This free website is created with love and a great deal of work. English. If you want, you can have dinner with me. In English, there is also a tense called the present perfect progressive. 4 – What is the Present Perfect Progressive in French? Instead, French usually uses the simple Present Tense (e.g., je mange ) to convey both the simple Present Tense in English (“I eat”/ “I do eat”) and the Present Progressive (“I am eating”). Let’s see how it compares to the English present tenses – yes, tenses with an S…. Improve your French and test our online French lessons for free. The aim of this article is not to give you the French verb conjugations in the present tense: do a Google search for that… It’s all over the internet. For example, je suis en train de parler. The French present tense, also known as the present indicative, is fairly similar to the English simple present, but there are some key differences. We don’t differentiate the action we are in the process of doing with the action we usually do. First, you need to understand when to use the tenses with a clear French learning method and many examples. Want to improve your French? Think you’ve got it? In French, there is only one form to translate the three English forms “simple, progressive and emphatic” and the present perfect progressive. Includes dialog, study guide and full transcript + translations. For example: I think they are being used: je crois qu'ils sont utilisés. Experience how different and efficient our method is. Get Started for Free The present progressive: “I am speaking French”. Based on my students' goals and needs, I've created unique downloadable French audiobooks focussing on French like it's spoken today, for all levels. This notion is then modified by the grammatical mood. “I am waiting for a … Not only is it perfectly acceptable to say je parle maintenant to mean "I’m speaking right now," it’s the most common way to say it. You use it when an action started in the past but is still going on now. If you love it, please consider making a one-time or monthly donation. Share it with us! I’m going to eat as soon as I arrive at home. If you want to stress that you are doing something right at this very moment, you can use the expression être en train de; literally, "to be in the process of." 3. I’m going to fire him if he’s late tomorrow. A simple tense consists of only one verb form (ie: “I speak”). Do you have any tip to avoid making mistakes with 'Le présent progressif : être en train de'? 1. 3. Verb conjugations, like anything else in French, need to be learned with audio so you get the right pronunciation, liaisons and elisions with the negative or the French pronouns. French doesn’t have a Present Progressive tense. Je suis en train de manger! This tense is mostly used with “for” in English. They were being told not to enter the house when he collapsed: ils étaient donné l'ordre de ne pas entrer la maison quand il a eu une perte de conscience. French Grammar tips with Frantastique.Improve your French and test our online French lessons for free. It’s such a shame. The present emphatic “I do speak French”. Much of the above applies to the English present tense, but as you can see in some of the translations, there’s just one French present tense with three possible English equivalents. The present emphatic “I do speak French”. AV + 고 있다 présent progressif est le temps que vous utilisez quand vous dites que vous êtes en train de faire quelque chose. And then freeze when it comes to using the correct verb form. © 2020 Lawless French. The present tense (le présent) tells you what is happening now. Available for iOS, Android, Mac and Windows. Still having difficulties with 'Le présent progressif : être en train de'? A tense indicates when the action of the verb is taking place: now, in the past, in the future. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! The French present tense can talk about any of the following: 5. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. 2. Present Participle as a Verb or Gerund When used as a verb, the French present participle expresses an action that is simultaneous with, but not necessarily related to, the action of the main verb. The present progressive: “I am speaking French”. Not only is it perfectly acceptable to say je parle maintenant to mean "I’m speaking right now," it’s the most common way to say it. In most contexts, Oui, je parle français is a fine translation of "Yes, I do speak French." It’s not just slang. Then, once you understand the tenses, you need to drill. 2. If you don’t have one, sign up – it’s free! It can be when the speaker is speaking, an habitual action or a general truth. Le présent progressif : être en train de The expression être en train de + infinitive verb is used to emphasize actions in progress, similar to the present progressive tense in English. A1 | A2 | B1 | B2 | C1    Find your level. Test our online French lessons and receive a free level assessment! The present simple: “I speak French”. A compound tense consists of one or more auxiliary verb + a main verb (ie: “I am speaking”, “I Your support is entirely optional but tremendously appreciated. Can You Understand Today’s Spoken French? You must be careful to not translate these auxiliary verbs “to be” (progressive form) and “do” Test yourself on the French present tense with these fill-in-the-blank exercises: Note: You must be logged into your Progress with Lawless French account to take these tests. 2. Je parle = I speak, I am speaking, I do speak, I have been speaking.