Both of the examples you gave I have seen written or heard in everyday conversation, and yes, they do look/sound slightly odd constructions. On the other hand, when you want to do the action, or you want a third person to do the action, you can do it this way: You can also use Do you mind if + sentence. We may sometimes get confused by the subject. Would you mind sending me a list of everyone who's coming? Thanks for studying today! A lot of English learners tell me that they have trouble with the question, “Do you mind….”It’s a bit of a complicated question to ask and answer, partly because of the meaning of the word mind.As a verb, mind means to be bothered or to be upset by something.Look at this sentence: I wouldn't mind knowing what safe operating temps are for an Athlon XP2000, mind you. I'd think that "Would you mind providing some..." would make more sense. site design / logo © 2020 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa. They do not represent the opinions of YourDictionary.com. Then, you’ll apply what you’ve learned to everyday situations you could encounter at school, at work, social situations, creative writing, online, and more. Answer: No, I don’t mind. "A good thing too, little countess," said "Uncle," "only mind you don't fall off your horse," he added, "because--that's it, come on!--you've nothing to hold on to.". Linux file manager similar to Windows File Explorer (dir tree + file list). Would you mind, please provide some details for us to capture the steps required for future requests? If you are making the request in an imperative, but still polite manner, the 'please' can come at the beginning of the request: These sound like typical non-native emails, I experience and work with them regularly. (Not something you would write in a formal email). Mind you, I was probably just as bad when I was that age. Stack Exchange network consists of 176 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. Would you mind watching my bag for a few minutes? Just share this lesson with them. Is a bit more conversational. What is the difference between a spell with a range of "Self" and a spell with a range of "Self (XYZ)"? Here are some examples: "Do you mind if I excuse myself? However, keep in mind you will need to pay in full at the time of your booking. Here are some more examples: By the way, we can say, “Do you mind?” with upward intonation to show someone that they are annoying or bothering us. Add to list. Mind you, don't kiss all my face powder off! 4. But if you write articles with your keywords in mind you will stay out of trouble. Why doesn't a mercury thermometer follow the rules of volume dilatation? Creating new Help Center documents for Review queues: Project overview, Feature Preview: New Review Suspensions Mod UX. Some more examples: Would you mind passing me that bottle over there? Log in Sign up. What crimes have been committed or attempted in space? Would you mind If I borrowed your car tonight? Definitions by the largest Idiom Dictionary. What does the expression “in Pickwickian sense” exactly mean? Synonym Discussion of remind. Was AGP only ever used for graphics cards? she challenged, seeking to keep from falling entirely beneath his spell. Answer: I’m sorry. I'm not sure if they are correct, but I agree with you; they don't sound right. Would you mind watching my bag for a few minutes? A Self-Study Guide to Improve Functional Writing. But your own mind you can control. How to know if it's a linear regression problem when working on multi dimensional data? You are offline. I think of "mind you" as meaning something very like "on the other hand". An expression for what “worriers” do, as scoffing as German “Bedenkenträgerei”. Infographic: How many words do you 'need'? Filter. Neither of these sound quite right to my native AE/Californian ear. I feel cold, so please don’t. My theory of "hook phrases", “Baby, would you mind giving me a hand with this?”, How the Benefits of Tutoring to Learn a Language Outweigh Those of the Classroom Environment. Someone asks if they can sit at your table, but you think it is a problem. Would you mind If I used your phone now? I receive various requests -- over email -- of the form "Would you mind please..." or "Would you please mind..." with and without punctuation. Clothesline sagging even though it was properly tighten. Is the "please" necessary and in what position in the sentence? is a good way to politely ask for something that isn't too much trouble for the other person. please provide... or tagged on to the very end of the question. This book does! While the initial work of organizing your home can be a chore, the time and money saved and the peace of mind you will gain is well worth it. Though it is afforded some latitude in where it may be inserted into a sentence, this does not make your first alternative acceptable. Keep in mind you always want to check with your own vet before you start cooking for your pet. “Would you mind if I write X?” vs. “Would you mind if I wrote X?”, how to politely and natively reply an email and ask question. I don’t mind you updating your question to include them. Spooky computer game from late 90s/2000 where you fight skeleton pirates at the end. English Language & Usage Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. Contact Your second example sentence is more appropriate, though I would drop the 'please' it gives the email request a certain 'I'm using please because I've already asked this before and nothing's been done about it' feeling. So pay attention to these two sentences. It only takes a minute to sign up. Oxford Learners Dictionary, see grammar point, Creating new Help Center documents for Review queues: Project overview, Feature Preview: New Review Suspensions Mod UX. Somewhere in the recesses of your mind you can envision yourself writing scifi, whether in a short story or perhaps a shiny book cover in your local bookstore. "Would you mind ___ing?" Examples of peace of mind