Not Advised: Therefore, the following is grammatically correct: Although they are all grammatically acceptable, we prefer “During the 1980s, the world’s economy grew.” It’s not just that it’s more formal sounding, but it is specific regarding the century you’re referring to, and the apostrophe is simply not necessary. (leave out 12:00) During the ’80s, the world’s economy grew. Perhaps a way to relieve donmorberg’s and Angelo S.’s cognitive dissonance related to the use of an apostrophe when talking about dates (e.g. I was always taught to think of it in the sense that the 70’s “owned” all the years from 1970 to 1979. 6. There should also be a comma after the year. Leave out one or the other: Surely, no one could assume you mean 1918. You write “…..at 5 o’clock.” Is it incorrect to write “at five o’clock” or is that also acceptable? She welcomes her 11th grandchild home. Remembering Jane Straus | May 18, 1954—February 25, 2011. It replaces the spelled word “eighties.”. This podcast was written by Bonnie Trenga, author of The Curious Case of the Misplaced Modifier, who blogs at sentencesleuth.blogspot.com, and I'm Mignon Fogarty, the author of the paperback book Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing. Do you repeat the year if a range of dates occurs in the same year? Example: She gets up at four thirty before the baby wakes up. Now that I am old, I know it is. The large capitals seem out of place in the text. During the period commencing retroactively on August 1, 2020, and continuing through and including December 31, 2020, rent shall be reduced. Since its inception in July 2015, 222 low-income fathers have graduated from Dedicated Dads. Which is correct? or MONDAY, AUGUST 27, 7:00-9:30 PM instead of MONDAY, AUGUST 27, 7:00 PM-9:30 PM. Cowards may die many times before their death. 4. To me, the use of the apostrophe is wrong because it is inconsistent. Yes, our Rule 2 of The Apostrophe with Numbers, Letters, and Abbreviations says, “For clarity, most writers use apostrophes with single capital letters and single-digit numbers.” Regarding the day-month-year format, The Chicago Manual of Style recommends no comma after the day, e.g., 25 December 2017. Finally, you can also post questions on Facebook or Twitter. Material created by Jane Straus and GrammarBook.com. In writing dialog in fiction is it permissible to just say something like “see you at 5” instead of saying see you at 5:00 p.m.? 2. We understand your concern and don’t particularly like that apostrophe either; however, up until sometime in the later 20th century, constructions like the 1970’s and the 70’s were the preference of many distinguished editors. Example: The baby wakes up at 5 o’clock in the morning. 6th of April 2018, 6th of April, 2018 (See Rule 9 of Writing Numbers.). Without the ‘s, you would be essentially saying 1970s – meaning the one year is plural, and that is incorrect. Our Rule 9 of Commas says, “Use a comma to separate the day of the month from the year, and—what most people forget!—always put one after the year, also.” Therefore, your comma is correct. I have been having trouble finding the correct way to express a duration of time. Although we are unable to see the rest of the sentence, a comma seems appropriate here. Unrelated comments may be deleted. The Associated Press Stylebook says, “Do not use on before a date or day of the week when its absence would not lead to confusion, except at the beginning of a sentence.” We agree with AP and recommend not overusing prepositions. I think 2018 but a coworker disagrees. The Curious Case of the Misplaced Modifier, http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/as-like-at-beginning.aspx, Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing. Talking about the collective years that make up the eighties, 1980s does not need an apostrophe because it is plural, not possessive. I can’t figure out what makes your third example correct: “During the 1980’s, the world’s economy grew.” Would it be correct to write the above sentence with ON as well (We’re leaving ON the 23rd of August)?. The following would be grammatically correct: 5. OR Why would putting one is 1980s be correct? For the second sentence we recommend An inaugural symposium was held August 13-14, 1981, at the fledgling WNHRC. On the night of August 13-14, 1956, four UFOs were sighted. The ‘s should only be used in contractions meaning is, and for possession of a singular noun or name. Is a comma needed after the 14 and the 23 since the year is not on the same line? We’ll consider expanding on this topic in a future e-newsletter. “Thank you for your inquiry on the 30th of June in which you requested information about our range of products.” Here your reader might think that the first sentence is your idea and that Baron’s idea begins in the second sentence. “We last meet in September, 2018.” or “We last meet in September 2018.”. Our Rule 9 of Commas says, “Use a comma to separate the day of the month from the year, and—what most people forget!—always put one after the year, also.” Greeting cards, invitations, wedding announcements, and the like go by their own rules. While most of our site should function with out, we recommend turning it back on for a better experience. The market is open from 9 am to 9 pm. While writing a sentence ending in 2017-2018, the 2018 has to wrapped to next line. I know the rule says always after the year, but it seems awkward when date used as a reference. I am seeing this a lot and it looks wrong to me, but you give it as an acceptable form above. Most people would interpret that the fair will begin on August 31 and extend to and including September 5. I often find myself saying sentences like “As a copy editor, I must correct many mistakes.” Now you try. We can only suggest: “… submit [responses] by 1 PM on April 29, 2020.”. 9/26/18 or 9/26/2018 Rule: There are differing policies for expressing decades using numerals. 3. Writing numbers is a minefield. The first example appears to be referring to a single nighttime. OR That being said, writing “We’re leaving on the 23rd of August” would not be incorrect. If you wish to respond to another reader's question or comment, please click its corresponding "REPLY" button. I’m going to the gym for a 4:30 is acceptable in an informal, most likely spoken, context. The en dash indicates up to and including, or through): Titles of Books, Plays, Articles, etc. Sign up to receive the FREE weekly GrammarBook.com E-Newsletter. Alas I am just a mathematician. I seem to remember direction in the past saying no comma or a comma after the day are both appropriate. I should have said, “As a copy editor, I have to rearrange sentences too many times.” As a student of grammar, you should try to remember this mantra: “As,” “job name,” comma, “person.” That way, you’ll remember the correct order and avoid a misplaced modifier. Doing otherwise is confusing and unnecessary. However, using two apostrophes (the ’80’s) is awkward and is not recommended. You may or may not be happy to hear that “the correct way” may consist of numerous acceptable options, including one and a half hours, 1 1/2 hours, one hour and thirty minutes, 1 hour and 30 minutes, 1.5 hours, 90 minutes, etc. Examples (exact beginning and end dates not important): The day-month-year format requires no punctuation. We express our preference more clearly in our Writing Numbers Rules 11 and 12. I am proofreading our agency’s annual report but I am not sure how to word the following sentence. We recommend changing the preposition at to from and using the word to instead of a hyphen. Yes, “at five o’clock” is fine. Rule: Some use numerals with the time of day when exact times are being emphasized. Required fields are marked *. Thank you, Your first sentence is acceptable; however, we recommend simplifying as follows: Can you shed some light? 3. We don’t see any particular advantage to writing “December 08” vs. “December 8,” but the style is up to you, What is correct? As a stickler for grammar rules, I urge you not to use “it” or “there” after an “as” phrase. Can you get here by 12:00 midnight? A. Up until sometime in the later 20th century, constructions like the 1970’s and the 70’s were the preference of many distinguished editors. Bonnie Mills has been a copyeditor since 1996.