The night is coming: Other versions evoke the boyegman. sorry, I should have triple checked the auto-correct:(, The third line should read”in nube d’oro” In their mother’s heart!”. I’d love to hear about your favorite Italian lullaby in the comments below. Who will I give this baby to? se lo tiene una settimana The cow with her calf, It’s about a few baby farm animals going to sleep with their mothers. la gatta coi gattini; The lullaby itself was originally recorded and transcribed by Alberto Esposito, whose YouTube channel is not to be missed by anyone passionate about Southern Italian culture. la vacca col vitello, Learn the meanings of the lyrics. During this time, I learned two Italian lullabies that I think you will enjoy: “Brilla, Brilla La Stellina” and “Stella, Stellina.” I was going to write about “Ninna Nanna, Ninna Oh,” but it is about giving your baby to an old witch and a mysterious dark man (uomo nero), so my wife told me it was too creepy to put on the website. My Nonna used to sing stacha menacha (spelling may not be right ) do you have this. La tua mamma sta con te.”, Here is a link to all of the lyrics (I think): https://www.scribd.com/document/425408762/italiano. Who will I give this baby to? la notte si avvicina: Ninna nanna, ninna oh It is sung in the Casertano dialect of Neapolitan, which you can tell from the way the infinitives end in -ane: for example, “addevenane”. For a whole year he’ll keep him, If I give him to the white wolf, https://www.scribd.com/document/425408762/italiano, Adriano, Il Cane di Pompei (Hadrian, the Dog of Pompeii), Swimming in the Deep: A Review of In altre parole (In Other Words). Dormi, dormi mio tesoro An Assimilation Story: Interviewing My Father. Play a recorded lullaby in the dark, right before bed to dream deeper. la mucca é nella stalla. Saturday is called happy heartfor he who has a beautiful wifewho has a beautiful wife sings all the timewho has money always countsPoor me, I do not sing or countI have chosen and ugly one without anything. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. Love these lullabies. It also connects us with the moment when our mothers were held by their mothers, and so on and so forth, stretching back through time to the first mother, who some may identify with the Black Madonna. Play it while making offerings to your distaff line. Ninna nanna, nanna fate My girl, go to sleepThe angel puts her to sleep. What a great memory of your nonna. Questo bimbo a chi lo dò? Questo bimbo a chi lo dò? And they’re all asleep la fiamma traballa, Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Before they played one of their songs based on a traditional Salentino lullaby, Mauro Durante took the stage and introduced it by explaining to the audience that a mother who sings her child a lullaby is not just trying to make her child fall asleep. The flame flickers, When I was born, I was born at seaI was born among the Turks and among the Moors, The person who said, child come to me, took me and picked me up in their arms. Se lo dò all’uomo nero Your mother wanted to upset youwhen she found out that you chose meTake this woman that they want to give you [as a wife] who is more graceful and more beautiful than metake her graceful and graciousa bit short from the beltif she makes her some skirtsshe saves on silk, threads, and sewingsNonna nonna, my child, the angel puts her to sleepif he puts her to sleep now that she is smallWhen she is big she will sleep aloneI would like that the sea drown meand news of me there would not beand after one year the wave would send me awayon top of a rock, eaten by the fish. La pecora e l’agnello, I hope you enjoy singing the above lullabies to your children. As children, my nonna and mother would sing lullabies to my sister and I. Lullaby, sleep faries, Here are the lyrics with the english translation: The cow is in the stable, Sing it to protect a small child, animal, or other vulnerable spirit in need.