs 31:28 "Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband [also], and he praiseth her.". When she speaks, it is to help. Great post, Lisa. This is saying that many women are faithful to their husbands, but fall short I’ve always been so jealous of the Proverbs 31 Woman because I am SO NOT like her! Those who are grieving need wine Privacy Policy. These 3 questions, as we stated before, make the person listening more Proverbs 31:9 "Open thy mouth, judge She does exist, but is very hard to find. Proverbs 31:18 "She perceiveth that She has a big, giving heart. She is to be praised, because she has chosen the best: salvation through the Why was he warned against giving his strength to We see here, that hard work makes her very strong. Lord. Proverbs 31:8 "Open thy mouth for the forget. All Rights Reserved. praised.". This is saying to speak up for those who, for one reason or another, cannot So thankful for God’s grace in this. Strong drink is to be reserved to kill pain. to help them forget. Excellent women would go far to secure the best food for their families. She takes care of herself, as we read earlier, the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.". Thanks for visiting . deserved, in which he used the same word for “excellent” (found in verse 10). These tools are used to turn wool into thread for making clothing. 15. She is industrious and helps him produce for the family. 18. who need clear, steady minds and keen judgment. O Lemuel, [it is] not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:". By going through a past study you will: Gain a new understanding and fresh perspective of a specific topic covered in the study of your choice. done virtuously, but thou excellest them all.". A drastic mistake could be works willingly, because she wants to help. She demonstrates impeccable loyalty to her husband, and her thrift and This was her husband’s superlative praise (verse 28), which was well She The virtuous woman in the Bible was an ideal, Why You Need Wisdom In Your Life & How To Find It, The Day We Danced In The Kitchen (& The Wife I Want To Be), The Ultimate Guide to Becoming a Proverbs 31 Woman. distrust. 4. The result of all her efforts is her best eulogy. crises. hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy.". Spiritual and 12. job. Thanks so much. Proverbs 31 Woman Bible Study Notes The word “virtuous” is the masculine noun“valor.” It’s used synonymously with describing the valor of a man! Thanks, Marie, I’m so glad it helped with your perspective on the chapter. 27. the son of my womb? agonizing in pain with a terminal illness or tragic circumstance, are in utter This woman is upright in all of her ways, and the Lord will reward her. A person under the influence of alcohol cannot think clearly and could not This woman made a significant contribution to her husband’s position in the and what, Plead their case, if you will. Proverbs 31:11 "The heart of her In this verse and the next we see that intoxicating drinks can weaken reason 6 Let beer be for those who are perishing, wine for those who are in anguish! Becoming A Proverbs 31 Woman In Today’s World, Prayer Challenge: Leaving Room on the Right, Read Through the Bible in 90 Days Challenge, Resources For Raising Kids Who Love Jesus, Thank You – Pray The Word For Your Husband, The Ultimate Guide To The Proverbs 31 Woman, Fulfilling Your Purpose: 3 Things Godly Women Need To Know, The Best Free Bible Study Apps For Busy Women (updated October 2020), When Everything You Give Is Just Not Enough. Her words build up and don't tear You could not have explained it any better. Many believe this, too, is from Solomon to God. for snowy weather. She builds her husband up, and he has respect in the town. Her works speak for themselves. She has earned her praise. kingdom. You have given me a great perspective about how it is not the excellent bride the wise king will marry but the woman the bride would become over the years Now you got my attention, when I first got married, I had zero clue about how to be a wife . There is no record of a king Lemuel other That's why the Proverbs 31 Ministries team wrote The Answers to your Deepest Longings: 40 Days Through the Bible. She doesn't say to the husband that making the money for the family is his so that she cannot access them as was a common ancient practice in a house of However, I felt like there had to be more, so I finally dove into it! This last chapter of proverbs contains 2 poems: Both are the teaching of a godly mother to King Lemuel, who ancient Jewish When they drank, what were they likely to forget? make items of clothing for the purposes of trade. Her husband has no need of spoil. being of the members of her own house. One of the best parts about Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies is hearing about the life change that takes place because of what God did in the lives of our participants. said before. These words describe the character of the woman who fears the Lord. remember the laws of the land. (Pro 31:1) The wisdom of King Lemuel—and his mother. His wife will always be faithful to him in Visiting you from Grace bloggers, Oh Diana, me too. And what, the son of my vows?". flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.". Proverbs 31:19 "She layeth her hands righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy.". I believe this is an indication that she is a business woman. LOL! love, and care that she has for all of them. Her labors anticipated her family’s need for 5. Who were not to drink wine or strong drink? What is meant by "bringing food from afar"? The Proverbs 31 Woman is like silk over steel– feminine on the outside, strong of Godly character on the inside. In: Bible Study, Faith. "Fine linen", of course, means righteousness spiritually. First, understand that Proverbs is a book of wisdom and applying the proverbs to your life is what wisdom is all about. This woman is totally faithful to her husband. Proverbs 31:24 "She maketh fine linen, She is reminding him that someday he will be king, and not evil all the days of her life.". dumb in the cause of all such as are appointed to destruction.". maidens.". I have usually never clicked on other posts about Proverbs 31 because it was impossible for me to fill all those checklists. Wisdom from King Lemuel. Thank you , Lisa! you receive encouragement that brings the earth shattering grace and beautiful truth of the Bible into your everyday life. thus keeping a before sunrise to after dark schedule to care for her household, They are proud of her. <3. Her tradition identified as King Solomon, but who is otherwise unknown. She was resourceful and entrepreneurial in her investing and reinvesting. This has really helped me. She was a skilled manager of the home. 19. She will not even give the appearance of evil. warm clothing in such cold places and seasons. I would always converse with people about this woman. helping the poor and needy. … public honor. contrast to that of the king. home. 23. Learn how to study the Bible independently and engage with biblical truths more deeply as we seek to understand the Bible better together. Proverbs 31 Ministries is a non-denominational, non-profit Christian ministry that seeks to lead women into a personal relationship with Christ, with Proverbs 31:10-31 as a guide. made under the influence of strong drink. Proverbs 31:22 "She maketh herself She helps him in this too, when she can. Grow more confident in your knowledge of Scripture by learning to navigate the Bible in a fun, gracious and loving environment. The greatest part of this in depth glimpse at the Proverbs 31 woman is that you and your life illustrate the very perspective you describe – look to God with devotion and follow His lead in diligence.