I made this according to instructions, and while a good basic pesto pasta recipe, there was something missing. Return the drained pasta to the hot pan, and add a tablespoonful or so of pesto, adding your reserved pasta water a little bit at a time until the sauce reaches the desired consistency. After the onion/pesto mixture cooked, I added 1/2 cup of chicken broth and a 14.5 ounce can of petite diced tomatoes, heating another 5 minutes. In A-typical allrecipes fashion I actually stuck exactly to each recipe so that we could truly judge them fairly. I then added the pasta to the pan and mixed well, serving right out of the frying pan. Pour the pesto into a jar and cover with a little extra oil, then seal and store in the fridge. Just before draining, scoop out 1 cup of of the pasta cooking water. It will keep … I was struggling to choose a recipe, so I decided to try three different pesto recipes from this site. The recipes were Easy Pesto by Rebecca Jane Thompson, Pesto Sauce by Sara, and Simple Garlic and Basil Pesto by FuzzyGreenMonkey. The starch in the water will help to thicken the sauce and allow it to coat …