Required fields are marked *, Rate this recipe It’s cool and rainy here in northern California so I set it in the microwave to rise. I used 8oz per “cup” before reading your comment of 120g per cup. When dough is … Amazing! Best recipe ever! I have a cast iron Dutch oven but it isn’t ceramic coated. Recently on Instagram I asked my followers what types of things they (you) would liked to learn how to do this year. Does it split really weird? It was so easy to make and equally as good. Thank you for your feedback Catherine. For the other high altitude people – we’ve had good luck baking this at 425 for the initial bake (with the lid), and 375 for the final 10 minutes. Holding two sides of the parchment paper, lower the paper and dough into the hot Dutch oven. Wish I would have noticed before I ordered. So, if you…, Cocoa and Almond Thumbprint Cookies from Alsace (Linzele), Chocolate Almond Twice-Baked Cookies from Provence (“Croquants”), Classic French Butter Brioche (Brioche Pur Beurre), Orange Anise Sugared Easter Brioche (Mouna), Chicken in Creamy Mushroom Sauce (Poulet à la…, Crispy Duck Fat Potatoes (Pommes de Terre Sarladaises). I have one as well…one of the reasons I bought it was for artisan bread…if I would have known about these kinds of simple recipes before, maybe I would have spent the money elsewhere, ha! The dough will have risen slightly and should bounce back when gently poked. Storage Notes: The bread is best within 2 days of baking but will last, well wrapped, at room temperature for up to 4 days. I always just mix up the dough the day before, but technically you could do it early in the morning and have it for dinner as well. I like to use Maison Orphee’s fine Grey seal salt and  La Baleine, from France. Pair it with a pot of soup, or a bottle of our olive oil for a sweet gift! I’m definitely more of a visual learner. We’ve been wrapping it in a flour sack towel and placing it cut side down (still wrapped) in the microwave. Lightly dust the top of the dough with flour and dust the work surface around it as well with flour. I have one of those baskets too, love it! Turns out wonderful. Store was all out of flour. I have a 2.5 quart Corning Ware dish with a lid, do you think that will work? The yeast-base dough This artisan bread turned out beautifully – definitely gift-worthy. This is one of my favorite things to gift new neighbors or a friend who needs dinner. This fact is both useful and dangerous. Had to slice off sides and bottom. How important is the lid? So. It will work just fine and be delicious! It was pretty but….crust was hard as a rock and the inside was like rubber. Among the criteria for featured comments: likes by users, replies by users, previous history of valuable commenting, and selection by moderators. Learn how your comment data is processed. This commenter is a Washington Post contributor. !! World Watchers consistently offer thought-provoking, timely comments on international affairs. This bread is the easiest thing in the WORLD and my teenage daughter, who is quite reserved with her compliments, said “Mom, it tastes just like a restaurant – so good!” Thanks, Our Best Bites. It helps in leavening breads and creates an airy crumb. I’m trying to picture that in my head. Allow to rest for 30 minutes. I keep self-rising flour in my freezer (lasts longer) JUST for this recipe! 1/3 cup + 1 tbsp (50g) whole wheat flour It’s the perfect pot for braising Pot Roast, making dishes like my Oven Braised Chicken, Honey Balsamic Drumsticks, cooking soups on the stovetop and more. Do the same with the left side. I’ve been making this bread for a few years now, and you are right, it is so easy! All has been fine since I allowed it to be cooler. It literally is the easiest bread I’ve ever made and is so delicious! It doesn’t rise a TON, but it does rise. Yep, a regular cast iron dutch oven will work great! For people who don’t want to buy a Dutch oven, I’ve also had success using my crockpot removable ceramic insert, heating that bad boy up just like you would a Dutch oven, and then stretching foil across the top to make a “lid” and trap the steam.