in a sentence, how to use it. List of binary numbers: How many positions have a one and zero. A lot of English learners tell me that they have trouble with the question, “Do you mind….” It’s a bit of a complicated question to ask and answer, partly because of the meaning of the word mind. Keep in mind you do not have to change the uniforms at all for your majorettes - you can have a unisex band uniform and simply let your majorettes and majors be themselves inside of them. Copyright © 2020 LoveToKnow. Ben failed totally to get Neil's stunt kite airborne, mind you it was flat calm. Keep in mind you must spend a minimum of $300.00, though orders above $500.00 get the $50.00 shipping fee waived. Situation #1. YouTube Your second alternative. For today’s English lesson, I am going to show you the two ways we use Do you mind…, a very common question in English conversation. Is “make a dream board” a synonym to “draw a blue print”? te importaría. Does the expression “web technologies” have a euphemistic/promotional character ? Mind you. 22 examples: This was reflected in attitudes, feeling emotionally 'more comfortable… Stack Exchange network consists of 176 Q&A communities including Stack Overflow, the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. How to use remind in a sentence. The problem with language learning "levels". 2. Has there been a naval battle where a boarding attempt backfired? eBooks & Paperback Make a minimal and maximal 2-digit number from digits of two 3-digit numbers, You are simply seeing light touching your eyes (masturbation addiction), Sjudoku - in a world where 9 is replaced by 7. I would n't mind knowing what safe operating temps are for an Athlon XP2000, mind you. Mind you don't bump your head on the low ceiling. Why are red and blue light refracted differently if they travel at the same speed in the same medium? Though technically they are asking you if you'd mind doing this, not to do it. Mind you, all of his opposition was on vacation that day.” “We have a rocket that can get to the moon in an hour. Do mirrors extend a Medusa's Petrifying Gaze? Why are red and blue light refracted differently if they travel at the same speed in the same medium? Still, with this in mind you can get the home of your dreams for a fraction of the cost that you would get through the traditional method of buying a home. Why Memorize? Definition of bring to mind in the Idioms Dictionary. Even if and Even though…and so much more. mind (you) never you mind; mind how you go; if you don't mind; to put you in mind of; View more related words Please show me example sentences with yifu if you dont mind, please dont write in hanzi..Tell me as many daily expressions as possible. "Do you mind if I take a nap? rev 2020.11.12.37996, The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, English Language & Usage Stack Exchange works best with JavaScript enabled, Start here for a quick overview of the site, Detailed answers to any questions you might have, Discuss the workings and policies of this site, Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, Learn more about hiring developers or posting ads with us. If I'm the first person whose mind you can't read, doesn't it scare you that you can't tell what I'm thinking? This 'please' is a pragmatic marker (signifying politeness). The 3 biggest improvements you can make to your English writing, The key to understanding natural spoken English, 5 steps to achieving your New Year's resolutions, 8 reasons why your English isn't improving, How your brain learns English (and how it doesn't). I gave him a bit of my mind, you may bet. I believe it would be a little bit more appropriate if considered as "in addition". Terms & Conditions Would you mind? That dog is very dangerous when provoked. You … If that means spending more upfront, think of it as an investment and bear in mind you can compensate by buying fewer clothes overall. 90's PC game, similar to "Another World" but in 3D, dark, purple, locked inside a prison. Is perhaps the more 'correct' and slightly more formal way of rephrasing your question. Would you please mind providing some details for us to capture the steps required for future requests? If access to your finances doesn't provide the peace of mind you need, the vSafe system lets you archive your statements, as well as other important documents and records. Mind yo Was AGP only ever used for graphics cards? “We can cut all the trees down in three days. Mind you definition is - —used in speech to give stress to a statement that one is making so that a preceding or following statement will not be misunderstood —often used in British English without you. Privacy Policy, Policies for Online Courses, Books, Lessons, Downloadable Material, and Memberships, Self-Study English Lessons  Teenagers today are terribly rude. Why do these angles look weird in my logo? Would you mind providing some details, please? Why do rotating fidget spinners sometimes create a perception of opposite spinning? List of binary numbers: How many positions have a one and zero. No matter your current skill level, this English grammar workbook has everything you need to learn essential elements, including nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, tenses, and beyond. Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you. conveys enough politeness in my opinion, but it wouldn't hurt to add it in. Never tell yourself that you "know" an English word or phrase. I would classify them as having been written by a non-native speaker or a very badly educated native speaker. is a good way to politely ask for something that isn't too much trouble for the other person. You’ll also learn how to really use phrases such as: You’ll also learn how to use causatives, conditionals, frequency adverbs, modal verbs, articles, and prepositions. 239 people chose this as the best definition of mind: Desire or inclination.... See the dictionary meaning, pronunciation, and sentence examples.