This Japanese keto menchi-katsu recipe is a ground meat patty that is breaded in pork rind crumbs which gives it a super crunchy coating. Deep fry the Menchi Katsu at 160℃ for 6~7 mins in total, fliping several times to cook evenly. The Katsu sauce looks like something I could make…and then eat it all with a spoon! The Katsu sauce is pure genius. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that my husband and I enjoyed our dinner very much. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. Flour is applied on both sides of these patties.

Katsu are usually served with Japanese Worcestershire sauce or tonkatsu sauce (a variant of Worcestershire thickened with fruit and vegetable purees) and sliced cabbage. Menchi and katsu are phonologically modified versions of the words "mince" and "cutlet". Droolingforamonth, raisin is much sugary and less acidic than prunes, and flavor-wise, not so similar. Menchi and katsu are phonologically modified versions of the words "mince" and "cutlet". This Japanese keto menchi-katsu recipe is a ground meat patty that is breaded in pork rind crumbs which gives it a super crunchy coating. Menchi Katsu’s appearance is just like Korokke (Japanese Potato and Ground Meat Croquette)and when you see Menchi Katsu displayed along with Korokke at a shop in Japan, you really can’t tell the difference. Resting Time: Please note that there is a minimum 30-minute resting time built into this recipe’s total time. After you have divided the mixture into 8 oval-shaped patties, cover the patties and place them in the refrigerated for at least 30 minutes. It exists in many different forms and spirits, each and one of them equally bizarre to the conventional wisdoms of the west, but one in particular, the menchi katsu sando / fried ground pork patty sandwich, will send many scratching their heads inside a Japanese convenience store. It is often served in inexpensive bento and teishoku. Welcome back, To that same old place that you laughed about.

Here we made a very basic, simple, and of course tasty version of Menchi Katsu. Blended into the sauce, they built volume and flavours into the back-note, then pounded and added as a thin film in between the sandwich, they added textures and subtle sweetness.

Air Fryer Menchi Katsu Ingredients. This ensures that the next batch of patties don’t darken in color. The ground meat is mixed with chopped onion, salt, and pepper, and made into patties. This recipe is my very controlled but slightly adapted, and perhaps,, in my opinion, enhanced version of the original. Ann, oh port! PRIVACY POLICY, MECHI KATSU/FRIED MINCED PORK PATTY: (makes 2 patties), Season each slightly with salt and white pepper, https://ladyandpups.com/2017/01/10/the-plain-genius-of-menchi-katsu-sando/, JAPAN + SRIRACHA SENBEI, Japanese gluten-free rice crackers, MY HEAD, PLUS CHRISTMAS SPICE MOCHI BREAD BABKA, 1/4 cup (60 grams) mirin/Japanese sweet rice wine, 16 oz (460 grams) ground pork, preferably 30~35% fat, Place the all-purpose flour, beaten eggs, and panko breadcrumbs in, Let the patty cool for 10 min. It hits juuust the right spot, one of the few left within our hyper-stimulated minds these days, where still accepts or even craves purity. Make sure that your menchi-katsu is completely cooled prior to storing in containers. Menchi katsu is often served with tonkatsu sauce.

Wrap dish and place in refrigerator for a minimum of 30 minutes to let rest.
Until moving to Beijing where, out of sheer desperation and agony, I started Lady and Pups – an angry food blog in 2012, my misery outlet where it marked the beginning of my pre-midlife crisis. Trust me, you won’t miss the carb-heavy panko crumbs! While menchi-katsu is used prevalently in eastern Japan, in western Japan it is more commonly called minchi-katsu (ミンチカツ).

This sauce plays brilliantly with the fatty richness – 35% fat if I failed to mention – of the menchi katsu, and brought both a voluptuous sort of moisture and adhesiveness to all parties. A great way to enjoy leftover menchi-katsu is to pop them in the toaster oven at 325 degrees for about 6 minutes. As they are delicate, I recommend not touching them unless you need to flip and remove from pot once cooked. I just sliced the sandwich in half and had to stretch my mouth like a mamba to take a bite. I looked up a lot of Katsu sauces after reading yours. Katsu by itself usually refers to tonkatsu, which is made with pork cutlets. Fried egg? Prior to frying the second batch, skim oil to remove any crumbs and debris. The end result is a flavorful, juicy cutlet!

Japanese Keto Menchi-Katsu – If you have never heard of menchi-katsu before, then you are in for a real treat! Set aside. Of the many things that I miss from that trip, this is at the top. You’re a genius.

But I can’t take you to Japan.

Trim off the sides of the white breads. I highly recommend the Bulldog brand. Once well combined, shape mixture into 8 equal sized oval shaped patties and place on a dish. Katsu may refer to any deep-fried meat cutlet coated with flour, egg, and bread crumbs. This ensures that the next batch of patties don’t darken in color. Japanese Menchi Katsu Sandwich is made with crunchy ground meat cutlet topped with thinly shredded cabbage and an irresistible homemade tartar sauce sandwiched in brioche buns. While patties are chilling, make the sauce by combining sugar-free ketchup, ground pepper, and worcestershire sauce in a small bowl and mix well. This is beautiful and sounds amazing. Using your hands, knead the mixture together thoroughly until it becomes sticky in texture and pale in color. Well the names have all changed since you hung around, But those dreams have remained and they’re turned around. Now you have no excuse to pass on it! Gather all ingredients and measure out as instructed.

