Comparison of tenses - English online exercises. I recognized him immediately as I had seen him before.. 5. When I arrived there Sarah had already left. Este sitio web utiliza cookies para mejorar la experiencia de navegación. Past simple, past continuous, past perfect. The form of the past perfect continuous is. These activities began before a point of time (or another action) and continued to that point. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. Go back to the grammar exercises page Click here to download this exercise in PDF (with answers) Past Perfect Exercise 1. What surprised the twins when they reconnected? I came in the morning - before that.) (He started three years ago and last summer he was still renovating his house.). Past simple + Past perfect Exercise 7 Tereza's story about her trip to Vermont. written, made, sung). Nature vs. Nurture. Past simple We use the past simple to talk about completed actions in the past.. We ate out yesterday. The answer key is included. (I am still practising.) Beneficios de aprender idiomas para el cerebro de los niños, La brecha de un millón de palabras de los niños que no leen en casa. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. By continuing you agree to our use of cookies. Exercise 1. I arrived at the garage. I ______ English for 5 years now. (three individual completed activities) I have been practising since the morning. 2. Complete the sentences below by putting the verb in brackets into the past perfect simple or past perfect continuous: 1 It was a relief to find the documents. Past simple + Past perfect Exercise 4 Rewrite sentences. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. When she opened the door, she pretended that we weren’t there and she went to her room. I had been in the room since breakfast. Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verbs in brackets. It was Sunday afternoon. (Past perfect - They had been writing tests since the lessons started. Some verbs are irregular. For activities that can continue for a long time we can use both the simple and continuous (work, run, study, travel, sleep ...). Test 1: Past perfect simple vs continuous. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. (the action is finished) In a story, we use the past simple to talk about past events in chronological order; i.e. The patient had died before the doctor arrived.. 2. Before the lesson ended they had written three tests. If the sentence order is the same as the order of the activities, we can use the past simple. If we use after in a time clause the perfect is much more usual. Past simple We use the past simple to talk about completed actions in the past.. We ate out yesterday. working, trying, writing, singing ... ) We (meet) many times before. I arrived at the garage. Negative statement: I had not been doing. His original words were: ”I have been to London.” However, in. Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verbs in brackets. In 1980's she had worked in Wales. In 2001 Angie worked in Glasgow. Find out more about cookies and how to change your cookie settings. Choose the past perfect or the past simple. This is a worksheet for teaching the differences between the past perfect and past perfect continuous at pre-intermediate level. Stephen was pretty tired. Past simple + Past perfect Exercise 8 Carol got lost. worked, travelled, tried, different forms for irregular verbs, e.g. After Zidane had scored the goal the fans went wild. When I went to the car park, I found that my car ______ . Read the web article about twins . Last summer Josh had been renovating his house for two years. Maria had finished her meal by the time I arrived. simple past), English Tenses exercises (Angie left her job in Glasgow in 1989. He had worked all day. The door bell rang at last. This past perfect exercise practises making the positive and negative forms of the tense. If clauses - conditionals 1. I 18 was goinghad gonewent there quickly and I 19 had openedopenedwas opening the door. Past perfect simple vs past perfect continuous. Before midnight Paul had been translating the article. This is a worksheet for teaching the differences between the past perfect and past perfect continuous at pre-intermediate level. I have been in Paris for a week. the main events of a story. In the first case I did not know that I had to pay in cash. In this story the sentences are in a reversed order, because in reality, first Jim called Jane and then he returned. Jim returned at 4 o'clock. Past perfect simple exercises PDF Printable worksheets with answers. Positive statement: I had been doing. But: It was exhausting. I couldn’t believe my eyes. When the film ended he switched off the television. When she had washed the dishes she had a cup of tea. Simple past tense 1. (I came to Paris a week before I met Annie and I am not there anymore.). It was very strange. Past simple + Past perfect Exercise 6 Make short dialogues. In time clauses after when we use the past simple if we want to say that the first activity led to the second and that the second followed the first very closely. They had told me to pay in cash. Stephen was pretty tired. Past simple and past perfect exercises PDF Compare these two tenses. If we refer to a number of individual events or events that were repeated, we must use the simple. I couldn't pay. When the plane landed Tim had travelled all day. Negative statement: I had not done (I hadn't done) Tom had talked to his wife Exercise instructions. Exercises Past Perfect (I had gone) and Past Perfect Continuous (I had been going). Future 1 I paid and left immediately. Past perfect tense grammar exercise, fill in the blanks with the verbs in parenthesis in past perfect We also use the past simple to talk about past habits or past states. He got up as soon as he had heard the alarm clock. the main events of a story. Jim called Jane on the way back home. Click here to review how to make the past perfect. I wish I had stayed with my friend during his last days.. 6. I had not eaten anything since the morning. The main verb is used in the infinitive form in questions and negatives. Click here to download this exercise in PDF (with answers) Past simple + Past perfect Exercise 3 Join two sentences in one. He had always planned it. We use the past continuous for actions in progress in the past or longer actions interrupted by shorter actions in past simple. The past perfect continous and the present perfect continuous are basically very similar. (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); After they had spent their holiday in Spain they the main events of a story. Comparison of tenses simple past or past perfect with free online exercises, passive rules and passive voice examples. When I met Annie I had been in Paris for a week. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Exercise 2 - Past perfect simple and continuous. I 7 wentwas goinghad gone into the kitchen, 8 had openedwas openingopened the fridge and 9 pouredhad pouredwas pouring some milk in a big glass. We use the past continuous the set the scene in a story. (to steal) 2. We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. Use contractions where possible. (He did not finish it. John ______ in Paris for 4 years before he could speak French fluently. They told me after my arrival. 2. 2. When she opened the door, she pretended that we weren’t there and she went to her room. It is used to refer to activities that were completed before a point of time. He was still translating at that moment.). He returned at 4 o'clock and now she appeared at the door. Sara went home before lunch.) Comparison of tenses matching exercises, quizzes The past perfect continuous tense is made with the auxiliaries had been + present participle (-ing ending, e.g. (the action is finished) In a story, we use the past simple to talk about past events in chronological order; i.e. There are 3 different activities in which students are asked to choose the most suitable verb tense, put the verbs into the past perfect simple or continuous and complete a dialogue. In 2005 I had lived in the same place for ten years. Complete her story. English online simple past or past perfect exercises with answers. 1. twins, have always fascinated scientists. 2 He was dismissed, even though, in his opinion, he (not/do) anything wrong.. 3 It was not the first time I’d met him. There are 3 different activities in which students are asked to choose the most suitable verb tense, put the verbs into the past perfect simple or continuous and complete a dialogue. As the fire broke out, people hurried out of their house.. 3. My mother 6 had givengavewas giving me a jar of delicious home-made biscuits. 1 Grammar in the Real World A Have you ever reconnected with someone from your past? Past simple, past continuous, past perfect – grammar chart . Exercises free and with help function, teaching materials and grammar rules. The past simple is used for activities that happened some time ago. The difference is, however, that in the present perfect we refer to the present times.