When you buy your own router, you are making a long-term investment. However i've noticed slower data on my PS4 compared to my previous router and I don't think it's geared for high bandwith usage, I'll update when I figure that out. Look for a trusted brand. Top subscription boxes – right to your door. NAT support, The router works great, it's fast and has a great range. Thinking that it surely couldn't be the router's issue (it was essentially brand new! I decided to also go with an upgrade to my router now that I'm making much more money than back then when I dropped $19.99 on the one I had. wired, It also has QoS controls and a whole lot of other options, PLUS a separate, physical, wifi on/off switch… so you can turn the radios off at night when you're done online, but leave the router up to save power cycling (which can theoretically wear these devices). It also analyzes reviews to verify trustworthiness. © 2020 CNET, A RED VENTURES COMPANY. Reviewed in the United States on February 4, 2018. Today I finally get it after reading a bunch of reviews from tech people who understand the fine print. I swear I bought it yesterday! To configure the 5ghz radio you have to use the web interface...which you could also use to configure the 2.4ghz radio...so the software is pretty much useless bloat. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. Go to awesomeness ranking Go to consumer score ranking NETGEAR N600 is more popular Picking the best router you can find is important because it is your lifeline to fast, reliable internet. Editor's Note August 25, 2020:Checkout The Best Netgear Router for a detailed review of all the top netgear routers. R6080-100NAS SKU: 6105900. The Nighthawk App makes it a snap to set up your router. After swapping the ISP modem and all cabling, we continued to see connectivity issues. Reviewed in the United States on August 29, 2018. You will also want to look at the number of devices the router can handle. I could not get the unit operating. SCRIPPS CO., ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Through this analysis, we've determined the best Netgear Router you should buy. We delete comments that violate our policy, which we encourage you to read. Think about how many devices you have hooked up to your Wi-Fi right now. Look for a router that is easy to set up. Fairly easy setup. WPA2-PSK, Apple MacOS, If Netgear got rid of the download and just directed you straight to the web interface I'd give this thing 5 stars. Overall Take In our analysis of 36 expert reviews, the NETGEAR NETGEAR R6080 Dual Band WiFi Router, 1000 Mbps placed 10th when we looked at the top 11 products in the category. UNIX, Mac, Find support for your NETGEAR R6080 wifi router including guides, troubleshooting articles, the latest firmware updates, and much more today. Many are simple to set up and use right out of the box. Finally calling Netgear and getting transferred to a fellow in Mumbai who I suspect upgraded the internal software of the unit to get it running. I can do everything they can from the user control panel, but their tech kept hard selling, saying it was their proprietary software so only they had rights to it, etc. When it comes to your Wi-Fi connection, you do not want to be left behind. Fast Ethernet, Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question. wireless, Ethernet, The Netgear R6080 is a dual band WiFi router supporting AC1000 Wi-Fi - 300+700 Mbps (2.4 and 5 GHz) speeds. technical support, 1 year, The router has 2 non-detachable antennas and a 10/100 FastEthernet switch. The ethernet's ports are very convenient for connecting TVs and gaming consoles. (That's nearly what the R6080 delivered WIRED!) If you enjoy playing video games online, you will want to look for a router that provides you with faster speeds than if you are just using it to work on text files from home, for example. For a router that will ensure you never lag, check out Netgear’s Nighthawk X4 smart Wi-Fi router, as it can handle up to 45 different devices. It prompts you to download their genie software which helps you get through the first part of the setup. IEEE 802.11g, You can conveniently manage your network through the NETGEAR genie App. Taking about the interior and functionality as well, it’s probably the best design in this price range. Look for the DWYM seal for products that are the best in the category. I really wish Amazon would keep reviews for specific models separate unless the only difference is something immaterial like color (which doesn't apply to routers but could to things like tablets). Instead, our system considers things like how recent a review is and if the reviewer bought the item on Amazon. First and foremost, make sure your router is compatible with all major internet providers. So when customers ask a question the answer is often wrong as the one answering is answering for the model they bought, when the one asking might be asking about a different model... and everyone thinks they're on the same page, when they're not. Even Wifi improved by 30+% thanks to the faster connection between modem and router... the R6080 delivered just 45-54mbps while the R6232 delivers 75mbps over wifi. IEEE 802.11b, Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS), It is also important to look at what speed your internet is expected to be with a specific router. Product was good