Lotus symbolises purity, although growing from mud, it is unstained. It is one of the three friends of winter with the bamboo and the pine tree. Pear blossom with raindrops is considered one of the most beautiful sights and so is associated with a beautiful girl. Apricots and the closely related almond represent female elegance, perhaps because the large seed is ovoid shaped like the eyes of an Oriental beauty. Cultivation of orchids in Chinese gardens goes back a long time, the first book on their care dates back to 1233. Required fields are marked *. Stones, bamboo and narcissii together give the wish ‘may the immortals grant a wish for a long life’. The bark of the plant is used in traditional medicine. Many southern states, along with Mexican, commercially grow mandarin oranges. A willow tree is featured prominently and hence the name. The pomegranate fruit is brim full of seeds, and as seed in Chinese 子 zǐ also means children, it chiefly symbolizes a wish for many children. There are several trees given the general term 同 tòng including the Parasol tree (Firmiana simplex ➚) and Paulownia imperialis ➚. your own Pins on Pinterest There is good cause for double celebration today because the Mid Autumn festival and National day fall on the same day - the next time this will happen is 2031. peach fruit - long life, association of immortality, divine fruit of gods Together with plums it may represent husband and wife in a painting. We love oranges, and I love putting the smell after I put the orange peels down the garbage disposal. Opium poppies were grown in the south west of China - particularly in Yunnan. People would climb hills and mountains to watch the rising of the full moon. lotus, stem - connection to origin So a walnut has come to symbolize a flirtation. I love this informational post and can’t wait to show him the video! The Daoist philosopher Laozi is said to have been born beneath a plum tree. these are so pretty! Pine trees are commonly planted around graveyards (see also cypresses) perhaps due to the association of longevity or may be due to a legend that the graveyard demons 罔象 wǎngxiàng are kept away by them. The city of Guilin 桂林 in Guangxi is named after the many osmanthus trees that have been planted there. In combination with a swallow it symbolizes artistic ability. Hù 护 sounds the same and means ‘protect’ while 祜 hù means ‘blessing’. Families force them to flower early by growing in a pot with water and pebbles. The first trees were brought into China from Afghanistan during the Han dynasty. So I figured there was no way I could included ALL oranges in this ingredient spotlight…there are so many things to learn about mandarins alone! If the picture shows roots (柢 dǐ) of a tree this symbolizes numerous generations (代 dài). I’m guessing even just buying them fresh in the store (rather than canned) will increase your likelihood of them being local. It is often planted in temple gardens as it is said to have four virtues: long life; sheltering birds; giving shade and freedom from insect pests. According to the Yi Jing ‘marital sharpness is broken when they are in harmony, the words of harmony are as fragrant as orchids’. This is probably from the homophone 淘 táo ‘to eliminate’. The fruits are considered yang in traditional medicine and so are eaten to offset an excess of yin. These sweet little juice bombs are a gift from nature, and we’re about to give them the appreciation they deserve. Tang Emperor Xuanzong instigated an operatic troupe in his pear orchard and so members of the theatrical profession are known as ‘followers of the pear orchard’ 梨园子弟 lí yuán zǐ dì. Read on for all the juicy deets you need to know about mandarin oranges, and stick around for a citrus-wonderland of recipes in the coming days. Lan Caihe is portrayed as a woman or an hermaphrodite and plays heavenly music. It has also been used as a buoyancy aid for children and could be forced to grow into a shape to form a suitable container in which to keep a cricket as a pet. The dried beans mixed with water make a milk-like liquid : soy milk 豆浆, dòu jiāng and this is then left to coagulate into soft bean curd blocks. The tree is associated with the phoenix and yin, as the phoenix is such an auspicious creature wutong trees were planted in the hope it may attract one to land on it. The Lychee or Lichee is best known for its white juicy fruit from late summer; the flesh of the fruit surrounds a large, gnarled kernel. The peach of immortality in Chinese mythology (蟠桃; pántáo) can make people perpetually young. In combination with other symbols such as the phoenix, pheasant and peacock a peony represents a good reputation. However unlike most other fruits the pear has a unfortunate homophone as 离 lí means ‘separate; divide’ so it should never be given as a present to a couple. Pears are a long lived fruit tree, as they can survive for 350 years, and so they symbolize a wish for a long life. Could you use a vegetable peeler while they’re still soft? Usually I purchase from Aldi. Book : Chinese Symbolism and Art Motifs:…, Chinese Charms -- Hidden Meaning of Symbols. The Lotus Position ➚ (padmāsana) is a compact cross-legged position for meditation inspired by the overall structure of the lotus. A boy shooting an arrow at three oranges indicates a wish for him to come first (hit the target) in all three levels of examination, here the orange is just a symbol for a circle 圆 yuán to form 连中三元 lián zhòng sān yuán. The Chinese cinnamon or Cassia spice tree (Cinnamomum cassia) is native to southern China. The flowering time is just right for the New Year festival. All parts of the apricot tree are used in traditional medicine. The character to express good wishes 祝 zhù sounds similar and so bamboo as a decoration expresses a wish for peace and happiness. bamboo, lucky - luck, money, quick achievement, strength, endurance, Basket of fruit or flowers - one of the Eight Immortals, Cherry blossoms - power, feminine beauty and sexuality, Chrysanthemum - intellectual accomplishments, cleansing qualities, cure illnesses, longevity, considered to be the ‚'gentleman of flowers' (also symbol of autumn), Jujube (date), red coloured - wealth, prosperity, fertility. Orchid - elegance (also symbol of spring). Mulberry trees are very widely planted in China because they are the food plant of the silkworm. Because tong also means ‘shared, joint, together’ the tree represents a wish for a shared and peaceful life. I didn’t know either until I started looking into them more! peach petals - state of intense trance of love