Many thanks, Elena, Thanks for clarifying all of this Elena, and I am so pleased that the bread sounds as if it was a success too. If you are making normal yeasted bread, I do find that fresh yeast causes less of the ‘bloat’ than the rapid action dried stuff – I think there are some horrid additives in there to make it work faster. Buy my Book HERE. Pretzels and waffles don't need the yeast to rise much. Try our No-Knead Semolina Focaccia. Kneaded it in my Kitchenaid mixer because I was rather tired. I’m hoping that you can help me with a couple of queries… Do this for about 15 to 20 times - I find it is easier if I rotate the bowl at the same time. (I use my pantry which is about 14 degrees C). Karen, Thanks Karen, I love the scoring bit of the bake! If I want to make a smaller loaf, do I simply scale all the quantities down? Thanks so much. But not discouraged, I tipped over the smaller basket. And, we (Malcolm my husband and I) both find that we can digest sourdough bread better, and we don’t feel so “bloated” after eating it as we often do with normal yeast raised bread. The cold oven method has only ever been tried out when using a covered enamel or cast iron casserole dish. by @justinchapple and @foodandwine. Keep scrolling to find the full and printable recipe at the bottom of this post. Any ideas? We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Peter McCall says Or a sweet and savory herbal bread recipe? I start this at about 3pm to 4pm and the dough is ready at about 8pm to 9pm. The one thing I did was when I put the first loaf in the DO, I put the other in it’s banneton into the fridge. Karen, Can you tell me what you use to get these same seeds to adhere to the top of your bread before baking. Os the dough supposed to be quite dry and shaggy when you first mix it? With easy-to-follow steps, just four ingredients, and a useful conversion guide to fit your Dutch oven size, this no-knead Dutch oven bread recipe will be a new favorite — whether you're a seasoned baker or trying it for the first time. By @LoveAndLemons, The ultimate autumn bread boule. Is there a measurement of flour I could use ( like the water was in mls)? Add 60g of sourdough starter and set the tare to zero again; then add the salt and water, again, I find it easier to set the tare to zero before adding the flour. Can you recommend anything. About two thirds went into a towel lined oblong bread pan. BUT, you MUST work to a timetable that suits you and I am sure this will be fine! I think I’m going to go with proving in the pan in future, if I haven’t got access to a basket. This is the first time I have read this although my bread using your recipe is always good. Put the covered starter back in the fridge until it is needed next time you want to bake. Nothing beats the smell of fresh-baked bread. Hi Karen, I have now made a lovely Sourdough but the only thing is that the bottom crust is a little tough. Karen, Sour dough just been fed (I was back here to conult your method!) But my dough was quite sticky. Karen, Welcome to the world of sourdough baking – I can see it is very much in tune with your style of baking and your loaves look really beautiful. I’ve done it both ways, not sure there is a difference. Do this for about 15 to 20 times – I find it is easier if I rotate the bowl at the same time. Karen has lived and travelled all over the world and has brought some of her favourite recipes, experiences, and memories to share here with her readers. Hi Frances, cut back on the wholewheat flour, and feed and discard 2 to 3 times with extra strong white bread flour, and see how it is then. It took me a while to figure out the natural rhythm of the starter I made, I now know sort-of when and sort-of where this yeast is in its cycle. I have a starter (nameless) that just doesn’t give me the flavor I wish to have. x, Hi Frances, it may be that where you’re keeping it overnight is too warm – so try the fridge. That’s great news! Create delicious memories in the kitchen with your kids by making this easy one pan Banana Bread from Chef Ludo Lefebvre. NB: if you want a darker crust, take the lid off and bake for a further 5 to 10 minutes. But it still seems like Fall is the official kick-off of quick bread season. Brilliant – so pleased this has inspired you to make some sourdough again Clare! After turning it there were hard dry lumps on the bottom of the bowl. Bye for now, Karen, Traditional Sourdough Couronne Bordelaise, Cheese, Fennel and Sun-Dried Tomato Sourdough. Frances. It was refrigerated and did not look