I think the French would be appalled at our American notion of “watered down coffee” served in a paper cup. Place back on the heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture is steaming and registers 160F (71 C) on a kitchen thermometer. Remove from the heat; cover and let steep … Required fields are marked *. Can you ever get tired of lavender? Will look for this farm on our next trip to Santa Fe. Stir in the lavender and heat over medium until the milk just starts to simmer. If New Mexico had a sister, she would be Provence. Using a fork, whisk together egg yolks and sugar in a medium-sized bowl until the volume doubles (becomes frothy) and the color becomes a light yellow.  Set aside. Heat until bubbles form around sides of pan. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the milk, cardamom pods and lavender. After flowers have steeped, strain the liquid and discard the flowers. One afternoon we stopped in at the Purple Adobe Lavender Farm which is only about a 30 minute drive from Santa Fe, and very near to Ghost Ranch, where Georgia O’Keeffe found the inspiration for her paintings. While we were there they were also serving the creamiest lavender gelato. Pour the mixture through a sieve or fine strainer into a bowl. What looks, to one just passing through, like desert – harsh and unforgiving – in fact, hides a treasure trove of secrets found only if you take the time to explore the region a little more deeply. I cut several bundles, which are drying in the closet under our stairs. Place over medium heat and bring the mixture almost to the boiling point, then remove from the heat … And great timing as we’re headed to Provence next week to see the lavender. It’s not, at first, apparent, but is perceptible as something of an electric hum. These photos make me feel like I’m there. ( Log Out /  4 egg yolks (brought to room temperature) Refrigerate for several hours or overnight. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the milk, cardamom pods and lavender. Sounds incredible! The mixture needs to be very cool before churning. Now I just need to head out to the electronics store and find an ice cream maker! While in Paris, I pretty much walked every single neighborhood from my little B&B off of Boulevard de Grenelle to the Louvre to Latin Quarter. Cook the half-and-half and cream on medium heat until warm, do not let it come to a boil. So perfect on such a hot day. The open-air markets. Driving home with all that lavender in the car had me craving the lavender gelato again, and I set about to create a similar recipe as soon as I got back to the kitchen. 2 cups whole milk I’m not a big cooking enthusiast but this recipe actually looks simple and delicious enough I’d consider giving it a try! Your email address will not be published. 31 Slow Cooker Dip Recipes You Can Make in Your Crock-Pot, Martina McBride Shared Her Recipe for Kansas Creamy Mashed Potatoes, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents, 2 medium peaches, peeled and finely chopped. ( Log Out /  And as it was mid-afternoon, we decided to take refuge in the tea house on the edge of one of the fields. Cover and chill the gelato mixture for a minimum of four hours or let it set … Add to the liquid the honey and heat on medium low until honey has dissolved. Heat until bubbles form around sides of pan. The lavender and cardamon smell stong will cooking but mellow out once frozen taste great! 1 tablespoon vanilla extract. gelato - ice cream recipe A delicious unordinary gelato recipe with a creamy texture and the aroma of summer lavender fields. Meanwhile, in a heat-safe bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until light and smooth. Cook until bubbles form around sides of pan. We go almost every year. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. This will remove any solid pieces of egg or lavender buds and create a more smooth even texture. This sophisticated herbal gelato can be served as an appetizer, a palate-pleaser between courses or a dessert that tastes like heaven on a spoon. In American ice cream, there’s at least twice as much cream as milk. Split vanilla bean and scrape seeds; add bean and seeds to milk mixture. Meanwhile, in a heat-safe bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until light and smooth. Your email address will not be published. And then there were the macaroons.  Those delectable melt-in-your-mouth petite French cookies.  I might have to try to make them at home next. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the egg yolks. I hope you can make it to Santa Fe soon. As an Amazon Associate I may earn from qualifying purchases. Here they grow 15 different varieties of lavender and have a dedicated field for culinary lavender, grown strictly to be used in the kitchen. Allow to cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for several hours or over night. Churn the gelato in an ice cream maker for 20 minutes, according to the manufacturer’s directions. Pour the milk and egg mixture back into the pot. Pour the milk back into the sauce pan and stir in the cream.