I need help on the full dove tail joint set up, thanks:help::yes2: There are several different Porter Cable dovetail jig models. (See page 36.) Since I’m working on faced drawers I used through dovetails. Dovetail Jig Combination Kit enables cutting a wide variety of joinery for drawers, boxes, and furniture. So, you can cut notches in one piece and tails in the other in one pass and save the time, getting a … One of the most crucial aspects in properly milling a dovetail joint on the Porter Cable dovetail jig is precisely Enables through dovetails and box joints to be cut. How To Set Up and Use The Porter Cable Dovetail Jig - YouTube It is a bench-top mounted jig, which means you can clamp it to different surfaces for stability while cutting. Which model number do you have? What HP router are others using to cut half blind dovetails? Setup is made effortless with easy-to-see alignment lines. Router tooling breaks for a variety of reasons. When it comes to fashioning miniature dovetails, hidden dovetails, through dovetails, box joints, and other small ornamental joints, this is the perfect tool. The two most common dovetail joints are through dovetails: Image: Wikipedia. I have tried 6 different brands of bits with the same results. I have recently bought a Porter-Cable 4216 Dovetail Jig. T ... By full dovetails I would guess that is the same as through dovetails. Although this jig can execute finger joints, sliding dovetails, and even through-dovetails (when equipped with suitable templates), I use it exclusively to join drawer parts with half-blind dovetails. Always remember to thoroughly clean the tools shank, the collet, and the spindle every time you change tools. I have a lot of respect for some of DeWalt tools, but I do not know anything about your particular router. The router is not the problem. To cut my dovetails I used a router and jig both made by Porter Cable. The 1/4" shank bits broke frequently. The essentials of operation Each tested jig requires a guide bushing mounted in the router’s subbase—or, in the case of the Leigh RTJ400, the router table—to steer the bit around the fingers on the templates (see photos below ). I can’t understand this as the template is approx. You can push even small tools pretty hard if the conditions are right, but even a 15% increase in feed rate would not have made up for the cost of breaking, and the benefit would have been negligible. 7° dovetail bit. We use 5/8" poplar for drawer parts and we do get some chatter. I fully agree with Chad. Requires ½ in. The 1/4" shank bits broke frequently. The Porter-Cable 4216 and Rockler 22818 jigs come with everything except a straight bit for making box joints. It’s a replacement part for models 4212 and 4216 and accessory for model 4210. If you could post which model you have you can get better advice and help. However, when I build kitchen cabinets, vanities, or storage units, I turn to my compact, portable, and easy-to-use Porter-Cable dovetail jig. A discussion focused on woodworkers' favorite routers for cutting half-blind dovetails. The tool manual explains setup and use of the jig. Someday I will cut a dovetail joint by hand, but I’ve got a lot of drawers to fix and I appreciate the … Try a Porter Cable router, and try both common sizes. Porter-Cable provides everything you need, including the bushing, the template, and a 1/2"-dia. You can also find the addendum manual on this site in the PC section. We have never broken a bit with this setup. Unless you are noticing a lack of power, you should look at the tool and work holding factors as the primary issues, and that may mean that your DeWalt is no longer rigid enough for the job. The PORTER-CABLE 4216 dovetail jig can be installed on any table by tightening four cam clamps. I currently use a Dewalt 610 1 1/2 HP router with a PC Omni jig and we break a bit on almost every job. Too Deep If the pins on the drawer sides go too far into the sockets on the drawer front, the sockets are too deep. With the 3 included templates, the PORTER-CABLE 4216 Dovetail Jig is able to produce 8 different types of joints including half-blind, rabbeted half-blind, sliding dovetails, through dovetails, box joints, miniature through, half-blind dovetails, and miniature box joints. Some have fixed templates that are not adjustable/removable. The 1-1/2 hp is pretty easy to handle, and is a fine hand tool. If either moves/vibrates/chatters, you are really pounding the