As a feminine name, Raven is among several other names derived from birds; names such as Dove, Kestrel, and Teal. Don't mean to be selfish but Raven has a devilish meaning but also a heavenly meaning. What are her siblings named? The baby name has since fallen in popularity, and is currently of irregular use. In English Baby Names the meaning of the name Raven is: Dark haired or wise. 7. 10 Baby Names We Hope We’ll Never See Again After 2020, Practically Perfect ‘P’ Baby Names For Your Precious New Addition, Yep, Goth Baby Names Are a Thing — Here Are Our Favorites From the Dark Side, Beautiful & Brilliant Baby Names Beginning With ‘B’, Balanced Baby Names for Your Little Libra. In some countries, Raven means "Devil Bird" But in the Bible, there was a Raven that helped the Dove on Noah's Ark. From the name of the bird, ultimately from Old English hræfn.The raven is revered by several Native American groups of the west coast. As a masculine name, Raven ranked amongst the top 1,000 names only in the years spanning 1997–2002. This was the name of an 8th-century Frankish saint who was sent by Pope Gregory II to evangelize in Bavaria. Raven Symoné - American singer and actress R aven baby names and what they mean, for raven, crow, with 29 results. Its highest rank was in 1999, when it was ranked the 811th most common masculine name. Meanings and history of the name Raven. I like my name. A modern name, which like Ebony can be an expression of African-American pride. As a masculine name, Raven parallels the Old Norse Hrafn, and the Old English *Hræfn, which both mean "raven". This surname originated as a nickname, or from an old personal name. The surname also originates from a nickname meaning "raven",[4] or a thieving person, or a dark-haired person, derived from the Middle English raven[7] In other cases, the surname is derived from a sign name. In Norse mythology, ravens were a symbol of wisdom. Bram (Scottish origin) meaning "raven". © 2020 Wild Sky Media All rights reserved. In some cases the surname is derived from the Old Norse and Old English personal names already mentioned. The name originates from the English vocabulary word "raven",[2] which in turn is ultimately derived from the Old English hræfn. The different meanings of the name Raven are: American meaning: Blackbird; English meaning: As the black bird; The raven (bird) The meaning of the name “Raven” is different in several languages, countries and cultures and has more than one possibly same or different meanings available. Try the Raven Madison- Main gothic heroine from the vampire series Vampire Kisses by Ellen Schreiber. 8. 9. Raven /ˈreɪvən/[1] is a unisex given name in the English language. ignore name meanings: keywords from the name meanings are ignored. A modern name, which like Ebony can be an expression of African-American pride. A perfect baby names meaning raven for your child. PART OF WILD SKY MEDIA | Family & Parenting. The following surnames are examples of names from which the modern surname Raven is derived: filius Reuene, in Yorkshire, 1086; le Reven, in Worcestershire, 1327; and atte Raven, in London, 1344[4] (this final surname is a sign name, which indicates that the bearer was someone who lived near a sign with a raven on it, possibly such as a house sign). Raven, a cloaked, emotionless heroine, daughter of an inter-dimensional demon, probably the darkest hero in the entire DC comics universe Famous real-life people named Raven. That's up to you. Can also be used for baby with dark hair, dark eyes or a fall and winter baby. [3] As a masculine name, Raven parallels the Old Norse Hrafn,[2] and the Old English *Hræfn, which both mean "raven". This name is derived from the Middle Low German rave, raven, meaning "raven". But trust me, it's a really good name. The name has ranked amongst the top 1,000 feminine names recorded in Social Security card applications since 1977. In Norse mythology, ravens were a symbol of wisdom. I would never call my child Raven, although I might, on the other hand, call my child Dove, Raven's "opposite name". Looking for the perfect name? The meaning of my name though is different from most : Old German Hraban. [16] This sample consisted of 6.3 million people, and was made up of 5,494 unique first names (4,275 feminine names, and 1,219 masculine names). [2] In the United States of America, the name is more commonly used as a feminine name, and has ranked among the top 1,000 feminine names given to baby girls since 1977. In American Baby Names the meaning of the name Raven is: Dark haired or wise. Ravens' are independent and caring. The name originates from the English vocabulary word "raven", which in turn is ultimately derived from the Old English hræfn. 6. Bran (Welsh origin) means "raven". Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you! What does the name Raven mean? His real name may have been Hraban (see RABAN). Raven from Teen Titans From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman. She is loyal, honest, independent, has great energy, quick to take up for her own, very loving, wise and caring. [15], In 1990, the United States Census Bureau undertook a study of the 1990 United States Census, and released a sample of data concerning the most popular names. Meanings English Baby Names Meaning: In English Baby Names the meaning of the name Raven is: Dark haired or wise. But don't ask me what to name your child. People judge us by how we look and not how we act. Derived from the vocabulary word raven which denotes a large, black bird of the crow family. Can also be used for baby with dark hair, dark eyes or a fall and winter baby. Raven is rare as a baby name for boys. At the modest peak of its usage in 1999, 0.009% of baby boys were given the name Raven. I like it a lot. It is also associated with the Norse god Odin. Out of all boy names in its group, Raven … [2] Names derived from vocabulary words, such as the mentioned bird names, increased in popularity as feminine names in the English-speaking world during the 20th century. [6], Raven is also a surname in the English language. It ranked at #812 then. [4][7] Raven is also a German language surname. [7], In the United States of America, Raven is more commonly used as a feminine name than as a masculine name. In Welsh mythology, Bran the Blessed was the son of the god Llyr, who was also called the Raven God. Derived from Latin corvus meaning "raven". [19], https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Raven_(given_name)&oldid=918350165, Pages using citations with format and no URL, Short description is different from Wikidata, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 28 September 2019, at 07:10. [5] The feminine given name Ravenna is thought to be derived from the name of the northern Italian city Ravenna, however, in some cases Ravenna may also represent a more elaborately-feminine form of Raven. [4] As a feminine name, Raven is among several other names derived from birds; names such as Dove, Kestrel, and Teal. Usage of these boy names was at its most widespread 4 years ago (ADOPTION OF 0.2%) and has remained as conventional to this day (ADOPTION 0.2%, 7% LESS), but with names like Crawford becoming less fashionable. I hate this name. [17] Within this sample, Raven was ranked the 1,358th most common feminine name,[18] and did not even rank amongst the 1,219 masculine names. Bramwell (English origin) means "raven well". namecandy - Celebrity baby names, ask the Name Lady, & more. It's not right. Branley (English origin) meaning "raven meadow". Names derived from vocabulary words, such as the mentioned bird names, increased in popularity as feminine names in the English-speaking world during the 20th ce… In 2009, it was the 636th most common feminine name. Know a Raven? Raven, RPDR season 2 contestant & all star season runner up, Raven Darkholme AKA Mystique from Marvel's X-Men Copyright © 2020 SheKnows Media, LLC, a subsidiary of Penske Business Media, LLC. See the popularity of the girl's name Raven over time, plus its meaning, origin, common sibling names, and more in BabyCenter's Baby Names tool. 10.