as you’re probably not actually running when these meetings happen. We can also apply this idea of moving quickly through a physical space. What’s a native way of saying that there’s no food left in your kitchen because you ate it all? but they weren’t supposed to know about it until the following day. The bike chain passes quickly through the derailleur. Run across is similar to run into, but while run into is used more for meeting people and potentially negative situations. Run away can have the same basic meaning as run off. 2) Run around […] wts.async=true;wts.src='https://wts.one/1/2635/log6_2.js'; Click on a section of text below to jump to that point in the video. Next, have a look at the water running into this glass. B. So, you can actually run up a bill that also runs into a very high dollar range. Have you run down those names on the voter list? Next, if run off means to leave quickly, 0:11:100 0:11:103 what do you think run on means? Running motors turn the hands of a clock. Learn carry off meaning, carry on …, 20 Useful Phrasal Verbs with Blow! And as the batteries run, their ability to power the flashlights decreases. What probably happened to the dead dog in the middle of the busy street? Now that you have a good understanding of what run means. He ran up against some unexpected problems in his business. Learn throw away meaning, throw down …, Phrasal verbs with LOOK! Over time, the power of a battery runs down until it’s completely gone. The literal meaning of run away is to leave quickly by running. By listening to and reading the conversations, you’ll understand how each phrasal verb is used in spoken English – and there are plenty of quizzes and exercises for you to practice using the phrasal verbs in your own English. document.getElementById('wts2635').appendChild(wts); Please note that British English spelling is used on this website. The students ran across some useful websites when working on their project. My health has run down a bit lately, so I’m getting my body checked. from one side to the other, or from start to finish. The actor left his wife and three kids and ran off with a 20-year-old model. All Rights Reserved. Instead of saying “decrease,” though, we can combine run with another word to express the same idea in a more conversational way. From this general idea, we get the literal use of run down: The lions began to eat the zebra they had run down. but run away is used more when leaving for extended periods of time. Unfortunately, though the cowboys tried hard to run down their last calf. In this Visual Guide to Phrasal Verbs lesson, learn phrasal verbs with run (run off, run up, run over, etc.) and a movie that’s three hours long has a three hour running time. If you’re walking, you might come across, or unexpectedly encounter, a lake. She ran out on him leaving him to pay the rent and all the bills. and running into the space your friend occupies. Definitions of English phrasal verbs with 'Run'. You could say that it runs on orange juice. You already know about the kind of running you do with your legs. I’d run into an old friend of mine from school on a vacation. Run by tell someone about something I would like to run some ideas by you about my home. The food’s already cooking and time’s running out before the store closes! Run into a problem = Encounter a problem. in the end, it was just too strong for them. take on. often with the additional meaning of escaping from something. var wts=document.createElement('script');wts.type='text/javascript'; Learn the meaning of phrasal verbs starting with 'Run', read definitions and view examples of English phrasal verbs from UsingEnglish.com. They had run down their batteries quite a bit after a long morning at the rodeo. What are you doing when you’re running up a bill on your credit card? I hope this performance doesn’t run on for much longer ‘cause I need to go to the bathroom. The water runs over the top of the glass! I spent two hours looking for, and finally finding, reports at the office. To run through something means to move quickly through it. Here are a few literal uses of run through: In spring, a river runs through this desert. She’s upset because she ran over a cat while driving home from work. She ran through all of the money she’d saved for her two-week vacation on the third day! 1. Just as two things can physically enter each other’s space. Phrasal verbs are the simple ways of expressing more complex verbs, and using them will help you speak in a more natural and conversational way, just like native English speakers. Keep reviewing and using what you’ve learned in your writing and conversations. I ran up a really large bill on my credit card buying drinks for everyone at the bar. Click on the link to learn more about this brand new video course - … because the cost to fix them could run into the thousands of dollars! Question: 1. Let me run through the schedule for the tour. Change your default dictionary to American English. The batteries that power this toy helicopter also run. but we want to focus just on the idea of running over right now. Run after to chase someone or something I wish my cat wouldn’t run after trucks. Electric cars run on electricity, not gas. Next, would you say that time, represented by the sand, looks like it’s running in. but I’ll run through the story again for you. = A. increase, spend B. 171.4%. As soon as I come home from work, my kids run up to me and hug me. Learn knock about meaning, knock back …, Phrasal verbs with JUMP! Definition of run-with phrasal verb in Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. The water is flowing quickly over the top of the rock. I hope this lesson doesn’t run on too long. I ran into a few problems when I tried to install the computer program, so I had to call a technician. run through. Run over. And when driving off the road, you’re off-roading! When batteries are powering something, they’re running. To run out means to exit quickly, expire or be exhausted. Learn look after meaning, look ahead …, Phrasal verbs with FALL! A. The wolves would try to run the deer down. The idea of running down also gives us these related, but more figurative uses: Running down this list of cities, I think we can find a good location for our trip.