till the 90 day warranty ended. Unix, limited warranty, For example, I am writing about the AC1000 R6080 but of the 1900+ reviews linked to that model's page, the vast majority are for other models, like the Nighthawk or R700. This has not been the case. Push ‘N’ Connect button, The initial setup 'genie' was a breeze and the easy way to go, even the firmware update was as simple as clicking 'yes'. IEEE 802.11ac, Fails at being a router; unable to keep connection to internet. I stream lots of media with music going, the TV on via netflix, my pc on steam with a few tablets home devices and other stuff running, and this thing handles everything. Netgear R6080, the cheaper option, tends to get more favorable reviews than NETGEAR N600 [ 4.2 vs 4.2 ]. Linux, DWYM is your trusted product review source. Check availability at Walmart, Amazon, Best Buy and more, * Product and pricing data are sourced from third parties for informational purposes only. IPv6 support, Learn more. Running on comcast i think i can run everything and anything online all at once. I could not figure out why. The difference since installing the NETGEAR AC1200 is like night and day. This purchase is important to not only you but to the work and play you do. NETGEAR R6080 - wireless router - 802.11a/b/g/n/ac - desktop overview and full product specs on CNET. Do not throw out your old router. I wouldn't allow it. Possibly a computer, TV, phone, smart speaker and, if you live with other people, add on their devices, too. To calculate the overall star rating and percentage breakdown by star, we don’t use a simple average. The connection to the internet would drop several times a day. With up to 300+700 Mbps† speed and simultaneous dual band WiFi technology, it avoids wireless interference for smooth media streaming. PS5 has been released: Check availability at Amazon, Walmart, GameStop, Best Buy and more, Buy the Sony PS5 at Walmart today: These are the best times to check online, Buying Xbox Series X? And it's really upsetting: NetGear is advertising this as a router with high speed of 1200Mbps, but it can only deliver 100Mbps max because router's WAN port can only supports 100Mbps connection to the cable model. 8,347 global ratings | 4,512 global reviews, AC1000 R6060 -- Inadequate for 100mbps ISP Service, Reviewed in the United States on December 15, 2017. NETGEAR R6080 - wireless router - 802.11a/b/g/n/ac - desktop | R6080-100NAS. Reviewed in the United States on January 18, 2018. reset button, I call support and they tell me my hardware is perfectly fine and it's a software issue in the router. COPYRIGHT © THE E.W. Yikes! But it will only allow you too configure the 2.4ghz radio. The only short coming is the configuration software. If you want even more control, you can even set online time limits and set schedules for the internet access of various devices. CNET may get a commission from these offers. Around Nov I bought this and everything was good. Was decent for about 120 days then failed, Reviewed in the United States on January 30, 2019. If you are a parent and you want to have a bit more control or see the history of your child’s actions online, look for a router that has built-in parental controls. scheduler, IEEE 802.11a, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. IEEE 802.11ac, IEEE 802.11b, Owned for more than 2 years when reviewed. And a physical switch is a whole lot more convenient that having to use the GUI to turn radios off/on, or use a schedule when your own schedule varies. Most routers will work with various major internet providers, so you should be fine but it’s never a bad idea to double check. There's a problem loading this menu right now. Reviewed in the United States on September 14, 2018. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Along with our in-house experts, our team analyzes thousands of product reviews from the most trusted websites. You also want to look for a router that provides you with enough coverage for your space. IEEE 802.11n, 1, If you live in a one-bedroom apartment, you would obviously need less coverage than if you lived in a multi-story home. Its black color and futuristic edgy looks make it pretty presentable so no hiding on tall stands. after the initial setup i went back and could change my SSID and password and adjust the a lot of settings. Better yet, search for a router that you know works with your provider’s equipment. With trusted brands, you are given peace of mind that if you ever have any issues, you should have access to reliable customer service. This router is a piece of junk pretending to be something new - NetGear should be ashamed of themselves. The biggest problem was not being able to register it to my netgear account so I could take advantage of the warranty. Just connect your internet Ethernet cable to the router and the app will walk you through simple setup steps. The error I got said it was already registered to another account making me thing it was refurbished. Reviewed in the United States on January 20, 2018, Connected this to my Arris SurfBoard SB6183 cable modem. NETGEAR WiFi Router (R6080) - AC1000 Dual Band Wireless Speed (up to... NETGEAR WiFi Router (R6080) - AC1000 Dual Band Wireless Speed (up to 1000 Mbps) | Up to 1000 sq ft Coverage & 15 devices | 4 x 10/100 Fast Ethernet ports, NETGEAR AC1200 Smart WiFi Router - Dual Band Gigabit (R6230).