1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting pans tag what you make with #smellslikehomeblog on Instagram and follow along with me in my New England kitchen! Line the bottoms of two 8- by 2-inch buttered cake pans with buttered parchment paper. Let cool 15 minutes. Ad Partners: SheKnows Media - Lifestyle - See Full Partners List>. Run a sharp knife around the edge of pans and transfer the cakes to the wire rack. Check every 15 to 20 minutes; stir until cool enough to spread, about 2 hours. Slice the cake, serve, and enjoy an absolutely classic American-style, moist yellow cake. 3 sticks (1½ cups) unsalted butter, at room temperature With the mixer on low speed, add half of the dry ingredients, then all of the milk, then the remainder of the dry ingredients, mixing to just about fully incorporate each before adding the next. I really feel like all of the things I've learned so far really paid off with this cake... cupcakes are my weakness... when all else fails, have a cupcake. Source: "Martha Stewart Living - (www.marthastewart.com)" S(Formatted for MC5): "by Lynn Thomas - Lynn_Thomas@prodigy.net" Per serving: 1235 Calories (kcal); 75g Total Fat; (53% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 134g Carbohydrate; 408mg Cholesterol; 664mg Sodium Food Exchanges: 2 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 14 1/2 Fat; 6 Other Carbohydrates Recipe by: Martha Stewart Converted by MM_Buster v2.0n. Food and Drinks. I’m making this as I type for a friend’s birthday tonight! Custom folders. Add the melted chocolate and mix on low speed for 1 to 2 minutes, until the chocolate incorporates into the butter mixture, scraping down the bowl as needed. ½ tsp salt Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans (a kitchen scale works great for this). (Makes two 8-inch layers) LEMON FILLING: Sift sugar, cornstarch and salt into a medium saucepan. Perfect, thank you! Mar 2, 2017 - This delicious cake recipe was adapted from "Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook." Refrigerate unused portion for up to 1 week. 1st, it took what seemed like FOREVER to finally get to the what and the But cake flour? Place remaining cake, top-side down, on top of the first and press down slightly. Spread on cooled cake. Once the cakes have cooled completely, frost and decorate as desired. . Line the bottom of each pan with a round of parchment paper cut to fit the pan. However, if you’ve been around these parts long enough, you’ll know that what really makes me most happy is baking from scratch. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Transfer to a large metal bowl; refrigerate. Dust the bottoms and sides of pans with flour, and tap out any excess. Place remaining cake, top-side down, on top of the first and press down slightly. Oh, and by the way - one small tweak transforms this recipe into one for Boston Cream Pie. Ice with a rich chocolate frosting. 1 tbsp baking powder I thought the frosting, with its 1 lb of chocolate, was chocolaty enough and I didn't want to add the extra liquid, as Annie had noted that her frosting was a little on the runny side at first. Disclaimer: Nutrition facts are derived from linked ingredients (shown at left in colored bullets) and may or may not be complete. ;-) Right. taco shop ... Ok, so today the weather finally hit like 70 farenheit. And thanks! This delicious cake recipe was adapted from "Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook." Allow the cakes to cool completely before frosting. source: adapted from Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook via Annie's Eats, For the cake: Try this Martha Stewarts Yellow Cake recipe, or contribute your own. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon peel; rub surface lightly with 1 tablespoon butter to prevent a skin from forming. (Makes 6 cups) ASSEMBLY: Remove the parchment paper from each cake; reserve the one with flattest bottom surface to use for the top layer of the assembled cake. We definitely didn't miss the extra cocoa here. Ok... Really quickly, I'll tell you my two big beefs with this book. Place the other cake, top-side down, on the serving platter as the first layer. (Makes 2 cups) RICH CHOCOLATE FROSTING: Place chocolate and cream in heavy saucepan. To make the cake:  Center one of the oven racks and preheat the oven to 350° F.  Grease the bottom and sides of two 9-inch round cake pans with butter. Recipe by Martha Stewart Living. Try visiting this page in a Javascript-enabled browser: https://www.bigoven.com/recipe/martha-stewarts-yellow-cake/137404. I’m kind of obsessed with that first photo. Beat in the vanilla. This sounds awesome! CAKE: Arrange two racks in the center of oven, and heat oven to 350 degrees. Add the eggs and 2 tablespoons butter and blend thoroughly. Smooth out the tops with an offset spatula. 4 large eggs Add the eggs, one at a time, beating to incorporate before adding the next and scraping the bowl as needed. I know this isn't 'cupcakes' but think of it as one BIG cupcake! Love it! As a result, several features will be disabled. Smooth out the tops with an offset spatula. 