1 teaspoon real vanilla. To make wafers: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. It was Christmas dinner at an old boyfriend’s house, years ago. color: #f37226; Put in the oven for 8-10minutes or until golden brown on top. In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks until they are light in color. Whisk in the remaining milk. (You can unsubscribe anytime), 3 egg yolks, save the egg whites for meringue. In a separate bowl, beat the 6 egg whites and slowly add in the remaining ½ cup sugar until a stiff meringue forms and then pour over pudding. Sugar needs to be greatly reduced, but I’m not sure by how much and how it would affect the cooking and thickening. Let stand 30 minutes to serve warm. Beat heavy cream with sugar on high speed until it forms stiff peaks. Preheat oven to 350°F. Love all things pudding? This takes awhile, up to 15 minutes. Peel the bananas and cut each into 1/4-inch slices. #zrdn-recipe-container .zrdn-tag-item a, #zrdn-recipe-container .zrdn-tag-item{ Be careful not to over-beat the cream, or you will have butter instead of whipped cream! #zrdn-recipe-container ul.bullets li:before, Thanks for sharing the recipe! And this recipe is a hit not only in the south, but everywhere. Whisk the eggs into the milk mixture until combined. Check out the recipes below for some more deliciousness: Tell us how you top your dessert in the comments below. But f you’re really craving something rich and luxurious, switch to a homemade chocolate pudding instead! Allow to cool, then cover and refrigerate. #zrdn-recipe-container ul.zrdn-bordered li:before{ https://foodal.com/recipes/desserts/old-fashioned-vanilla-pudding This should take about 15-20 minutes. Cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens and bubbles, about 12 minutes. Store Banana Pudding in the refrigerator. Now I just need to try some of them. Add the sugar and flour to a medium saucepan off the heat. Pour half of the pudding over the wafers and bananas in the pan, while it’s still hot. Trust me when I say this is the ideal banana cream pie hack, without all the work that’s required to make the classic recipe. Combine all dry ingredients (except for ½ cup of sugar to use later for meringue) in a large pot. I know that some people don’t like pudding, but I’ll say it: those are some crazy people. www.backofthebox.com/recipes/desserts/original-nilla-banana-pudding-g.html In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks until light in color, then. Slowly add wet into dry mixture and stir until completely dissolved and cook over low heat until thickened to pudding consistency. Here’s the skinny on disabling them. Learn how your comment data is processed. Add egg yolks and half of the milk, whisk until well combined. 6 cups whole milk Old Fashioned Banana Pudding is a favorite Southern dessert that is topped with a light pillow of Meringue. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a small bowl. Watch the meringue carefully, remove from oven when meringue is golden. This also happens to be a delightful dish to bring along with you to a party, potluck, or picnic, because it’s so simple to make in advance and transport. #zrdn-recipe-container ol.zrdn-counter li:before, Place the saucepan over low heat. } While the pudding is chilling, beat 1 cup heavy cream with 1 teaspoon of sugar until the mixture forms stiff peaks. Homemade Banana Pudding is the perfect Southern dessert.The combination of vanilla pudding, made from scratch, vanilla wafers, fresh bananas, and meringue make up a delectable treat. Whisk in the remaining milk, and add the unsalted butter. Once ready, remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350° My ex’s mom would spend hours making the banana cream pie, preparing every component from scratch. This delicious, creamy Banana Pudding Recipe is made with from-scratch vanilla pudding, sweet bananas, and vanilla wafers, for the best version of banana pudding--period. To make the meringue, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar with a mixer until foamy. Don’t be surprised to hear your guests emitting moans of happiness from the first bite to the last. Powered by WordPress. ★☆. It was creamy and rich, flavorful, and completely addictive. Cook the mixture until the butter has melted and the mixture is thick, stirring frequently. There is something about the cooked from scratch pudding topped with the beautiful meringue that makes this magic. Pour the rest of the pudding mixture on top. One of the toughest things about getting that recipe right is preparing the perfect pie crust, no easy feat for the less baking-inclined among us. With layers of Nilla Wafers, homemade pudding, and meringue you just can’t go wrong. Be sure to visit my sister, Kippi’s, website for more fabulous recipes and creative ideas:  Kippiathome.com. Some of these links may be affiliate in nature, meaning we earn small commissions if items are purchased. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. border: 2px solid #f37226; Once the custard has thickened, remove the mixing bowl from the sauce pan, then stir in the vanilla extract. Serve garnished with homemade whipped cream and banana slices, and extra cookies if you like. 2 ½ cups sugar Line the bottom of a 9-inch square glass baking dish with a single layer of vanilla wafers, and top with a layer of banana slices. I remember the first time I had banana cream pie. COPYRIGHT © 2020 ASK THE EXPERTS LLC. Flavor was delicious, but way, way too sweet. You can get creative with extra mini vanilla wafers, banana slices, and homemade whipped cream. Pour the rest of the pudding mixture over the top. Vanilla pudding might seem boring, but the rich flavor and gorgeous texture of this from-scratch version are components that make it anything but. You can even sprinkle the top with some toasted coconut for an extra flavor kick. Who doesn’t love the delicious combination of bananas and pudding? It’s easy to make ahead and chill until you are ready to serve it. Serve garnished with more vanilla wafers and sliced banana if desired. And be sure to come back and rate the recipe once you’ve tried it for yourself! #zrdn-recipe-container ol.zrdn-solid li:before, } Here is more about what we do. ★☆ 1 box Nilla wafers (12 oz box) 6 eggs, separated This is my Grandmother’s recipe. Don’t like them? Pour 1/2 of the pudding over the … This easy, old-fashioned Banana Pudding is made from scratch with layers of homemade vanilla pudding, Nilla wafers, sliced bananas, and whipped cream.. Homemade banana pudding falls in line with other classic American Dessert recipes I’ve been making lately, including Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp, Better than Sex Cake, Muddy Buddies, and Scotcheroos. If you want to make your pudding really stand out, take some time to decorate the top. With additional writing and editing by Allison Sidhu. ***To prevent the Meringue from shrinking, beat in the sugar slowly, beat well after each addition to insure the sugar has dissolved. Then, in a different bowl, combine all wet ingredients (to include the 6 egg yolks only and set aside egg whites for meringue). This old fashioned banana pudding is something you’ll want to make over and over again. #zrdn-recipe-container {border-style:dotted;}#zrdn-recipe-container a {color:#f37226;}#zrdn-recipe-container {border-width:1px;}#zrdn-recipe-container {border-color:#000;}#zrdn-recipe-container {border-radius:15px;}. The trick is to stir continuously and not to get too hot so you don’t burn the pudding. Rate this recipe FOODAL® IS A REGISTERED TRADEMARK OF ASK THE EXPERTS LLC. Line a 9-by-9-inch glass baking pan with one layer of vanilla wafers. That’s why this old fashioned recipe is a pure revelation. Measure out all remaining ingredients as listed in the ingredients list. Place half of the banana slices in a single layer over the vanilla wafers. https://www.thespruceeats.com/layered-banana-pudding-recipe-3059897 There are few desserts that are more comforting than old fashioned banana pudding.