Learn Cake Decorating Online with My Cake School, Strawberry Cake~ (Doctored Cake Mix Recipe). Today, we decided to go with a fantastic Lemon Seven Minute Frosting. http://www.fromkarenskitchen.com/tips/party_cake_batter_amounts_baking_times_2inch_pan.php, http://www.fromkarenskitchen.com/tips/party_cake_batter_amounts_baking_times_3inch_pan.php. Make sure the simmering water does not touch the bottom of the top bowl, if it does the frosting could become grainy. If any yolk gets into the whites the recipe will not work. In small sauce pan add the 1/4 cup water and 3/4 cup sugar, set aside. It’s the perfect dessert recipe to make if you’re looking for a sweet treat to share with your family. Sift flours together and fold in carefully, alternating with sour cream. This cake is a spin off of my yummy Rustic Orange Vanilla Cake, with a few twists. Into a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Recipe Girl®© 2020 , All Rights Reserved. The lemon cake is baked to perfection in a Bundt cake pan. Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cake!~ Recipe! This was a great dessert for a smaller than usual Easter dinner. Return each slice to the wire rack to set, at least 4 hours. I am not a fan of lemon or any kind of zest. This will firm up the buttercream and make it less likely to smudge if lightly dinged. Don’t miss our full collection of favorite cake and frosting recipes in our Recipes Section! This was so good! On humid days, the frosting may take longer to whip up. I really appreciate you posting the ingredient weights. This recipe has 3 cups of flour, measure out 3 cups of all purpose flour, remove 6 Tablespoons and replace with 6 Tablespoons cornstarch, whisk to blend. (Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. Baking time was almost the same. Feb 26, 2020 - Ready for some rich, not-to-sweet, mildly lemony but very buttery cake with a lemon curd icing and a creme fraiche filling? Refrigerate for 30 minutes to an hour. We’ve made lots of delicious lemon recipes over the years! Snap a pic and hashtag it #RecipeGirl — We love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter! Your email address will not be published. I don’t think so- it’s lighter in texture. To assemble, run a sharp knife around the edges of the cake pan and invert the cake into a plate or your hand. Whisk until sugar is dissolved, 2 to 3 minutes. On low, mix in the flour mixture, sour cream and milk, alternating as needed. After that, it still tastes good but will begin to deflate and absorb into the cake. You had me at 1/4 cup lemon juice and 2 tbsp zest!!! Cannot wait to try it! RecipeGirl.com (shared from Piece of Cake cookbook). It I omit it from the recipe would I need to add more lemon juice? Set aside. You can use a square baking pan for this recipe as well. It would have been beautiful with some edible violets to garnish. Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. The icing was just SAD!! Your email address will not be published. Set aside. This is a "naked cake" so a crumb coat is all I did. We filled and frosted our three layer, 8 inch cake with the Lemon Seven Minute Frosting. Add powdered sugar and beat over high speed until smooth with no lumps. Mix on medium/high speed to smooth buttercream for about 2 minutes. Once the frosting is made, you’ll want to use it immediately to frost your three eight inch lemon cake layers. It’s a pourable type of frosting- should look just like the photos! The best way to find a good lemon is to pick it up and hold it in your hand. Continue beating at high speed for about 7 minutes, or until it's stiff and glossy. Add in the lemon zest and juice, keep mixing on medium speed. We’d love to hear what you think in the comments below! This Lemon Sour Cream Cake is a nice dessert to keep around for snacking, but it’s also a pretty dessert to serve for Easter or Mother’s Day or another special occasion day. You can find all of the details here: Learn Cake Decorating Online with My Cake School! The thick batter makes it ideal for add-ins like blueberries (as with our Lemon Blueberry Cake recipe)! Halved everything and made in a 9 inch round pan. Dust the pans with flour and tap out the excess. Use a double boiler or a stainless steel/heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water (it should be a snug fit). Beat on medium speed for 1 minute. https://www.thesugarcoatedcottage.com/meyer-lemon-sour-cream-cake Add the flour mixture and the sour cream mixture alternately, beginning and ending with flour mixture (3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 of wet). Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Then you’ll use your electric mixer to mix in eggs, sour cream, butter, lemon zest and lemon juice. I had to read the directions a couple of times as I thought there was a baking faux paus, add everything in a bowl and mix …gasp? This is an excellent cake to take to a shower or party. I have a plethora of lemons year round and am always looking for different recipies. After letting your cake cool off, you’ll make the lemon icing. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Add layer of buttercream, I used a piping bag. Don’t understand where I went wrong. Mix egg whites again on med/high until glossy, stiff peaks form and mixture has cooled. The method in today’s recipe is more traditional, and involves mixing the ingredients all at once over a double boiler (or makeshift double boiler). I think the sunshine is, Today is the day! If you haven’t voted, ther, If sushi is for summer time, this Easy Sushi Bake, Sometimes, you just need a dinner you can throw to, Election is just 3 weeks away. All ingredients and full instructions will be on the printable recipe. Keep leftovers stored in the refrigerator, since there is sour cream in the icing. All rights reserved | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy, « Sweet Bunny and Easter Eggs Cake Tutorial, Colorful Striped Chocolate Curls- Cake Tutorial ». This isn’t a difficult frosting to make, but these quick tips will ensure success! Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. If the lemon has a little “give” to it when you squeeze it (and isn’t rock hard), it will be easier to peel (a thinner skin) and it will yield more juice. For the complete recipe, be sure to scroll to the end of this post and print out the recipe. Copyright © 2020 My Cake School. Here are a few more lemon dessert recipes you might like to try: Lemon Brownies I love them both! That’s all you do to make the cake batter. I would just like to add that I had this for breakfast, I couldn’t wait till after dinner tonight!!! Preheat the oven to 325 F. Generously butter and flour a 10-inch Bundt cake pan. 1. Combine sugar, egg whites, in medium sauce pan. I had a hankering for lemon cake, which I haven’t had in forever, and stumbled on your site (was searching web to use up some soon-to-expire sour cream and lemons). Pour mixture into bowl of mixer fitted with whisk attachment. Baking time will be shorter, but I’m not sure by how much. Gingerbread Cake ~ A Doctored Cake Mix Recipe, click here to Subscribe without commenting. Exclusive TV sneak peeks, recipes and competitions, Episode guide | Cook like an Italian with Silvia Colloca, How to make cultured butter while you sleep, Great ways to turn turn versatile jackfruit into delicious dishes. Remove from oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Spoon into a greased and lined 20 cm springform cake tin. Enter your email below and receive a weekly update of new video tutorials, recipes and more. Bake in the preheated oven for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a cake tester or wooden pick inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean. In the bowl of your mixer, beat the softened butter until smooth. Preheat the oven to 350˚F (177˚C). Then gently coat each slice of lemon with sugar on both sides. Something is wrong with the icing recipe for the lemon sour cream cake.