promising. Thank you. Thanks for your lovely comments about my new look, it’s to match the branding of my new book! Should I take it out and feed it the night before, or perhaps just take the starter out of the fridge the night before and allow to come to room temperature again before feeding in the morning? With plenty of rich chocolate and warm cinnamon flavor, this recipe is more like chocolate cake in loaf form. You'll end up with delicious bread that works as well for sandwiches as it does for snacking. Scored the floured surface quickly. Hope that helps? Thanks!! I've been baking with sourdough since 2010 or so. Croeso! Oh well, just have to make more. I tried the stand-up mixer, then I tried no-knead recipes. 2 to 3 hours before you want to start your sourdough bread, take the starter out of the fridge and feed it with 40g filtered water and 40g strong white bread flour. I am pretty sure this Lodge 7qt dutch oven will work just as well. Interestingly, as I have no proving baskets here (we’re still in Turkey at the minute) and I only have one enamel roasting pot and one basin the right size for the final prove, I decided to prove one of the loaves actually in the enamel pot itself (lined with baking paper) and then put it straight in the oven. Have you made Le Creuset's No-Knead Dutch Oven Bread yet? Failed miserably the last time I tried sourdough so have bought some of STAR and am going to try your method. I keep reading that you can make sourdough in a Le Creuset-type dutch oven, but I don’t have one (and don’t have room for anything else, even a very small mouse, in my cupboards) But I do have enamel roasters, so I am up and running. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising This all started when I sent some sourdough starter from my good friend Elaine, over at Foodbod Sourdough….Elaine very kindly sent me some of her starter to use and review, and eh voila, I was instantly hooked. Karen, can I ask one more thing. Karen, I love baking bread in my 26 & 30 cm Le Creuset Dutch oven. HOPE this all helps! It really does work, and some of my followers on Instagram shared photos, as I have I, of their baked bread using the cold oven method. Store it in the cooled cooking pot. Hi there – the mixture is dry and raggy after initial mixing and becomes smooth and elastic after an hour or so. Jennifer Garner says her mother's homemade skillet cornbread recipe is the perfect home-cooked comfort food, too! I’ve stated in the recipe to use a 30cm/12″ cast iron pot/Dutch oven with a lid, this gives the bread room to expand and rise. Yes you can, just be aware that is needs to be the much lighter weight. I have my first loaf started but just wanted to ask if you feed yours straight away or discard some? Tucked it under itself and placed it gently onto the parchment lined roasting pan. (Finally!) Hi Helen Karen. (NB. The Lodge is not insanely expensive and comes with a smarter knob from the get-go. my fridge is set at 5C). It came out a treat – I’ve had one or two problems in the past, getting the dough to dislodge from the bowl I’ve proved it in when I haven’t been able to use a basket, which has once or twice resulted in the loaves leaking some of their air. LOVE that your 9 year old is into the baking side of sourdough too! I will give it a go next time. 2. The fridge is just fine, you can always take it out about an hour or two before baking. Hoping to get some starter for the weekend and give it a go. We were staying for a couple of nights en route to our house, so I ended up having to choose the least-affected garments and had to chip off bits of dried up glue-like sourdough starter from them. One third went into a smaller , fabric lined 8″ basket. I have read various stories of terror as people heard a pop in their oven. Despite all that, it got out into my suitcase. Re the the soft dough, it could be a mix of things, being in too hot a place whilst proving, under proved and too much water. Let me know how you get on. Plus receive my FREE 47 page eBook featuring 9 full recipes from my book! I don’t like to be doing the final steps in the evening; I hope this works. Ad – Gifted: I was sent some sourdough starter to use but was not asked to write a favourable review about it. I used Elaine’s brilliant recipe for several weeks, but as each kitchen is different, as in temperature, your oven and the flour you may use, today’s recipe evolved by me making amendments here and there, until I now feel confident enough to share the recipe, which has been tested multiple times and with great success.