1517. Any cake will do. And up until a few years ago, the boxed version of yellow butter cake was fine – great (!! I’ve make cake flour this way several times and it works great! In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together; set aside. Toddler Meal Recipes. With deep-dark, fudgy chocolate icing. Scrape the bowl well to incorporate anything that may be stuck to the bottom of the bowl. Always consult a licensed nutritionist or doctor if you have a nutrition-related medical condition. I love homemade cake, it tastes so much better than the boxed mixes! Really, I’m not that picky when it comes to cake. Transfer the pans to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes. Feb 24, 2014 - This delicious cake recipe was adapted from "Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook." Cut a piece of parchment paper into circle-shape and put at the bottom of the pan. With the mixer on low speed, add half of the dry ingredients, then all of the milk, then the remainder of the dry ingredients, mixing to just about fully incorporate each before adding the next. Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans (a kitchen scale works great for this). Mix in the vanilla. Put simply, this yellow butter cake recipe rocks. This cake looks amazing! 1 lb semisweet chocolate, finely chopped 586. The ingredients are not listed in the right order as being part of the cake or filling or frosting. thanks, dear! Gradually add eggs, beating after each addition until batter is no longer slick, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides, about 5 minutes. The best tags are ones that the general public finds useful -- e.g., Simple, Vegan, Chocolate, Easy, Advance, etc. Buttered that too! Yellow Butter Cake with Chocolate Frosting. And actually, if you get the random 7pm Wednesday (or Monday or Thursday) night whiny-man requests for cake like I do, you sure as heck don’t want to drive to the store for a box mix when you most likely already have all the ingredients for this cake in your pantry and fridge already, right? This looks gorgeous!!!! Place saucepan over medium-low and whisk until smooth. Knittin... Well, well... why of wha... For about 5 years I've wanted to make deep fried shredded beef tacos at Gradually add sugar, and continue until lightened, 3 to 4 minutes, scraping down sides once or twice. martha stewart - yellow butter cake (with chocolate frosting) Happy Easter! The rich and glossy-smooth chocolate frosting is worthy of its own post but because it’s Friday and you’ll want to make this cake STAT, I decided to post them together. Your yellow cake looks lovely and moist. Let me know how it turns out for you! In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium-high speed for about 4 minutes, until the mixture is light and fluffy. so I thought I'd re-enter the ol' blog with a post about last week's Remove the pan from the heat and set aside to allow the chocolate to come to room temperature, about 25 minutes. Whatever stuck, stuck. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, until combined and thickened, 20 to 25 minutes. Funnily enough, it’s usually Kyle’s #1 cake choice too (when I give him the option to choose, that is) so I’m usually in cake heaven when we make a layer cake. […] yellow cake. Gradually blend in the cold water and lemon juice. If you want to go in a different direction with the frosting, I’ve also made this cake with my famous peanut butter frosting and the whipped vanilla frosting from my cannoli cake recipe. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through the baking time, until the cakes are a light golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the centers. If the kitchen is warm and the lemon filling seems runny, transfer the cake to the refrigerator to firm up the filling. Chill cake until frosting sets, about 10 minutes, and serve. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar, and salt on medium-high speed for 3 to 4 minutes, until the mixture is light and fluffy. How did you get them up the sides of the bottom? In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream butter at medium speed until softened, 1 to 2 minutes. I am obsessed with the way you did the sprinkles! Remove cakes from pans; set cakes top-side down on wire racks, and allow to cool completely, about 1 hour. It really is as perfect as any boxed mix out there – amazingly soft, yet sturdy, a wee bit tangy, and not at all greasy like some butter cakes can be. Its my husbands b-day and he always wants yellow cake with chocolate frosting. Recipe from marthastewart.com. Transfer pans to wire racks to cool. Might just have to try it this week end Thank you!! 2 tsp pure vanilla extract Get detailed nutrition information, including item-by-item nutrition insights, so you can see where the calories, carbs, fat, sodium and more come from. Continue stirring until the mixture reaches the desired thickness, about 2 to 3 minutes. and thanks for the stellar rec for this cake a few months back! 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing pans Bake 25 minutes, and rotate the pans in the oven if needed for even browning. 38 Treats for Holiday Treat Packages & Platters, https://www.smells-like-home.com/2013/06/yellow-butter-cake-with-chocolate-frosting/, Yellow Butter Cake with Chocolate Frosting | Peonies and Pomegranates, 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing pans, 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting pans, 3 sticks (1½ cups) unsalted butter, at room temperature.