Choose the darkest, the lightest, and a midtone color showcased on one paint-chip strip as your palette's primary players. This article will help many clients when choosing their front door color. Perhaps the grey, but when we finally get around to re-painting and re-hanging the shutters I was planning on them being grey (and the roof is metal and is painted a charcoal grey). Thanks for sharing.ReplyCancel, Some of the brick bungalow style homes in Chicago and the brick townhomes in New York have greenish-blue trim. Use rich exterior house paint colors with a touch of sheen to give your home been-around-awhile character. Our door is currently painted a (faded) russett or muted red that fades into the shadows under the portico. Accessible Beige by Sherwin-Williams is a taupe-ish beige that makes a good alternative to warm white. I’m thinking of black shutters and a colored door, but I don’t want really want red (too common). What color do you suggest? Our house is a gray cottage style with river rock detail and a white porch railing/trim, and I first painted our front door an eggplant, but this spring I painted it a deep turquoise, and then dry-brushed a little deep espresso onto the crevices to tone it down a bit and make it look aged. That kind of nuanced detail is (IMO) me a big part of the value that makes Laurel Home guides so worth every penny! Maria, Like a uniform or a great business suit, this colour commands respect. The shingles are black and the windows are white. Red can look a little predictable, but the way to keep it fresh is to combine it with lots of white. My house is light gray with blue/gray shutters. Kitch door …same thing. -Brenda-. I’m a big fan of purple or eggplant front doors, especially this shade that it is downright majestic. Adding a super glossy Blue, Turquoise or Teal door will express a subtle individual identity and add needed textural variation. If you are not really to go that dark, try a softer black like Farrow & Ball’s Off-Black. And if you get sick of the door colour it’s a lot less to repaint!ReplyCancel. The linen white and ottertail had to stay because the garage has vinyl siding in the same color and it would have been costly to replace all of that just to change colors. Mine is grey on a pale yellow home love it! Your services are worth every single penny so keep in doing what you’re doing! I also like a creamy white as long as black shutters are combined with it. Maria, Hi Maria, Credit: Too bad they couldn’t extend that front porch to go completely across the part of the house that juts out. Decorator, author, speaker and internationally sought after Colour Expert. Holiday decorations are features, not something one has to hunt for. I want something bold and snazzy – thanks !! I just didn’t want folks to start discussing different painting options since that post hasn’t come out yet.ReplyCancel. I love the front doors pictured and think it is often an over looked element. I painted my front door a colour called Candie Cane. My readers have recommended many times that I paint it to match the door but it’s metal? Maybe a lighter shade of the same color for shutters, but I personally feel that a darker shade of the trim colour seems to work best, especially with red. It would look better with lighter mortar, but alas, that’s what I’m stuck with. Thank you Toni, you know you’re one of my faves . Deep brunettes, sandy blondes, and bold reds are in this year. It’s kind of like stucco. In addition, I believe that she does long distance color consults. This post is so timely. Keep in mind, while red is one of the most popular choices, it isn’t always the smartest one. It made such a difference with our house! It would look stunning in a woodsy environment with a lot of cedar siding. What colors would go with the beige stucco for the trim, shutters and door? We'll show you the top 10 most popular house styles, including Cape Cod, country French, Colonial, Victorian, Tudor, Craftsman, cottage, Mediterranean, ranch, and contemporary. It might be one to explore.ReplyCancel, Good morning Laurel, Better Homes & Gardens may receive compensation when you click through and purchase from links contained on The house is beige/sand color, I am thinking about paint the shutters black not sure about the door…. Check with the paint store on exactly what you need. And, maybe the garage further back. The facade you showed had some blue bricks on the edges which this house does not have. Can you suggest something? Join over 30,000 people who get fresh content from Colour Me Happy every week! I want you to check out SAMPLIZE. Of course, there are other colors that I like too, but sticking with the cool blacks, dark grays as above is always a pretty sure thing. Advice on new front door color? Love the brick as-is. CEO and Founder of Understanding Undertones. If it were my house, I would spend the money on that, and perhaps on adding railings, as you recommend, rather than painting the brick. Nothing wrong with the inside being blue if it works with your decor. Those are some great suggestions, Laurel! Final problem: the shutters. Thanks for providing the Sherwin Williams matches! I have a small portico with two round pillars also in white. Beauti-Tone Paint, which is sold exclusively at Home Hardware, sent me some of their most classic front door colours. Not sure which paint colour is best for YOUR front door? Suggested paint color: Still Searching PPG13-31, PPG Paints. Suggested paint color: True Green 2042-10, Benjamin Moore. Interior will be in Gray scale – Benjamin Moore – Coventry Gray and Metropolitan. Great post! It is quite common for doors to be off-center, and perhaps this can be demphasized with some asymmetrical porch styling. You can see that color inside this beautiful home. Love your blog, style ideas, and sense of humor. It transformed what was just another brick house on the street to a standout (in a good way). It and