The primary ingredients used in many medieval desserts were honey, ginger, fruit, wine and spices. This seductive cake has something for everyone: excitement (a crackly top), unexpected twists (chocolate chunks and hazelnuts hidden inside), and a feel-good ending (the moist chocolate cake). pear caramel cake by isabelle07 on Indulgy.com, cannellaemela.blogspot.it/2013/02/hot-chocolate.html#, Ever since I saw this recipe on SAVEUR website I was eager to give this a try. the batter is baked about halfway, then it's spread with a thick layer of chocolate- and nut-studded meringue and returned to the oven for a final crisping. powdered sugar, oleo, nuts, pudding, milk, cream cheese, flour and 2 more. Flickr is almost certainly the best online photo management and sharing application in the world. So much so that I came up with my own medieval ice cream recipe based on it! Who doesn't love to delight with a cup of hot chocolate during the cold season? What a brilliant idea and I never thought of it before. The most common spices for medieval dessert recipes were: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, saffron, and cloves. Sometimes the milk was substituted by almond milk to make it even richer, particularly if it was outside Lent. Or a hot wine? Somehow I doubt it; it’s only recipe plagiarism when you make someone else’s recipes and don’t reveal the …. In fact I have made some homemade ice cream with this ‘sweetmeat’ added. Meat recipes in medieval times varied enormously – from simple ones generally cooked by peasants to much more elaborate recipes cooked in the kitchens of wealthy landowners. Pears made a tasty medieval dessert. What attracted me the most was the idea to combine hot chocolate with red wine. If your roast is quite lean, wrap the pork roast in a few strips of bacon. to help give you the best experience we can. Delicious desserts are not the first thing most people think of when they consider food from the 11th-15th century. However, this was generally only affordable by richer people. Well, les grands classiques, bien sûr! Tarte au Fromage Blanc… This creamy tarte provides another sumptuous variation to … Dates and pears were popular in many sweet recipes. Show off your favorite photos and videos to the world, securely and privately show content to your friends and family, or blog the photos and videos you take with a cameraphone. Dates and pears were popular in many sweet recipes. Pears were popular when cooked in red wine and sometimes mixed with other fruit such as mulberries. Poached pears are still popular today with modern variations such as poire belle helene adding ice cream into the equation. INCOMING TOUR OPERATOR in Northern Europe and Russia, What to cook for homesick French friends? However, desserts played a strong role in medieval life and although they were not as varied and sumptuous as the kind we enjoy today, these old-fashioned desserts could nevertheless be very tasty. A good example of poached pears cooked in the medieval period would be ” Wardonys in syryp“ in which pears would be boiled in a sauce made up of cinnamon, red wine, sugar, ginger, possibly saffron and a little vinegar to give it a sour and sweet taste.