tool and spindle to death. You need to use a 5/8" guide on your router (for the 1/2" shank), and a template with 5/8" spacing. A forum community dedicated to router and woodworking professionals and enthusiasts. We use a Porter Cable 690, 1-1/2hp router with an Omni jig and a 1/2" dovetail bit (1/2"shank) with excellent results on 5/8" soft maple drawers. Jump to Latest Follow 1 - 5 of 5 Posts. Porter cable has the manuals for their products on their web site. JavaScript is disabled. Dovetail Jig Combination Kit enables cutting a wide variety of joinery for drawers, boxes, and furniture. And half-blind dovetails: Image: Wikipedia. I ran one 1/4" 2 flute down spiral at 630 IPM through 3/4" treated plywood on a full run of 18,240 inches without breakage, in my CNC Router. The larger 3 hp unit will add mass and power, and maybe a variable speed. I suspect that the problem is the router or the operator’s technique. Those are generally cut each piece individually, rather than at the same time like you can with fixed-width half-blind dovetails. Enhance the capability of your 4210 or 4212 dovetail jig with this Miniature Dovetail Template Kit. The weight and size of this jig will also ensure you keep a straight edge. Overfeeding the tool will lead to bogging down of the router, and probably a severe chatter just before the router stalls, and/or the bit breaks. We like the Dewalt 610 because of its smaller size, but would a more powerful router work better? The most common reason for a tool to fail is chatter, either in the work or the tool spindle. Come join the discussion about different types of routing and routers, shop safety, finishing, woodworking related topics, styles, tools, scales, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Some dovetail jigs such as the Porter Cable 4212 have built-in depth adjustment gauges to make this process easier. straight bit. I have this and it was more clearer and helpful then the user manual that came with my jig. "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. We have never broken a bit with this setup. ", VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. Question I have the 4212 which is fixed width dovetails. I don't mind if other members disagree with my comments. Some common causes for chatter are: poor work holding, worn collets, spindle runout (bent spindle, worn bearings, cheap router, etc) and bent tooling (solid carbide doesn't "bend"). I hope to make some furniture soon that will make use of half blind dovetails. This is a template kit for 4200 series dovetail jigs. Problem with porter cable jig. Any junk left behind may prevent the tool from seating properly, and it will not run "true", adding to the chatter/breakage problem. The manual states that the jig depth measure should be set 3/8 inch below the template (in its lowest position). I have the 77240 (similar to the 55160) with adjustable and replaceable templates. KnowledgeBase: Furniture: Custom Furniture, KnowledgeBase: Furniture: Furniture Manufacturing, KnowledgeBase: Solid Wood Machining: General, KnowledgeBase: Solid Wood Machining: Setup and Maintenance, KnowledgeBase: Woodworking Miscellaneous: Accessories. My Porter Cable jig I have does through dovetails, half blind dovetails, rabbeted half-blind, sliding dovetails, box joints and miniature versions of all these joints. Two lock cams on the front and top of this model allow installing two wood pieces orthogonally. Ideal for woodworking, furniture, and cabinet making, our 12 in. This ingeniously designed jig cuts the mating pin board and tail board at the same time, using an aluminum template to guide a bushing mounted on your router subbase. I do know that Porter Cable makes a good quality hand router that is very popular among cabinet makers. We use a Porter Cable 690, 1-1/2hp router with an Omni jig and a 1/2" dovetail bit (1/2"shank) with excellent results on 5/8" soft maple drawers. If you have the 4212 model, the is an addendum for it up there, free down load. Using a larger router will help, as the additional mass will help cut down on chatter. Place each piece in order into the jig with it (usually) up against the left stops. Dust Collection, Safety and Plant Operation, Job Opportunities and Woodworking Services. The Porter-Cable 4216 dovetail jig is an excellent choice for woodworkers who need more precision. Forum Responses PORTER-CABLE 4216 Super Jig Ideal for woodworking, furniture, and cabinet making.