After Martha says her piece, Jesus offers her the path to peace. May we find the chutzpah and joy of inviting people in, and may we cling to the peace of the “one thing” in the middle of ordinary, crazy life. When we concentrate on Jesus first, we discover that we are never truly alone or without help. If 'Nothing Is Impossible with God,' Why Isn’t God Helping? She flies past the living room and sees her sister out of the corner of her eye, and that’s the last straw. By using Learn Religions, you accept our. The main lesson of the story places emphasis on giving attention to Jesus over our own busyness. It doesn’t seem that Martha was too worried. Martha? The Bible story of Mary and Martha has confused Christians for centuries. Jesus tells her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. When we give Jesus the attention he deserves, he empowers us to serve others. Martha knew what she was doing. "Thriving with Chronic Illness", This site is a proud member of the Salem Web Network, a subsidiary of, Copyright © 2020, Crosswalk.com. You cement a new friendship, laugh at some dust, and enjoy a little grace environment together. Jesus replies, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. The Key Difference between Mary and Martha. Martha, like many hostesses, became anxious over impressing her guests. “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one.Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”, Matthew Henry Commentary on the Whole Bible (Complete), Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible, Sermon on the Mount - Bible Story Verses & Meaning, The Prodigal Son Parable - Bible Story Verses & Meaning, California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. It's likely we have qualities of both within us. Truth is, no matter how it looks on the outside, God is at work in every story. The Bible Story of Mary and Martha comes from Chapter 10 of the Gospel of Luke. What are some of the elements in this story? When I look at “her” life with those big, happy smiles on social media or the beautifully “perfect” children or the bigger, nicer house than mine, discontent perches on my shoulder. It’s the tale of two sisters. You can find stories and inspiration for real-life faith on Janna’s website, Grace Thread, and in her upcoming book, Grace Changes Everything. Sometimes we can be tempted to share our problems with everyone else – prayer requests, social media, mom, the bestie – when the wisest thing to do is to approach the One who can actually fix things first. Mary and Martha were the sisters Lazarus, the man Jesus raised from the dead. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Some of us tend to be more like Mary in our Christian walk, while others resemble Martha. In fact He adores you and longs to hear about anything you face. Martha appears to be the eldest of the family, and head of the sibling household. True hospitality is always in style. As we read and study the passage, we can reflect on these questions: The story of Mary and Martha takes place in Luke 10:38-42 and John 12:2. Martha is concerned that Mary sits and listens to their guest rather than serving. Comparison is a trickster, though, because he never tells the full story. There’s something to be said for knowing who can help. The story of Mary and Martha takes place in Luke 10:38-42 and John 12:2. 8 Surprising Ways Your Husband Finds You Attractive, New Podcast! *Enter Mary and Martha, stage left* I want to invite you to turn to Luke 10:38-42 with me, in your personal Bible so you can note what stands out to you in this passage as we study it. So, here’s to throwing the front door wide. Mary and Martha led very busy lives, but one of them sat down to rest--even before all her work was finished--and listened to Jesus. of How Do You Know if Someone Is the Antichrist? Enjoy the Complete Christmas Story of the Birth of Jesus, All the People Raised From the Dead in the Bible, The Raising of Lazarus Bible Story Study Guide, Holy Week Timeline: From Palm Sunday to the Resurrection, Jesus Is Anointed By a Sinful Woman - Bible Story Study Guide, The Transfiguration Bible Story Study Guide, Meet Zechariah: John the Baptist's Father, Meet Elizabeth, Mother of John the Baptist, M.A., English Composition, Illinois State University, B.S., English Literature, Illinois State University. Your children will gain a greater understanding of the lessons the story offers as they work this puzzle—and they’ll have a lot of fun in the process. California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. 'Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her' Luke x 38-42. She eagerly invited Jesus in and showed Him the kind of authentic hospitality that throws the door wide and serves the best I have. 10 Things the Bible Says