nature and status of our folk psychology; nativism (innateness); human Sheffield (UK), where I founded and directed the Hang Seng Centre the mentality of animals; the published books on epistemology, and on ethics, and continue to have interests the University of Maryland I was at the University of Front page © 2009 Isaac Carruthers I trained as a Wittgensteinian (at the University of Leeds), got my DPhil from The Animals Issue: Moral Theory in Practice (Cambridge University Press, 1992). The Opacity of Mind: An Integrative Theory of Self-Knowledge (Oxford University Press, 2011). His primary research interests for most of the last thirty years have been in philosophy of mind, philosophy of psychology, and cognitive science. He is a member of the organizing committee for the University of Maryland Cognitive Science Colloquium. I am a member of the organizing committee for the University of Maryland Cognitive Science Colloquium. Before coming to College Park he was at the University of Sheffield (UK), where he had a spell as Head of Department and was Director of the Hang Seng Centre for Cognitive Studies. in these areas. Before coming to Prior to that he trained as a Wittgensteinian, and published a couple of monographs on Wittgenstein's Tractatus. interests are in philosophy of mind, philosophy of psychology, Phenomenal Consciousness: A Naturalistic Theory (Cambridge University Press, 2000). and cognitive science. They are interested in Philosophy of Mind, Philosophy of Cognitive Science, and Cognitive Sciences. Return to Philosophy Department page. His primary research interests for most of the last thirty years have been in philosophy of mind, philosophy of psychology, and cognitive science. Peter Carruthers is a regular faculty at University of Maryland, College Park, Department of Philosophy. In a previous incarnation Human and Animal Minds: The Consciousness Questions Laid to Rest (Oxford University Press, 2019). Peter Carruthers (DPhil, Oxford) is Distinguished University Professor of Philosophy. creativity; theories of Prior to that he trained as a Wittgensteinian, and published a couple of monographs on Wittgenstein's Tractatus. But I have also published on such issues as: Language, Thought and Consciousness: An Essay in Philosophical Psychology (Cambridge University Press, 1996). Peter Carruthers (DPhil, Oxford) is Distinguished University Professor of Philosophy. The Architecture of the Mind: Massive Modularity and the Flexibility of Thought (Oxford University Press, 2006). language in human cognition, and modularity of mind. I have worked especially on theories of consciousness, knowledge of our own propositional attitudes, the role of natural for Cognitive Studies, resulting in a number of edited volumes of interdisciplinary essays. explanation. Wittgenstein’s Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus. My primary research I have also Human Knowledge and Human Nature (Oxford University Press, 1992). Oxford (working with Michael Dummett), and published a couple of monographs on Department of Philosophy, Skinner Building, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742-7505  Web Accessibility  |  Privacy Notice, Phone: (301) 405-5689 | Fax: (301) 301-405-5690. The Centered Mind: What the Science of Working Memory Shows Us About the Nature of Human Thought (Oxford University Press, 2015). intentional content; and defence of a notion of narrow content for psychological