‎11-22-2017 similar to a network drive). Is the folder on a particular users onedrive for business site or a sharepoint online document library? To create a classic team site in SPO admin center, go to "site collections" and select New->Private Site Collection in the ribbon. similar to a local drive) and several SPO doclibs (which are shared among multiple users, i.e. We have the same needs and I will try the steps you have posted here. Win 2012 R2 GPMC missing "File Explorer" from Windows components, View this "Best Answer" in the replies below », Are you smarter than most IT pros? Otherwise, a Modern Team Site (i.e. For each user, the OneDrive client (AKA NGSC) can sync both the ODfB doclib (which is individual, i.e. I have a problem where I set the Office 2016 Workgroup Templates to: "C:\Users\Public\Company\Office Templates" (with quotes included in the GPO), but it's not setting it in Office 2016. I asked for a separate account to be set up for this for the following reasons: Secondly, when you talk about a Classic Team Site, are you talking about files that are uploaded under the Teams app to a specific team? Hence you should use a Group doclib instead, or a doclib in a classic Team Site. For an introduction to Office 365 Groups see, for example, https://en.share-gate.com/blog/office-365-groups-explained. I don't even see a sync button to do so, whereas I do see a sync button within the OneDrive shared folder and the SharePoint folder to sync. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. In a nutshell, a Classic Team Site is a SharePoint team site without a connected Office 365 Groups. Thank you for your response. When I go to Word - Options - Advanced - File Locations, the above path is not recorded and is instead blank. Did you add the amdx templates for Office 2016 in a Central Store for GPO? I've been looking at using a GP script to run an odopen command that makes OneDrive sync a sharepoint library containing these templates; but doing this without requiring user interaction is currently evading me. The sync worked successfully this time. Jan 6, 2017 at 09:53 UTC. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. (Of course) you don't need to be a Global Administrator to sync a doclib. Firstly, the admin privileges I was given and then asked to have removed from my Jessica Kavanagh account were Global Admin privileges which would have allowed me to alter settings across the whole organization. No, we have a domain. Every user is, by default, the Site Collection Administrator of his/her ODfB. ... For instance if there are form documents used throughout an office, department, household, or business, they are best stored as Workgroup Templates. I'm assuming an "external user" is someone who is not part of the organization's Office 365 account. Configuring workgroup templates in Office 2016 and O365 with no local file server What's the current best practice for workgroup templates on Office365? When I provide technical support to my colleagues as we roll this out, I will also need to be seeing roughly what they're seeing on my own computer. In answer to the first question: Yes, but we haven't done this before for Office 2016 specifically. https://support.office.com/en-us/article/What-is-a-document-library-3b5976dd-65cf-4c9e-bf5a-713c10ca... https://en.share-gate.com/blog/office-365-groups-explained. October 28, 2020. Save documents, spreadsheets, and presentations online, in OneDrive. I imported the office 2016 admx template files and created myself a new GPO. 3. Have you applied the GPO to the users OU? (3) I was not able to sync the folder within the team to my own business e … Sync this library to your device for easy access" dialog was because my browser wasn't showing me a popup that asks whether I want to open the OneDrive app on my computer or not. If OneDrive for Business should not be used for permanently sharing documents, then how can I provide a solution to this situation? So you don't have a domain, correct? Currently that option is set to "A site that uses one of the new team site or communication site templates, or a classic site." But when I log in with my Templates account as the owner of the SharePoint group I can't see anywhere that allows me to change access to read only. This topic has been locked by an administrator and is no longer open for commenting. Let me loop back around to the original problem for a moment for which the OneDrive solution was suggested. on Could someone please help me understand what's possible and perhaps find a work around for this? Collaborate for free with online versions of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and OneNote. However, the users are scattered throughout multiple countries, offices, and remote locales. What I want to do is use the Workgroup Templates option within Word to point to a folder with the sample subfolder structure which I can update as needed and therefore the users themselves don't need to do anything and won't even know an update has happened. It was suggested by a templates expert that I use a shared OneDrive folder as the Workgroup Templates location. That's the key associated with this specific policy setting:Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\GeneralValue: SharedTemplates ". If they are not within that folder structure, but are instead simply downloaded off a group site as needed, they won't work as designed. Sharing OneDrive Folder or SharePoint Folder with OneDrive for Business, Sync now" button and then after I clicked that button I got an additional dialog I haven't seen before from my browser (Chrome) which said "Open Microsoft OneDrive?" Perhaps the path has an incorrect syntax? All these files usually live in the Templates folder on the user's computer and the subfolders of that folder (e.g. In the first place, it's not clear to me what you mean by "admin privileges". @Deleted. The user needs to navigate to the SharePoint site, look in the Documents area for the folder that holds the templates, and then sync that folder to their OneDrive. with an associated Group, and all its additional features) is created. I am working with two different Office 365 accounts here: One is called Templates which is where the shared folder is coming from and one is my own name which is where I want to share the folder to in order to test that I can share it with others. I've been asked to set up shared document templates for the company but as we're going to go almost fully off-prem I will no longer have a local file server to drop the templates on and point everyone to via GPO. However, I am still concerned about the setup with SharePoint. (1) I have today been given access to the OneDrive for Business Admin center for our organization. my gpo has my registry change under computer not user prefs? So do you get any other options changed by GPO on the computers running Office 2016? We have over twenty Word document templates as well as style templates, theme colors, and SmartArt customization. If you can't immediately see them under "New," then look for a tab which says "Custom" and they might be under there. Ideally I'd just push a sharepoint URL into the relevant GPO for workgroup templates and that'd be it but only file paths are accepted there, not URLs. The better solution was to share a folder created in a Classic SharePoint Site where I can control the access level for members. Logged into my domain account and made sure the GPO applied using gpresult /r, it was. ODfB should be used only for business docs pertaining to a single user and, as such, it is suitable for short-term sharing and/or for sharing with few people. If that's the case, I have also tried to set that up with the Templates account, but when I browse to that shared folder online with my Jessica Kavanagh account, I see no sync button there.