Details inside. All rights reserved. On some computers, when you want to connect to a network, it shows you the available ones, what their signal strength is and what channels they are on. And testing wifi is a challenge as different things influence wifi speeds. I bought a DLink DIR-655 router (image above) and my old router is a Netgear WNR2000v3 (next image). As part of the upgrade I ditched my Motorola Surfboard modem and am using their free Cisco DPC3008 cable modem. Do you have WMM enabled in the router settings? p.s. I'm not in the boonies, just a regular town in a densely populated part of the state. If you're somehow hitting 158mbps, you're not using the wnr2000 as it'll max out at 94-96mbps hardwired. I'm no router expert, but I believe the procedure I'll describe is applicable to routers from other manufacturers. What type of wireless security does WNR2000v3 support? Okay, I just upgraded the firmware, and now: Oh, and channel is set to automatic, which it also was before. 1 and 11 are optimal. You might be able to do the same thing just with the Macbook's built in wireless connection thing. Using tamosoft throughput test, I get about 20Mbps through both TCP up and UDP up. Prices and offers are subject to change. TCP down and UDP down both report about 14Mbps. Battery Powered Lamp That Turns on Through the Use of Magnets. The first step is to power on and do a hard reset of the old router. Unplugged modem and router to reboot te devices, did not help as got same slow speed. No change.I have tried adjust the mode between 54mbps, 150mbps, and 300mbps. The WNR2000 delivers the speed and reliability needed for Ask MetaFilter is where thousands of life's little questions are answered. This router was released in 2010 and a upgrade is highly recommended. Find user manuals, troubleshooting guides, firmware updates, and much more for your WNR2000v3 N300 wireless router on our NETGEAR Support site today. How can I make it faster? WiFi 6 Access Points and devices are the future of WiFi. In using an old wifi router to improve/extend your wifi network, you have two choices: wireless repeater or wireless access point. When my computer's plugged in to the router by a physical ethernet cable, I have the following results from SpeedTest.com: 12ms ping 14.59 Mbps download.99 Mbps upload But over the air, the results are: 20 ms ping 2.62 Mbps download.97 Mbps upload No change.At this point I'm all out of ideas. BR500 VPN Currently Experiencing Intermittent Connectivity Issues. I had same and now I replaced it with this. But it does this at the expense of downloads. Am I'm still getting only 1-2Mbps. At this point, release the reset button and wait until all the lights on the front of the router show "green" (blue in the case of the wifi indicator). We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one. I did find one reference saying the Netgear WNR2000v3 would allow WEP security if the data rate was limited to 54 Mbps, but I figured "why bother". I used to pay for 50 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload speeds. Using a direct ethernet connection to router doesn't help. It really was worth it for me.if your looking for higher speed I do recommend. This is also useful to change, for example, the wifi channel. very slow internet speed with WNR2000v3 after ISP upgrade to 100Mbps, Model: WNR2000v3|N300 Wireless Router|EOL, Re: very slow internet speed with WNR2000v3 after ISP upgrade to 100Mbps. OK? Now I had planned to do this anyway, but I didn't plan on getting a 300% increase in wifi speed! I first tried to use the Netgear WNR2000v3 as a wireless repeater, but for the reasons I'll explain later, this didn't work out the way I thought it would. Every now and then I can run the internet speed test and get 30-80Mbps wireless download, depending on distance from router (never more than 50ft away through 2 walls). The wnr2000v3 isn't a gigabit router. My internet provider is Cox Cable. Wireless should be able to saturate an internet connection without much problem, so something is very wrong. My internet provider is Cox Cable. Basically, we needed a new router with dual channels. My first choice was to make the old router a wireless repeater because I thought this configuration would be "cleaner", A wireless repeater extends the coverage of the existing wifi access point associated with you main router. Reply I have the Cox high speed internet preferred with download of up to 100Mbps. (However, for some reason I cannot connect my laptop directly to the modem and get an internet connection--shouldn't I be able to?) With the Netgear N300 Router WNR2000v3 i could only get at best 40Mbps. I just ran a similar speedtest comparison on my computer, an old ass Dell, and got substantially the same results via gigabit ethernet versus wireless n. On a $29 Belkin wireless access point. I just bought a netgear AC1750 this evening, and I am actually disappointed because I have run a few speed sets in several websites (https://www.speedtest.net, https://www.spectrum.com/internet/speed-test.html)  and I am getting readings in the neighboorhood of 11-25 Mbps. You misunderstood my use of the word "new". All posts copyright their original authors. So 10/100 mbps speeds. The WNR2000v3 has the option to "Get dynamically from existing router" or "Use fixed IP Address (not recommended)" to choose the IP address for the wireless access point. The first thing you need to do is to get yourself a new router. User rating, 4.4 out of 5 stars with 1740 reviews. Actually, there are probably other choices, but I'm not network savvy enough to implement them. Upgrading your router? BR500 VPN Currently Experiencing Intermittent Connectivity Issues. It will have an IP address assigned to it by the new router and probably a name. I realize the DIR-655 has been on the market for several years. This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. When I have QoS turn on for my router I get speeds at about 5Mbps. so you're speeds are about what I'd expect out of a 9 year old n300 router. Probably the same as anyone else. I am doubting that my router would all of a sudden start failing with upgraded service, so I still blame the ISP end. As part of the upgrade I ditched my Motorola Surfboard modem and am using their free Cisco DPC3008 cable modem. How a hard reset is done depends on the router. While copying a file between 2 computers connected to the router via wifi, the speeds top out at about 14Mbps. Subscribe for Updates. My Wi-Fi is slow, and it seems to be the fault of the router. OK, well that’s not at all impressive. How to fix Netgear A6210 on Windows 10 & Windows 8: WiFi Issues, Limited Connectivity, Slow speeds and Disconnecting Thomas Coward | February 28, 2017 The bundled drivers for the A6210 and the ones listed on Netgears site were giving me constant disconnects, saying my …