On top of that, it’s cheap to make, too. Meanwhile, place pitted prunes in between 2 parchments, then with a meat-pounder, pound them until they're flattened out and broken. For the sauce, we used Tonkatsu Sauce, but you can use Worcestershire sauce or ketchup if you prefer.

Whoa, Lady… where did that prune come into play? Print. Can I use basic breadcrumbs or does it have to be the proper ones?

Tomato? You have me missing Japan even more now. Maybe it would still taste delicious but it would be a different tasting sauce :). Please. Ketchup plus worchestire sauce, basically, with some soy sauce and sugar? Would it be total different recipe? Knead well with hands until the meat mixture becomes pale and sticky. Japanese Keto Menchi-Katsu – If you have never heard of menchi-katsu before, then you are in for a real treat!

Take examples, Korokke, ebi katsu, chicken katsu, tonkatsu and ham katsu. Two hotdogs and a jug of Bloody Mary with a mini umbrella? Jalapeno?

Instead of chopping, make sure to mince your onion to smaller pieces. HOW TO MAKE ★MENCHI KATSU★ USING LEFTOVER SHOKUPAN CRUST! Actually, outside of Japan, this idea sounds more desperate than anything else. Thank you for inventing and sharing your recipes with us! (EP191) - YouTube. Learn how and when to remove this template message, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Menchi-katsu&oldid=979458844, Articles needing additional references from February 2013, All articles needing additional references, Articles containing Japanese-language text, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 20 September 2020, at 22:12. READ MORE, LADY AND PUPS. I am taking a page out of my mom’s recipe and creating a meat mixture of 50% beef and 50% pork. When I could, I’ve only eaten this with good ol’ Bull dog sauce, care of Maisen. In the large bowl with the onion, add the ground meat, 2 Tbsp panko, 1 Tbsp milk, 1 large egg, ½ tsp nutmeg, ½ tsp Kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Deep fry the Menchi Katsu at 160℃ for 6~7 mins in total, fliping several times to cook evenly. Great job … :). This dish is pretty easy to make, and the ingredients are simple and easy to get.

In a large bowl combine beef, pork, pork rind crumbs, heavy whipping cream, egg, salt, pepper, cabbage, and cooked onion. For katsu sauce, can i replace prunes with raisin instead? It should take about 3-4 minutes each side, totalling 6-8 minutes. Some do 70% beef to 30% pork, while others say 60% beef to 40% pork. After they have rested, you can move onto the coating step. I can’t explain it to you. To prepare the coating, place the almond flour, beaten egg, and pork rind crumbs into 3 separate bowls. You will also need to mince your cabbage as you did your onion. You’ll question its painful simplicity, whether is from desperation, or, by choice. Meat Mixture: There are many recipes that vary in beef to pork ratios. As we know that there are plenty for the taking, but this is perhaps – as far as I know and hopefully true – Jason’s most obsessed of all perverse Japanese creations, the menchi katsu.

Once you completed the process, place on a dish. Thank you, thank you for this recipe! To make it keto, this recipe uses pork rinds and almond flour in place of panko and flour. In between batches, be sure to skim out the crumbs and any debri left in the oil.

For the sauce, we used Tonkatsu Sauce, but you can use Worcestershire sauce or ketchup if you prefer. It reminds me of sitting on the bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto munching on a Katsu sandwich from the convenience store and sipping milk tea. Growing up my mom would make us delicious menchi-katsu and it’s still one of my favorite homecooked meals. This menchi katsu recipe shows you how to prepare deliciously crispy crumbed burger patties for enjoying in a bun, in a sandwich, or on rice. Great idea!

A juicy breaded ground meat patty fried to a golden crisp. Even better if you are short on time, you can buy pork rind crumbs and they come in different flavors and seasonings! Your sandwiches are just awesome, my mouth is watering again! Once fried it comes out golden and crunchy! Pour 2 cups of avocado oil into a deep pot and heat oil to 340°. You can use the katsu sauce also for takoyaki and okonomiyaki. The prunes are genius. They often just list onions, tomatoes, apples and “other fruit” when they list up the fruits and veggies that they use. Keyword beef, japanese cooking, japanese recipe, menchi katsu, panko, pork Bacon? So go ahead and try normal breadcrumbs if you can’t find panko :), I’m so sure it’s wonderful because PORK & PRUNES together are wonderful … especially your cool version ! But I checked out their allergic ingredients list that they provided and there was believe it or not __peaches__!
I love eating them, and always get geriatric remarks. If you don’t know what it’s like to move from NYC to China… anger doesn’t even cut it. [1] The meat is usually ground beef, pork, or a mixture of the two. Come on, anything, anything to satisfy this North American instinct to pile shit up.

When cooking these myself, I fry 4 patties at a time to ensure they are not touching. This little project is a phoenix rising out of the tormenting flames of living there with all its misery. You’ll realize why you don’t want to do anything else to it. You can store your menchi-katsu in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. And when I say that, I’m mostly referring to the katsu sauce. Prunes. Now you have no excuse to pass on it!

The sauce is much more complex and deserving of our respect than that, which requires several different angles of acidity and sweetness that adds up to be more than the sum of its parts. Serve with Tonkatsu sauce if you have, or worcetershire sauce or ketchup is go well together. This looks so delicious, I lusted over these on instagram.