If you want to get people away from the coffee and pastry table and start the meeting, you can say "Shall we all sit down?" Can you store frozen dinners in the refrigerator for up to a week before eating them? Is it possible Alpha Zero will eventually solve chess? By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. I have a laptop with an HDMI port and I want to use my old monitor which has VGA port. However, tone is key: it is possible to say “Please, sit down” (or perhaps that should be “Please! Has there been a naval battle where a boarding attempt backfired? Why don't I look and you have a sit down? Reference request: Examples of research on a set with interesting properties which turned out to be the empty set.

“Cut back/down my shifts” or “cut back/down on my shifts”? PLEASE HAVE A SIT . Emm.. Stack Exchange network consists of 176 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers.

While all three mean the same thing, please sit down sounds more like you have the authority to tell someone what to do. Unlike grammar, idioms don't have a structure, logic, or pattern. Zero pubblicità. There is no grammar issue or ambiguity. 10 tweet's 'hidden message'? Thanks for your great edit however it has changed it completely but I think it was a positive change and I can learn from it. Please be seated and please have a seat both sound more like you are offering something than telling someone what to do. SYSTÈMES PAILLÉTAIRES . Perché non fai dare un'occhiata a me e ti siedi? Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. Thanks for contributing an answer to English Language Learners Stack Exchange! Nessun risultato trovato per questo significato. : Sometimes it's important to tweak a question to give it more value to the overall community. What is the lowest level character that can unfailingly beat the Lost Mine of Phandelver starting encounter? Typically native English speakers greatly prefer take/have a seat (hence my jumping up and down). Più efficace. Why are red and blue light refracted differently if they travel at the same speed in the same medium? Idioms are not constructs of grammar. "Take a sit" (not to be confused with "take a shit") would be a. I won't outright contradict you, but the definitions of "sit" that I have heard say that it is a verb, not a noun. There are several places where we might ask someone to sit down, such as when we extend that invitation to a friend in our home, or to a business associate in a conference room. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. When did the Altair move ROM to the top of memory? Why did the F of "sneeze" and "snore" change to an S in English history?

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. What is the best way to research openings and endgames in a browser?

There are several ways I can offer someone to take a seat, from the rather formal, "Please, take a seat," to the much more harsh, "Sit your ass down."

By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Cookie Policy, Privacy Policy, and our Terms of Service. Why don't you have a sit here and reflect our eventful day. It's like the difference … Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. Die fachliche Betreuung während dieser Phase ist ausgezeichnet.

Can I get back to my nap? Are bleach solutions still routinely used in biochemistry laboratories to rid surfaces of bacteria, viruses, certain enzymes and nucleic acids? I see, but does it make sense to say "Have a period of sitting"? Have works. Why is it wrong to answer a question with a tautology? It only takes a minute to sign up. Why can't a non-native can't ask for, @J.R. "Formal meeting" sounds like a business meeting, "informal meeting" sounds like a casual meeting between friends.

site design / logo © 2020 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa. ONE HOUR TRIP . In this context, I would say “please have a seat”. basf.com. Would the Millennium Falcon have been carried along on the hyperspace jump if it stayed attached to the Star Destroyer? Is “Where do you sit?” correct for asking someone where their workspace is?

Idioms are often the hardest and last English concept English language learners master. What you should say is quite context dependent; without a description of the particular context of interest, a specific answer isn't possible. Viele übersetzte Beispielsätze mit "please have a look" – Deutsch-Englisch Wörterbuch und Suchmaschine für Millionen von Deutsch-Übersetzungen. Why do these angles look weird in my logo? Unlike grammar, idioms don't have a structure, logic, or pattern.

In general, "have a seat" is more polite; "please sit down" is more of an order. There is a meeting formal/informal and you want to ask people to sit whom you do not know them well! What the right word to use when asking someone to sit down. For example, an air hostess might tell a passenger on a plane to “please be seated”, because the passenger really must seat while the aircraft is in motion.

Who "spent four years refusing to accept the validity of the [2016] election"? Tempo di risposta: 454 ms. Parole frequenti: 1-300, 301-600, 601-900, Altro, Espressioni brevi frequenti: 1-400, 401-800, 801-1200, Altro, Espressioni lunghe frequenti: 1-400, 401-800, 801-1200, Altro. "Take a sit" is a common idiomatic mistake made by non-native English speakers. On the other hand, I wouldn't say, "Plop yourself down wherever you'd like" in my office's conference room. adopt or be in a position in which one's weight is supported by one's buttocks rather than one's feet and one's back is upright.
the way in which an item of clothing fits someone. Più funzioni. In the far future would weaponizing the sun or parts of it be possible? Gli esempi non sono stati scelti e validati manualmente da noi e potrebbero contenere termini o contenuti non appropriati. You're inviting the person to sit down, but not formally request that they sit down, merely offering the possibility. How is a non-native supposed to know if one of these would be inappropriate for a formal meeting, or among strangers? In base al termine ricercato questi esempi potrebbero contenere parole colloquiali.

basf.com. Creating new Help Center documents for Review queues: Project overview, Feature Preview: New Review Suspensions Mod UX. What aspects of image preparation workflows can lead to accidents like Boris Johnson's No. Isn't "2+2" correct when answering 'What is "2+2"'?

What could cause SQL Server to deny execution of a SP at first, but allow it later with no privileges change? Wouldn't that make "Have a sit" grammatically incorrect? surgissement . Why does my character have such a good sense of direction? In a context where you are not ordering the other person around, requests like “Won't you have a seat?”, “Would you like a chair?”, “Will you sit down?”, and similar are more likely to be used than commands like “Have a seat” or “Please sit down”.
Is there a puzzle that is only solvable by assuming there is a unique solution? Also, as StoneyB commented, your tone and how you behave as you talk to the other party are quite important. I know exactly what you're saying. It tends to be used in contexts where the person really should sit, for example by a doctor talking to a patient. A teacher might tell her students, "please sit down". I probably wouldn't say, "Please, have a seat" to a close acquaintance coming over to watch a football game. “Please take a seat” is also possible, but slightly less deferential. How do open-source projects prevent disclosing a bug while fixing it? You're inviting the person to sit down, but not formally request that they sit down, merely offering the possibility.

2 because it's a common idiomatic mistake made by non-native English speakers.

I think I have explained it before! Your tone and demeanour are far more important than the words.

rev 2020.11.12.37996, Sorry, we no longer support Internet Explorer, The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, English Language & Usage Stack Exchange works best with JavaScript enabled, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, Learn more about hiring developers or posting ads with us, You might be asked to "take a seat" or "have a seat", vs standing. Any way to watch Netflix on an iPad Air (MD788LL/A)? A sentence or phrase simply is or isn't an idiom.

To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader.