The problem? It’s just too demanding on the hardware. Devices may vary as we strive to find the one that works best in your area. I am poor so I use a cheap old belkin router. If you have windows 10 you could try using the PC hotspot feature and then using the router as a wifi repeater/extender of that network. SAVE then Apply Settings After these settings are applied and the router settles down (can be as long as 10-20 minutes), enter the new IP address to regain access to the router. You’ll want to locate the two connections we’ll be using: There are two ways to share your tethered internet connection to the LAN port. Nothing to do with a data cap because if I unplug it from the ASUS and go straight into the PC again it jumps right back up. Upon reaching 15 GB I received a txt message indicating I had used that much of my hotspot for the month and would be throttled to 600kbps until the next billing cycle. But most people won’t need or want the true top-end line. The old method was to turn on your phone’s wifi hotspot feature, but that has really limited range and chews up your phones battery like crazy (not to mention shortening it’s lifespan if you do this daily). Verizon is still seeing all of this internet activity as hotspot. The absolute easiest way to test your setup is to plug the other end of the Ethernet cable (the one that’s going into your routers WAN port) into another computer. This is embarrassing. And now you have the best methods of sharing your unlimited 4G data plan through your router. Therefore, you are stuck! Then enter a new IP address on a different ‘subnet’. Discovering Visible, Verizon’s pre-paid plan alleging “no speed caps, no data limits”, I jumped on their plan today… specifically to tether data to my home network. Of all the ones offered, you can expect to pay between $80-$300 for the Asus. It could also shorten your battery life permanently if you continuously do it. As a result, you can’t directly tether the phone to the router with this method. Our AT&T grandfathered, and Unlimited 4G LTE Hotspot Data will provide you with high-speed internet access anywhere on the AT&T Network, within the 50 United States. You’re now sharing the tethered connection with your Ethernet port. On the Setup-> Basic Setup Tab, Router IP Local IP Address, Enter 192.168.xxx.xxx. Locate your ethernet and tethered connection and highlight both. Periodically recheck that your USB tether is active and you can access the internet on the tethered computer. So simple Right! You may need to re-enable tethering on your phone after the router reboots. #2 – Having never used a 4G router, I’m not sure whether that could circumvent the tethering caps or not. Disable it temporarily and see if your setup magically starts working. mine are: 192.168.2.1(nextbook ethernet port) and 192.168.2.2 (pfsens opt1 port). How do I get past step 3 of Method #2 on a Linux Mint 64-bit desktop. We run a VPN server, VPN client, home cloud server, and have over 20 connected devices with no problems whatsoever. But sure, you should still be able to use it. To resolve this you can either use the PDA+Net method instead of stock tethering, or you can try the ‘extend TTL’ setting on ASUSWRT. Oh this is so exciting!!! Needed inet, so I added cellphone data tethering for my PC’s: 30G data at $99/mo goes quickly for browsing, Quicken & Netflix, so I’ve recently gone to a $50/mo cable inet promo for a year, sending me looking for a lower cost cell plan. I did 2 cams, and they’re showing up on my computer on the same network, but can’t access on my android (different company, with very high speed unlimited available) I’m tethering the asus off tmobile, verrrry slow speeds, but get youtube ok. I’m thinking that I’m missing something to check off. UnlimitedToGo Unlimited Hotspot Data Plans. This will open the ‘Ethernet Properties’ window. Hi, I am a little illiterate as far as 4G Cellular is concerned. But what about connecting to router? Nomad Internet provides the advantages of all major Internet providers all with a single plan. then going through 3 levels of tech support, providing them a detailed map of my home network, only to tell me after a wasted weekend the following: “This is Shadae J. from the Asus Proactive Care team. Fantastic article. These are the two highly recommended devices to be used with our plans. We have tested these devices and we are sure that these devices give the best results with our plans. I turned off the VPN at the router and am now running VPN on phone. I purchased a VPN as suggested and entered it into the router with a confirmed vpn ip. I should receive it in a couple days and will report my findings. Can you please explain further what you mean by ” This method works only with your carrier’s ‘official’ tethering method”. A VPN service will help protect your online privacy and unblock sites from around the world. Any revisions to your articla that you would care to share? Possible to get around hotspot data caps: Most ‘unlimited’ plans still cap the hotspot usage on your data plan. I’ve been researching this (live in rural area with few internet choices) and stumbled on your article. You may of course cancel your subscription with us at anytime by simply returning your device and we never charge any cancellation fees! Being that cable or other internet/TV options are not available or limited Netflix is cornerstone to entertainment around here. We could not get the first connection option to work, so we tried the 2nd, however, we don’t have the “Share” tab on the “Properties” window of our PdaNet Broadband connection… I have gone through all of the troubleshooting suggestions y’all have provided, but I still keep coming up against the same obstacle. However, when I connect it to the ASUS router, it does not recognize the tethered connection. Gypsy Wireless offers a fully unlimited 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot for $60 a month with no throttling and no data caps. Apparently some carriers identify hotspot/tethered traffic via the TTL value on packets. You’ll be taken to the USB Modem/USB Tethering screen, where you’ll need to do the following: Depending on your phone model and Android version, the tethering options may be in a different place. Sorry, I don’t know enough about galaxy devices to make any suggestions. I only have 4gb’s of data per month on my phone that is also shared with my son. We hope you found it worthwhile. Basically you just want to share the 4g Modem’s network connection to your ethernet port, and from there to your router. However anything connected only through the Vlan on the router does not see the connection as having access to the internet. Instead, we’re going to tether the phone to your computer, and then share the computer’s tethered connection with the router (using an Ethernet cable for maximum speed). I have 2 refurbished PCs. So, is it possible to proposely leak my US IP address to access Netflix? The base local IP address is 192.168.1.1 so we recommend changing just the 3rd number block. Certainly Tmobile has some I idea you’re tethering (based on the data patterns alone). Using these techniques can be valuable if you are in a location with no access to WiFi, you do not want to pay for it, or think the WiFi may be too slow. We purchase in bulk and pass the savings along to our members. Question 1) In Method #1 – Tether phone to ASUS router – would the download speed be that of the phone? Enter your address to view the coverage for this carrier in your area. It is accessed from the local IP address of the router. Are you running the asus n55u behind another router or modem? Use VPN software on individual devices: You can easily install VPN software on your PC, Mac, or Laptop computer (or even a tablet) that is connected to your tethered router. I’ve tried it with a tethered Verizon phone and it worked fine, but the connection would occasionally drop if it was idle for too long. I did not, I’m trying to use the “native” tethering through the phone directly to the AC68U as described in the article. You have to actually install software on your computer as well to make the tethering work. ON the Network Map screen of the router settings, look to see if your WAN status shows ‘Connected’. (I suspect that this is related to the fact that to recognize that the PdaNet Hotspot has an internet connection, any device must be able to recognize and use the PdaNet automatic proxy, i.e. i plug in the ethernet cable from the router to the pc. Scroll to the bottom and…. PPTP continued to fly under their radar. If you have any other devices we do support them and you can contact us to know how to get started. What you do in this case is tether your phone to your computer with a USB cable and then share your connection to the router with an ethernet cable. Begin with the lowest cost option. Can you help me set this up? Thanks for this. We recently moved to a rural area with no high speed internet. I got better, more stable connections by tethering to a computer and then sharing that connection to the router via Ethernet. I need to set up a router with full-time internet connection in my motorhome. Keep up the fine work! Here are the brief steps you would use with this method. Sorry, I can’t do a 1-on-1 consultation, but you should be able to follow essentially the same steps in this tutorial to accomplish what you’re trying to do. This should probably work because you aren’t running the VPN on the router, but rather on your device. I don’t understand why the speed on my phone is so high, but drops on my laptop, and his a limit on the devices connected to my router. All offers, content, promotions & prices listed today are subject to change without prior notice. VPNUniversity.com makes money by referring sales to partner programs including VPN services and the Amazon.com associates program (? It may be worth deleting the bridge and creating it again from scratch to see if that helps? My guess would be that carrier-authorized devices would used tethered data and 3rd-party (unauthorized) devices would use the unlimited data if you can get them to work. If you use PDA+Net, it can successfully conceal the type of data for most carriers, but as you said it’s inconvenient to keep your phone to your PC all the time. (The physical tether is limiting.) Since tethering can cause data throttling using both methods, we suggest using a VPN to get around those restrictions. The better way is to tether to your computer and then use your computer’s ethernet port to share connectivity to the router. There are a few VPNs that do still work with Netflix though. Make sure your WAN type is set to WAN (not LAN, or USB, or whatever option you have). 2017 has finally brought an explosion of ‘Unlimited’ 4G plans available from US wireless carriers. I have begun supporting a rural area of Texas and the only options we have had for internet was Hughes Net or Viasat, which is VERY poor internet. I believe you need to use vpn on the phone to keep it from throttling. Obviously this makes it a bit difficult to determine if this set up is actually working or not. So you see, there are many reasons why using a router is better than the built-in wireless hotspot. It is much cheaper and faster than my previous satellite internet provider. These membership plans include Unlimited high-speed 4G LTE mobile hotspot data (wherever you have a 4G LTE signal) for normal internet usage. No significant loss of speed, but there are some websites that won’t let me visit while the VPN is active. Do you see a significant drop in speed using when connecting to the router? As current customers cancel their service, items will become available. When you join NoLimitData, you are now part of our connected community that works to get you online with fast, reliable, unlimited wireless internet connection.