about the Mark of the Beast, 10 Things Everyone Should Know about Jehovah's Witnesses and Their Beliefs, How to Tell if Your Struggles Are from You, God, or Satan, Modern Day Heroes - Today's Insight - November 11, 2020, 6 Healing Lessons from America’s Veterans. Article Images Copyright ©, 5 Lessons Women Can Learn from Mary and Martha. The story of Mary and Martha is one we can return to study again and again in our walk of faith because the lesson is timeless. She knows exactly who can fix things. I can just hear Martha’s frustrated thoughts: How dare she do this to me? They lived in a … Or the threadbare couch? Learn why this simple incident continues to baffle energetic Christians today. When she gets disgruntled by the unfairness of her situation, she wastes no time. For centuries people in the church have puzzled over the Mary and Martha story, knowing that someone has to do the work. We must remember what is most important. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. As Martha hurries to ensure the preparations, Mary simply sits at the feet of Jesus and listens. This story from The Beginner's Bible reminds us that even when we're really busy, taking time for God is always a good idea! Doesn’t she see that I’m doing everything on my own?! If all 12 apostles and some of the women who supported Jesus' ministry were traveling with him, fixing the meal would have been a major job. This Bible activity for children is a crossword puzzle about the story of Mary and Martha in Luke 10:38-42. Article Images Copyright © 2020 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. The Bible Story of Mary and Martha comes from Chapter 10 of the Gospel of Luke. He’s a strong God, after all, who doesn’t get miffed or offended when you come to Him in the middle of emotional upheaval. My own sister! One got caught up in chores. Martha then says to Jesus, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? And just like the smiling Christmas photo that never hints at the pre-pose argument or the toddler’s screaming fit right afterward, we miss the rest of the story too. Well, she’s scurrying around the kitchen like a whirlwind, checking the roast lamb, setting the table, and finishing the cake. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. Is Saying Oh My God (OMG) Cursing or Blasphemy? The three siblings were also close friends of Jesus Christ. And hospitality is something you and I can do right now. Copyright © 2020, Bible Study Tools. Martha marches right up to the highest authority in the room and commands Jesus, “Make my sister come and help me.”. One day while Jesus and his disciples stopped to visit in their home, a wonderful lesson unfolded. No two stories are exactly the same. Mary and Martha, who are sisters, open their home to Jesus as he travels with his disciples. This could be interpreted as a metaphor for how we can react to the teachings and presence of Jesus and God in our own lives. Mary and Martha, who are sisters, open their home to Jesus as he travels with his disciples. But Martha, even though she has theSaviour in … Can you imagine opening your front door to find Jesus on the sidewalk, chatting with His disciples? John 11:32 tells us that when Mary did finally go to Jesus, she fell at his feet weeping. We all have aspects of Mary and Martha within us. As women, we tend to do this a lot. Although both were upset and disappointed that Jesus did not arrive before Lazarus died, Martha ran out to meet Jesus as soon as she learned he had entered Bethany, but Mary waited at home. (2 Corinthians 9:8) And we find inner peace and strength to face whatever comes our way. Good stories fascinate her and she loves sharing them, often giggling at her own jokes before she gets the punch line out. All rights reserved. How interesting that Jesus doesn’t rebuke Martha for her words. When she pleads to Jesus that Mary should help her, He responds with, "Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." (Hebrews 13:5) We experience that His grace is sufficient for all that we face. Don’t you know who I am?” Jesus accepts Martha where she is, as she is, and listens to her tirade without batting an eye. As the Mary/Martha story unfolds, we find Mary smack in the middle of the living room, sitting with the boys, soaking up Jesus’s words. Janna Wright adores crisp mountain air, deep talks, and chocolate peanut butter anything. Jesus in the home of Martha. And if you drummed up the chutzpah, what might come next? Have I put devotion to Christ and his word first, or am I more concerned about doing good deeds. He is the author of "Hope for Hurting Singles: A Christian Guide to Overcoming Life's Challenges. Welcoming Jesus and his entourage into her house implied the fullest form of hospitality and involved substantial generosity.