Push your butt back like you’re sitting in a chair and descend until your elbows reach the inside of your knees (b). That makes this an ‘anti-rotation’ movement, forcing you to engage your entire core: obliques, abs, lower back, glutes and more. We want to minimize this upper body movement since the lateral bound is a leg strengthing exercise and not a total body exercise. Lie on your right side with your right elbow propped beneath your shoulder and your right hand resting on the ground. Every exercise in your strength program has a purpose — to help you build strength and muscle, burn fat and improve your fitness. He explains that as a lifter transfers force from the floor up, a laterally stable athlete won’t lose as much force through the transfer of energy through the hips, up the trunk, and into the arms as they catch overhead. Click Here and use Coupon Code 10$off to Save! They're lateral movement weaklings (and I've personally been guilty at one time of being included among that population). According to Campbell, the Paloff press will build great usable strength while adding athletic definition through the mid-section. Push up with your right foot and return to the starting position. Try these 5 exercises to begin implementing side-to-side motion in your program. The lateral squat is stationary. Learn how your comment data is processed. This is why we include power exercises after the strength training phase. But how do you actually do them? May I ask, please, if you could post a step-by-step of the lateral step with reverse fly? Hip realignment. Then, switch directions, heading back to the left. While you may not be hoisting heavy weight, the real challenge lies in resisting rotation. But as golfers, we want to add quickness to our exercises. Please note: Comments are moderated and may not appear immediately after submission. This article builds on my article 3 Lateral Exercises that Will Give You a More Powerful Swing. Here are six side-to-side exercises to add to your routine. When the athlete springs back, he will unwind his shoulder and upper body and use it as momentum during the lateral bound. The main muscles being used are the lats, traps and rhomboids, which reinforce good posture by pulling your shoulders back. It takes some effort, but when you can get a player, especially a bigger guy, to hit the box/ground/box/ground without almost any delay, you’ve developed a guy who can move laterally with the best of them. Grab the handle with both hands and pull it in towards your chest, maintaining tension on the cable or band (a). A New Study Finds Out, 5 Big Reasons to Improve Your Cardio Fitness Score, 14 Fitbit App Hacks That Will Take Your Experience to the Next Level. Continue to engage your core, and ensure you remain square to resist the rotational force. These are similar to lateral lunges, but you step on a 45-degree angle forward. 11/7-11/13. Lower yourself into a pushup position, with your hands directly underneath your shoulders, and your chin tucked toward your chest. Continue to add weight to each lift once you can complete two more reps than prescribed with your training weight. The knee should be in line with the shin and thigh, so it doesn’t dive inward on you, and make a conscious effort to keep the hips parallel to the shoulders. The shoulders down to the knees should be in line, with the knees bent at 90 degrees. They cause terrible soreness, especially if you’ve been neglecting those muscles. The shoulder-elevated and foot-elevated position increases the movement's range of motion, leading to greater hamstring activation and strength throughout a larger ROM. Your email address will not be published. Making the poor movement pattern stronger. Lateral Step With Reverse Fly: I used their videos to get my points across for my version of lateral bounding. There are 10 progressions to … So what's the solution? “The more stable you are laterally, the more efficient you are, and the more you can prevent force leakage.”. They push, pull, and press, but they don’t move side-to-side and they don’t learn to create lateral stability. “That way, when you go to catch a weight overhead, you’re catching in a good strong position, and your ability to control that load is gonna be a lot better.”. It might seem a little basic, but this classic oblique exercise can be seriously difficult when holding a weight overhead or resting one on the side of the torso. You can see that when he lands on his left leg, his body is at the same angle as his leg, and his shoulders and hips are parallel. For more on the correct way to develop a golf fitness program, download my free guide, 11 Steps to a Successful Golf Fitness Program. Pilates and yoga utilize a type of lateral training in passive and controlled ways. We see plenty of front to back, and up and down, motions like lunges, squats, push-ups and pull-ups, but oddly we don't see many lateral movements. Not only does it challenge your legs, traps, and shoulders, it trains the obliques and deep back and abdominal muscles as you try not to keel over. This is a supplemental exercise so stick with 3–4 sets of 8–12 reps. Within a few weeks you’ll have these exercises mastered and be on your way to having a body that better serves you! Stack your left heel on top of your right heel and lift your hips off the floor. I mistyped my email. For complete strength and injury prevention, you need more than squats, deadlifts, and lunges. This is a supplemental exercise so stick with 3–4 sets of 8–12 reps. How to: Grab a dumbbell (20 pounds is plenty for most to start) and find a bench. Hold the position at the top, glutes, core and hamstrings engaged (b). This takes split seconds I know, but those milliseconds can ruin the timing of your golf swing.