the shutters are painted Behr’s Deep Space which is a really high value gray-blue/slate. Green is a refreshing color and nature’s neutral hue. Benjamin Moore – white dove – body – simply white trim – heritage red – door – black iron shutters As you can see, there isn’t a lot of difference, so still you’ll need to test. The white here is dove wing. See more ideas about House colors, Exterior house colors, House painting. You can either hire me via my E-design to give you the TOP 3-4 colours for YOUR front door, or you can check out these fab options below…. And while orange won’t suit MOST homes, it was the PERFECT choice for his home and the palette he decided on (see the whole project here). I found it very helpful when you mentioned that blue-green/teal colors work well for beach houses because we wanted to renovate the place to make it feel better for vacations. They look almost black. It’s so lost in the the shadows. The brown color family flatters a variety of finishes, textures, and styles just like its neutral cousins white and grey, only with much more warmth. Your kitty deserves a name as special as she is. Oooo, I would LOVE to see it – send some pics if you like! John Granen, Credit: I used to hate the brick because the pinkish red mortar made it look so RED, and I was determined to paint the brick – until we got the estimate! I am thinking of painting my door either the first or third one. I love painted brick, but this house looks fine to me just the way it is . Some of it is badly done and it requires much more maintenance. I had to share… your own front door inspired me to change paint our front door green! What door color do you suggest? What would be a good color for my front door? I agree with you that muted light colors like Ballet White and Dove Wing are great for trim with brick, and read white without being stark. That is absolutely true and one of the guidelines in my exterior training for choosing colours for front doors! Dark colours get hotter than lighter ones and now that you have a storm door that is absolutely what happened. At the last minute I sent him the Sherwin-Williams link you had attached to this post. Below are some inspiration shots to convey what I have in mind in terms of paint colors. Benhamin Moore “Essex Green” is a dark, very traditional green that absolutely sings with red brick. Let’s see your new front door as soon as you have it done! I try to give away as much info as i can on my site and if that doesn’t help, it might be time for me to take a look! I am going to archive this post! Actually, that’s a separate topic. Does the storm door deter from the paint job? Also, I believe the color should be repeated in the interior. Finally getting a new front door!! If painting the brick is out of the question, I would paint all the windows and trim with one of the off-white colors you suggested. And I’m so glad you’re keeping the red brick. Just found your page today. Oh, I had such huge ambitions for this post. It’s very pretty inside, however. Click here to cancel reply. A fun turquoise front door is a welcoming touch. I went with an aubergine door rather than red because there’s a grey house with a red door down the street. What sheen paint do you use on trim areas? When the house is light gray and trim is dark gray ( siding) What color front door will look good dark gray?Or will it be to much gray? My home is much like the Elms house from the color viewer except we don’t have dormers (oh how I wish we did). I had kinda thought navy blue or a olive green. I’m not finished as this is a two-part post. All the SW colours are listed at the bottom of the post. Our doors are all a nice forest green. Our door doesn’t have much of an entry way so it would be directly in the view from most of the downstairs. Once you start, every few years you have to redo it again and again. Perfectly Suited: 15 Top-Rated Color Combinations for Your Home E... 12 Exterior Paint Colors to Help Sell Your House. I haven’t written an article about storm doors because they look terrible on front doors. And, Gil and Miles Redd who usually does his interior design are heavy into many shades of orange. Jon Jensen, Credit: It is even versatile enough to look great on a warm, creamy exterior for a softer contrast than black. I knew I had a different one. What would you suggest? When painting my front door, should I paint both the exterior and interior the same color? ?” I’m really stuck as to which route to go. . It’s currently black but I love that red, although you’ve given me food for thought with some of the other colors! Thank you! If you have a blue house of any shade, from slate blue, to baby blue, to navy blue, to royal blue, to turquoise blue and so on…here are my picks for the best front door colors. Any suggestions? I’m so excited to finally fix the buildings up, as well as to paint them (and the house trim) to unify everything!ReplyCancel, I feel like the biggest problem with the facade is that the shutters are too narrow. Waiting patiently for next week’s post.ReplyCancel, Perhaps because I lived in Old Town Alexandria, VA for many years (I love it there! Consider your home's roofing, stonework, and landscape to help narrow your color choices. Hosting Thanksgiving dinner for the first time or need a quick refresher? I did notice that nary a one has a storm door. Our eaves are taupe/grey mix , do you think dragon’s breath by Benjamin Moore would be a good front door colour? On each end of the bottom step for texture I’d have big sandy bronze-black planters with some more of those pale hairy-looking plants that are there already. First, I have to say MJ’s home & property are beautiful. Sumas, WA, 98295. If you’re looking for a more ravishing red (check out my profile photo – wink wink), these next colours should get you on the right path. White window trim gives dimension to the home's beige trim, which is repeated on the fence as well.