Be sure to cut your onion finely to ensure your kebabs stay on their skewers.

Heat over high until bubbling but not smoking. Place meat on the end of the foil, then roll it up, tightly wrapping it in the foil. Pour over any excess marinade and let stand for 10 mins. Season with black pepper, then add the marinade, and toss to coat. See note in post on authenticity and reason for inclusion (re: Doner kebabs mainly from Muslim countries and pork is not consumed for religious reasons).

Excellent food for gatherings - make ahead, wow factor, DIY wraps and economical. Drizzle with sauce(s) of choice. Required fields are marked *. Supermarket meat typically discloses fat % nowadays (look at the nutrition table), and butchers should know the fat % of their meat. Our 22 Best Crock Pot and Slow-Cooker Recipes. Also whether it’s layered (like in Chicken Doner Kebab) or smooth meat style (which is what I’m sharing today) also varies depending where you are. Remove skewers then stand the meat upright. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, rotating once, until browned all over. Remove foil from log but leave skewers in place. © Copyright 2020 Meredith Corporation. Bacon* is the surprise secret ingredient for this homemade version – more on this below! Subscription offer: save 44% and receive a brand-new cookbook, Spring lamb skewers with lightly pickled allotment salad, Spicy lamb & feta skewers with Greek brown rice salad, Spiced lamb kebabs with pea & herb couscous, Lamb & potato kebabs with minty broad beans, Spiced lamb skewers with pomegranate tzatziki, Mary’s chilli lamb skewers with minted yogurt cooler, Spiced lamb koftas with mint & tomato salad. Lamb kebab recipes Minty lamb kebabs. Lay the skewers on a baking tray and roast in the hot oven for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until charred, sticky and cooked through, turning occasionally. It’s the same special finishing touch we do with Mexican Carnitas! Food & Wine is part of the Meredith Corporation Allrecipes Food Group. I acknowledge 100% that this is a non-traditional addition you would obviously NEVER find in a Muslim country (because Muslims do not eat pork for religious reasons). Thanks for another great recipe. Preheat oven to 170°C/ 325°F (150°C fan). Peel and bash the garlic with a generous pinch of sea salt in a pestle and mortar, then add the dried oregano and enough olive oil to loosen the mixture. The salsa verde sounds posh, but couldn't be simpler to make. I’ve had to make do with a boring old oven to cook this. The log is cooked at this point. Mix together Yoghurt Sauce ingredients and place in the refrigerator to allow the flavours to develop. And here’s a close up of the Doner Kebab Meat being pan fried. Flip and cook until browned, about 2 minutes. It’s almost like a barbecue sauce – one that will take your lamb … Mix the mint through the salad and serve immediately with the kebabs. This Lamb Kebabs, Bbq Glazed with Tzatziki Sauce recipe is quick and easy to prepare. Combine the yogurt, olive oil, lemon zest and juice, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a large, non-reactive bowl. Mix beef or lamb with all the Spices - mix well using your hands.

Keep an eye on them – rotate the tray so that all the kebabs get a turn of being close to the fire and pull them back a little if the bread starts to burn. It’s added for the extra fat, because home cooks cannot get meat fatty enough to get the desired result. The flavours were fantastic, tasted very authentic and it was loved by all (even my fussy son)! Lamb Shish Kebab is a Turkish recipe comprising skewered pieces of lamb alternating with vegetables. Pour half into a jug and set aside for later. Mix all of the ingredients together by hand for the kebabs. Working in 3 batches, add 2 teaspoons ghee to a large nonstick skillet. You'll be surprised to find out the glaze contains apricot jam! The reason it is included is to make this recipe accessible for home cooks. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. That’s awesome Katherine, thanks so much! Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. This homemade version of rotisserie Doner Kebab Meat can be made with either lamb or beef. From doner kebabs to minty Greek-style koftas, we've got plenty of inspiration, Pair charred, juicy lamb on skewers with the freshness and bite of crunchy garden vegetables in a pickled dressing. While beef is a firm favourite here in Australia, in Turkey (the home of Doner Kebabs) they are made with both lamb and beef. Beef is most common in Australia, both are popular in Turkey. I believe you can make great food with everyday ingredients even if you’re short on time and cost conscious. Press lamb mixture together, sealing filling inside, and shape into a ball. Excellent large format food for gatherings – make ahead and economical! Place 1 heaping teaspoon onion mixture in center of each patty. I’m yet to meet a Doner Kebab/Gyros or Shawarma that I haven’t loved! Shape lamb mixture into 16 (3-inch-wide) patties (about 3 tablespoons each). Wet hands with water, then shape into an even block 20cm/8" long. Tag me on Instagram at. Place 2 x 60cm / 2 feet long pieces of foil overlapping each other by 1/3. SO MUCH FAT! Fire up your wood-fired oven an hour or so before you’re ready to cook (you can easily adapt this recipe for a barbecue or regular oven – use your instincts). Gyros is Greek. Top with lettuce, tomato, and onion. (Note 9). “These lamb kebabs are so easy and quick to make – perfect for outdoor cooking. We’ve assembled a list of 50 of the world’s most reliable, inexpensive wines – bottles that offer amazing quality for their price year in and year out. This Lamb Kebabs, Bbq Glazed with Tzatziki Sauce recipe is quick and easy to prepare. In America, it’s the other way round – Gyros is the common version. Made with Lebanese bread or other thin flatbreads, smeared with hummus, topped with Doner Kebab Meat, lettuce, tomato, onion and sauces such as yogurt, garlic and chilli sauce. Serve your homemade doner kebab with pitta bread and shredded cabbage, Kofta-style kebabs with feta, harissa and onion, served with a wholesome basmati rice flavoured with parsley and mint, Jazz up lamb with Moroccan spices for a special after-work supper - it's low-fat too, A take on the highly-spiced North African lamb sausages, these skewers are served with aromatic cumin yogurt, With these quick, easy and cheap koftas, there's no excuse for hitting the kebab van, Team these tangy kebabs with a tossed salad and enjoy a spicy supper, These peppery paprika lamb skewers are barbecue friendly. As for what animal meat it is, it varies. Your house is going to smell like a kebab shop! Lamb is marinated in a flavourful blend of olive oil, sherry vinegar, garlic and herbs, then threaded onto rosemary sprigs instead of the usual bamboo skewers.
Use immediately for Doner Kebabs!

N x. I have made my own version for a while now with lamb, but was always dissapointed with the dryness of the meat. Subscribe to my newsletter and follow along on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates. Cover and refrigerate 2 hours minimum, or up to 24 hours. Place patties on a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and chill at least 30 minutes or up to 1 day. Who knew?! No more travelling for a donor takeaway. Cook until fragrant, about 20 seconds; transfer mixture to a food processor. Place onion, bacon and garlic in a 8 cup/2L+ food processor. Join my free email list to receive THREE free cookbooks! Stop making muslim people always appear so hateful.

Hi Ingrid, I’m unsure what you mean here – you’re cooking for 1 and a 1/2 hours as per the written recipe (just as the video states 1.5 hours), then removing the foil and cooking a further 10-15 minutes.
Mix the lemon juice, olive oil and garlic in a mixing bowl. Add cooked lamb mixture and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt; process until texture is mostly smooth, about 2 minutes, stopping to stir and scrape down sides as needed. (Alternatively, freeze patties on a baking sheet. Turn steam release handle to “Sealing” position. While there are of course some differences in the finished dish (type of flatbread, sauces used) and the seasonings used for the meat, they are similar in spirit! But I am a bit worried about cooking with foil…, Hi Marly, you could wrap in paper and then in foil – but you do need the foil to seal it and help it keep its shape.