Ellie explains this in tears to Joel in the middle of the game, asking him not to leave her. So why are people acting like baby back bitches over this? Or take for instance the winter chapter; it doesn't explain why you're suddenly in control of Ellie, you just play her determination. Why would anyone NOT spend every hour of everyday as if it were their last doing what or who ever the FUCK makes them happy? One of the major elements of Joel's death that fans don't seem to like is the vulnerable position he and Tommy find themselves in. The PS store is filled with shit asset flips, and whilst I don't know about the Nintendo Store nowadays, in 3DS times it also had some problems. LOU2 looks like it is an amazing game and I’m excited to play it. The most fun I had playing this game was when Joel was with me since he's such a well-developed character. The Last of Us Part 2 depicts the future, yet it fails to escape its own past.. People gave the first game, its DLC and the remaster high scores.Clearly they didn't have an issue with Ellie being gay and this is just a poor attempt at deflecting from any valid criticism on #TLOU2. Do not read further if you plan on playing the game after this. With the Ocarina of Time gladly sitting as his favorite game of all time, Anthony is a sucker for any game that has players wielding a fabled sword, but can still appreciate everything from a solid sports title to a game with a deep multiplayer experience. Unfortunately, the game opened to mixed reviews and now, many from the fan base have expressed their displeasure with the game’s storyline. Is there a game with a more beautifully animated horse in all of gaming? It’s about learning to not just survive, but live in a world decimated by plague and chaos. However, games which put the story first are more like interactive experiences -- that use game elements to facilitate immersion -- then true games. The Last of Us Part 2 is being applauded for its gameplay and visuals. There was no doubt that Naughty Dog knew that Joel's death would be controversial, but the studio might not have realized just how poorly it would go over with some fans. Theses games should be judged on the game play that they create. These games focus on game play first, and that is what their players are there for. The Last of Us was a great narrative based game because its play served the story about as well as I've ever seen done. It's the little things, sometimes, that can break immersion, and TLOU was good at keeping it, from what I saw. Think of the sewers, where we see survivors from an abandoned suburb try to live in a place where no one will find them. The same argument can be made for any other platform. That's a very powerful arc, and besides the ambiguous ending, the story is analyzed by gamers who want to understand why this arc was so effective in the same way we usually analyze mechanics to understand why a game is fun. It's considered interfering with their content and can also lead to brigading. TLOU is definitely a disempowerment fantasy, and gameplay hinges a lot more on your decisions and ways of tackling a situation than a regular survival horror/action game. I was thinking the same thing. Without getting into a debate over whether or not the criticisms are correct, there are a few key points that have frustrated Last of Us fans and are why the game is getting so much hate. To clarify, Abby causes Ellie a lot of pain but in the end, she spares her life. [Warning! Fuck trying to make anyone but a straight white man feel included in a game right. Having players control a character that they are supposed to hate and who they have been tracking down to kill is a bold choice by Naughty Dog and for some it simply doesn't work. save hide report. For starters, it's one of the few games with a great story where the action generally chooses to serve immersion in the narrative rather than simply leaving the player free to live out their power fantasies. Seeing her make out with the girl didn't surprise me. Also, do not "lol, you should post this on r / OtherSub". It's a gritty game and it gets straight to the point; and it aims for the heart. Uj/ This was actually a funny joke until it got to TLOU bit, like replace that with steam's mountain of shovelware and it would be . By eventually combining his love of video games with his skills in film, Anthony hopes to bring some unique content to Game Rant in the future. Is intimately kissing your friend's girlfriend/boyfriend in front of him or her a nice thing? haven't played either game but I cannot see why people hate it so much, looks good to me. Spice it up with an emotional story and strong message that can manage a tear out of us and most won't even notice the shortcomings. Because the Last of Us is and always will be a goddamn masterpiece in terms of story and music and graphics and gameplay. The Last of Us isn't a bad game, its just and orange and you only like apples. Fans considered the ending to be illogical and unjustified. Thanks! Good gameplay and exploration, story is very messy though. 3 months ago. A game is only good as the sum of its parts. It’s not just about killing and evading infected fungus zombies and crazed humans, it’s about LIVING IN THE NOW. Last of us 2 bad. The action-adventure title is more of a survival thriller with an array of weapons and stealth moments to defend yourself against the mutated enemies. Though, what I can say is that the graphics are A+ and the starting scene is amazing; it really sets the tone of horror and absolute dread from seeing someone you love die in your arms and it gives you the impression that this game isn't going to beat around the bush. Abby is saved by Yara and Lev and she eventually takes Lev as a companion throughout parts of the game. The site may not work properly if you don't, If you do not update your browser, we suggest you visit, Press J to jump to the feed. And why would anyone ignore a work of art is beyond me. The below post contains SPOILERS for The Last of Us Part 2]. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. I never assumed she might be gay until the dlc, and frankly, it doesn't effect how I feel about the character in the slightest. On top of that, you say you find the gameplay bland, play it again. You indicated a strong preference for pure games over interactive experiences, and that is going to color your feelings towards any game that isn't focused on gameplay first. ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING. By the end of the game, everything changes. Characters don't work out. I actually wrote twice this much before deleting the whole thing going into specifics before deciding to try something shorter and more broad (that worked...). But this game is objectively gorgeous, objectively technically stunning, and a shit load of people are enjoying it. You have made it very clear that you are utterly focused on game play when judging the quality of a game. Shit story, good gameplay/graphics/exploration basically. One of big reasons why this game is so good, because it strikes a particular balance between all its elements. Now that The Last of Us Part 2 is available on PS4, the criticisms surrounding the game have only grown. They expose themselves by saying stuff like this. They killed their best character in the first hour and there weren't any good characters that were actually intriguing like Joel's. GHR, GHR, GHR SICK OF THIS CRAP! I got stuck in Winter, pissed off, called this pile of garbage overrated. She is so scared of ending up alone. This is huge, because that final line, that final "OK" is the end of her arc. It made Red Dead Redemption look like an SNES game. Review bombs of Last of Us Part 2 on Metacritic have plummeted the score to around 3/10 and it seems the fervent detractors are only getting started.