Will be part of the regular rotation! The dates are definitely not optional, in my opinion, since they add a lot to the flavor of the dish. Hope that helps! Cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes to let the flavors combine. It’s traditionally made with rice, lentils, and caramelized onions, making it incredibly affordable and satisfying (and naturally plant-based!). Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. The flavors are wonderful and the dish is warming and comforting. Thankyou for the introduction !! Click to learn more about us. I’m not a huge fan of Indian cuisine, but that may in part be due to the fact that I never really liked the aromas of the spices they use. Start by cooking lentils (see notes if using canned). Planning to try it again using fresh and maybe alittle rice since the flavor was so good. ⁠ Only thing that I wasn’t sure about was when I added the cooked and drained lentils it all went a bit mushy. xoxo! I do love the texture. Really good! Sauté with curry powder and cumin seed, the cooked lentils, and half of the crispy shallot, reserving the remaining shallot for serving! As a big fan of All Things Cauliflower (and most anything curry related), I knew I had to try this. This dish looks amazing. . Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. You can also subscribe without commenting. Remove lentils from heat but don’t drain yet. We’re so glad everyone enjoyed it, Nicole! Then reduce heat to low and simmer until lentils are just tender with a very slight bite — about 15-20 minutes. Served with lemon juice and chopped parsley. Much like Italian food, curry becomes even more flavorful as it sits, making leftovers a dream. Xo, Hi, I’m Lebanese and we make mujadara all the time. You may use either tomato paste or strained tomato for this recipe. Learn more about mujadara’s origins here, and find a more traditional preparation of the dish here! We’re so glad you both enjoy this recipe! If you do not have red lentils, you can use brow or green lentils, split yellow peas, or split mung beans. Ah, thanks for sharing, Ava! Definitely recommend. If so, what temp and amount of time would you recommend? Excellent recipe and nice change from regular curried cauliflower rice. Also, red lentils give the curry a nice creamy texture. We didn’t use the dates or pomegranate arils but they weren’t missed. paired well with hummus! *If using canned lentils, simply rinse 1 15 oz (425g) can of lentils, drain, and set aside. Whoop! Start by cooking lentils (see notes if using canned). This would make the perfect dish for when you’re craving quick comfort. Will definitely fix this again. Add curry paste, minced garlic, ginger root, turmeric, and cinnamon. Thank you for all your hard work and effort, it truly makes our lives much easier. While it is good, it is on the bland side. Let us know if you try it though! I had trouble crisping the shallots, but the dish was still delicious! xo. I followed it except that I didn’t add the dates. The curry powder is added later to better coat the cauliflower rice! And of course, the tomato paste and curry powder! This does not cost you anything extra but it supports this site to bring you more amazing allergen-free content and means so much for us. Satisfying Thanks so much for the lovely review! I made this dish tonight, it was amazing! I’m making this version with some changes for Iftar today. I’m going to add a few cloves of lightly sautéed minced garlic next time to sauté the cauliflower. Delicious – I’ll be making this one again. Thanks so much for sharing, Shanon! Then, I’m going to add the shallots last only on the top to serve (like Thanksgiving Green Bean casserole) because all the crunchy goodness disappears when mixed with the lentils and then riced cauliflower. Add cooked drained lentils and season with a few pinches of sea salt. About to make your marinara sauce for tonight now. These cookies do not store any personal information. Thanks so much for sharing your experience! I made this tonight. One of my favourite recipes and part of my regular rotation. Mine was a bit bitter but could be the quality too. I added 2 Tablespoons of curry powder as the flavor needed more than one to come through. Lastly, I followed the tip of a few of the commenters and decided to keep the shallots totally separate during the cooking process, so that the wouldn’t be drowned out by the strong spices. Set aside. I want to bite into all that gorgeous crunch that I created while painstakingly making them. Add the onion, garlic, celery and green pepper and fry gently for 10–12 minutes or until softened and beginning to colour. Also used a bag of pre-riced cauliflower and a can of drained, rinse lentils to make it faster. Let us know how it goes! Thanks for the feedback, Jennifer! The leftover cauliflower rice can be added to a stir fry or frozen and added to smoothies. Could almond flour be used in place of chickpea flour? ; Heat the oil in a skillet (photo 2) and cook the garlic, onion, and ginger with the cayenne flakes over medium-high heat until golden brown (photo 3), stirring occasionally. We ate the whole lot as a main for two. Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more salt or curry powder to taste or broth for moisture. Bought ingredients to make this tomorrow! For example, as far as I can tell this recipe is totally vegan, but I noticed a lot of them that are have “vegan” or “plant based” in the title, where this one doesn’t. However, salads and potato wedges might not be for everyone, especially not my Asian parents-in-law and grandparents. Next time, would you mind leaving a rating with your review? Your email address will not be published. Thanks so much! Ah, yes the extra moisture can make it kind of mushy. SUSHI ROLLS ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT MADE UNDER $5! Serve over Basmati rice. Can powdered cumin and coriander be used ? Big kiss! Just curious :). Wonderful – thanks for sharing! xo. I typically only use one date, but otherwise make the recipe as-is (a rarity for me as I’m always experimenting). I can’t eat any grains (no rice, or wheat, etc), and I am wondering how to fry the onions! Hmm, if it tasted bitter you could try compensating by adding more cauliflower rice, salt, and more dates. It’s been a comfort food recipe I continue to fall back on :). We’re so glad you enjoyed it, Christa! I used brown rice instead of cauliflower (since I had none), and added a few more dates. Yummy! We wonder if arrowroot might be another option! It does not taste like cauliflower at all. Mujadara is a satisfying vegetarian dish with Middle Eastern and Arab influences. It’s super helpful for us and other readers. Rolli, No-bake Maca Caramel Shortbread⁠ Cheers, friends. Thanks so much for sharing, Holly! Want to do something different on the side burner for this weekend’s barbecue? I made this last night with frozen cauliflower rice. It’s super helpful! Loved this because it was something new to our weekly feeds. Therefore the sides should be the last thing to worry about. I mixed lentils, cauliflower rice and cooked basmati rice ( keeps me full for longer ;) and used sultanas instead of dates. Made this and it did taste really good. Balance is the key! If you don't have a knife sharp enough to do this, ask your butcher to help out with this step. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. I usually make this with regular white rice and it comes out delicious! Hi Christie, we haven’t tried it that way, but it should work. The spices can range in simplicity from just salt, pepper, and cumin to more complex flavors like cinnamon, lemon peel, and cayenne pepper. It’s super helpful for us and other readers. Bring to a low boil over medium-high heat. Whether you are veteran in gluten-free dairy-free recipes, or like me and my family getting on this later than many people, it is always better be late than never to take care of our wellness through lifestyle changes! My husband and I are thinking of serving it at a house party in the future. The dates are a MUST. Since your recipes aren’t 100% vegan and I know you’ve chosen to add more meat/dairy, will you be labeling everything that’s vegan as such, just for ease of browsing? If vegetarian it’s eaten with Balkan style yogurt. This recipe is a good starting-off point. Thanks for sharing, Stewart! Have you ever tried mujadara? It’s also very easy to make and I got cauliflower rice on sale! Will be making again! FIVEEEE STARSS Thank you for this recipe! The red chicken curry forms a flavorful broth that soaks into the rice beautifully. Season with salt and pepper. Let us know by leaving a comment and rating, and tagging a photo #minimalistbaker on Instagram! Also used dried cranberries in place of the dates. To the skillet with the remaining shallot, add a bit more oil (or water). It tasted amazing however it was like mush. The next best option is white or brown rice flour (although this makes the recipe not grain-free). Hmm, we think it might be too heavy of a flour. I used (affiliate link) basmati rice mixed with black rice here as it gives an aromatic flavor that pairs well with curry taste. Thanks, Erica! Simply, the onions/shallots need to be close to burnt (very dark brown almost black lol) Dont let this intimidate you because it provides a lot of deep and rich flavour to the dish. Got some leftover rice and cooked lentils or canned beans? Thanks for sharing, Candice! Also I love the crispy shallots but so much of it is lost when added in to the mixture? A lot of my fellow vegans stopped using your recipes after you added meat / dairy recipes… while I was surprised, I won’t be throwing the baby out with the bath water. Replace the lid, and continue to cook on medium-low for another 30-35 minutes until the chicken is done and the potatoes are fork tender. I added some green beans (to use them up) and the dates. Warm we, Potato and Leeks Stew with Sausage and Lentils, The Belated Guide to Thanksgiving!⁠ It’s made with way less oil (with options to make it completely oil-free!). Hmm, it shouldn’t! Note that whole lentils like brown and green lentils will hold their shape well. Check out this tutorial! This recipe is a winner and now in my regular rotation.