I was backpacking for six months and I was in a guest house in Cape Town and met this wonderful lady from Canada, she was probably 80 and a great-grandmother and had all the pics to prove it! People are often astonished that I frequently travel alone. I am in my 60s. She explains that, for single women travelers, traveling among couples feels like being a fifth wheel and is unpleasant. From Cape Town I think she was going to Madagascar and then to India where she wanted to stay at an ashram. Packing. And remember - senior travel doesn't have to be different: a lot of it is about attitude. I am no longer happy with my job and I'm getting older! FORGET anything you have to carry or wheel. At 59, you're a spring chicken when it comes to travel. Trafalgar: some people are getting refunds, some are not. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/19368620802594136 Now I'm in Dubai, no money left. Free web access is now everywhere. I LOVE the stimulation of travelling and the activity of overland travelling. I would be most grateful if you can help me. !I am a mid-age (50s) woman planning travel to South AsiaHow can I find out about solo travel for senior citizens?Am I too old to travel solo? I have spent the last three years visiting places I could not while I was married. Bring foam earplugs. Comment from Elaine: I started travelling on my own abroad at the age of 26. Journeywoman ™ Enterprises Inc. They have seen both the joys and sorrow of life and are so ready to be in the moment. I was in my 40s when I backpacked across Africa and had the time of my life. Where they were phrased as questions, I tried to answer them and invited comments. My friend Laura and her Rig. Suggestion - take one bag. The Woman Network also comes highly recommended and receives excellent reviews. Mix and match and if you wear the same thing over and over, who cares? She was sleeping in a quad with everyone else and even stayed up to party a couple of times! I wish to apologise for not making an effort to visit here for quite sometime as I have been busy helping my daughter with her move to London in late January. Seasoned solo travellers might retire from their careers, but they don’t retire from travel. And one rule I've always traveled by is this: if I can't carry my own bag, stuff doesn't come with me. I am 73 years old and have been traveling solo for 25+ years. It's more of a shorthand to say physical effort will be watched more closely and you won't be going to bars every night - unless you want to, of course! Why Women Travel Solo. I am scared and excited. Be a traveler, not a tourist. If there is some info that you can't find but would like, please let me know. I will check out the blogs suggested. My husband was not interested. Avoiding jet lag and deep-vein thrombosis are things you should take seriously. If you are still searching for it, it is never too late to find love. Marilyn Drews first ventured to Europe in her early 30’s. However, I had given myself a good talk and I am starting to become motivated again. 3. This is consistent with my experience. The clothes wont matter, you will NOT wear all you think. Woman in Paris: dicktay2000 For this trip which will happen towards the later part of May, I have decided to focus my travel in England, Scotland and possibly Ireland. How about women over 70 - is there a place for us as independent travellers? Few have upper age limits but if you're concerned most have websites so you can check. It is more fun to do it on the frugal side for me but if I really want something I will not hesitate to get it. And if you're a bit nervous about tackling the world on your own, you could try to find a travel buddy for at least part of your trip (this page on female travel companions might help). We are on the move! GO!! Ranier. I guess it's the logistics of it all. A money belt is a good way to keep money and personal documents out of the hands of a thief. In some countries, age is highly respected, for example in parts of Asia or Africa, so you should have no problems at all. I also like to learn a tiny bit of language(please, thankyou and I am sorry I don't speak your language do you speak English) I have found that IF I start off by apologizing then many people feel comfortable trying out their English. Even so, I left with very little and was on a tight budget as I traveled, especially the first year. journey. It is possible to pack light because generally, most everything is available in large cities. Then in 2012-13 I drove around Australia for five months on my own - did 35,000+ kms, and in 2014 flew to China again. Not sure, if I should include Wales as well. Never, ever let anyone make you feel like you're "too old" for anything. Minimal clothes and underwear changes, include a sarong for various uses; a small, thick hand towel does fine. I'm a career transition coach as well as a women's retreat provider and writer so I know very well just what it takes to begin life anew at any age. If you use debit cards or credit cards your funds are converted at the wholesale exchange rate (what you see in the newspaper) rather than the retail rate (at banks or cambios de change). I can't speak personally, since I've never taken this kind of tour. It is just a case of putting one foot in front of another - the same as at home. I just traveled to Cuba - alone, as a teacher. Doing a bit of surfing I also found Africa in Focus for photography - they specifically state they don't cater to the gap year market. Go girl! I am a mid-age (50s) woman planning travel to South Asia. You a re never too old! You are guaranteed to enjoy them. Some hotels and hostels have a safe available to guests. If you use this, make certain you count your money and record the amount, as hotel staff in less than reputable accommodations can sometimes liberate some smaller amounts of cash. I buy things locally. I originally took my CPAP in its carrying case and lost it in the Gare de Lyon when a thief mistook it for a camera bag. I hope when I am your age I will demonstrate your chutzpah. The Solo Travel Society on Facebook has over 230,000 fans and 63% of them are women. What an inspiration she was to me and as you will be to others. I wash one set out each night and take one pair of shoes that I wear. She walked it again in 2007 at the age of 80. This is consistent with my experience. I DO think you should use this site and ask questions on the forums of the places you'll be visiting. Do you like to be around other people or by yourself? As you interact with different people and their cultures, you will get to understand them and truly appreciate them. I wear one change of clothes and carry one. Another option is to lock the money in your suitcase or pack. I distribute it in two or three places in my pack so it is hard to find. You may also put a decoy near the top with expired credit cards and a small amount of local and U.S. dollars. Locks may deter a thief and, if not, can make it difficult for him. Thieves also do not want to risk being caught so after finding the decoy will move on to another victim. Cloudflare Ray ID: 5f154d412cf43609 You are young, keep going till 90 (what is my goal). I have been to Australia twice...1.5 to 2 months at the time. First, your itinerary sounds wonderful. I'm planning to travel Sydney/Singapore/Sicily/London/Chiang Mai/Sydney. I live in New Zealand. My initial plan was to get a Euro rail pass to visit Italy, Greece and Spain but that may be overly ambitious so perhaps I should just focus on Spain. It is much better to assume that perhaps they were shy about their limited English then to think the locals are unfriendly. I leave a second debit card with a friend or family member in case the card I carry is lost, stolen or demagnetized.  I have negotiated with my bank to eliminate transaction fees if I keep my balance to a certain amount.  Most transaction fees are about $5.00 per withdrawal. I have met and traveled with young men and women in their late teens and early twenties.  We have shared rooms, tents, and costs for car rentals or tours. Rio Grande Travel is one example. Loneliness is rare when traveling alone. Start here! I've used them to get from one venue to another, gives my feet and brain a rest. Traveling is one of the most fulfilling and exciting activities that you can explore later in life. There has been no trouble whatsoever. You can be as independent as you like. I met her in Rome on a six-month tour of Europe - she had a single large backpack and she was 76. 40 percent of the solo travelers were female. You can check your room number once you are on the lift. I really believe that the only thing ever holding you back is yourself. To permit the use of cookies please click the I accept all cookies button. She traveled to Spain with me and my two 20-something cousins last year and she regularly travels in the States at least two or three times a year. Her lifelong travels filled my head with places I wanted to visit when I got old enough and she's still inspiring me today! This middle of the road strategy has worked for me. As others have suggested, carry only mix and match things. In some countries it is not cost efficient to use a Eurail pass because buying point to point tickets is much less expensive. Comment from Shirl: I'm 61, female and made the decision this is what I really want to do. We are divorced, widowed, have disposable income and are living longer. Comments from Sil: A friend and I walked El Camino de Santiago in Spain in 2002.