I knew that poitrine fume would be perfect for the bacon but wasn’t sure how to make the blue cheese dressing so you can imagine how glad I was to see your post today! Iceberg’s got great crunch, though. You almost make it look highbrow. Merci. If you can’t get buttermilk, mix one part milk (whole or lowfat) with one part plain yogurt (regular or lowfat) to approximate the taste. I love that salad so much! People will often justify their disdain of Iceberg lettuce on nutritional claims, but in reality, leafy green salads in general doesn’t carry that many nutrients. Perfect. Is there a substitution for sour cream too? That has to say something for their recipe, right? this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. I bought this beautiful poitrine fumé (smoked bacon) when I was in the Jura and was happy to slice it into lardons and fry the rectangles in a skillet until they were very well done, just on the edge of burnt. Traditionally, the […], Your email address will not be published. DebbieN: Well, if you think about it, it is a bit unusual to pour thick dressing over lettuce leaves. I like chunks of cheese in the dressing but if you want it smooth, feel free to run it through the blender or food processor. I was not much of a salad lover in those days anyway because I thought iceburg was just like eating crunchy water. One of the things I do every time i am in the US is go to a good steakhouse….and I always start the meal with a Wedge salad :). Combine the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, pepper, salt and half of the bleu https://www.food.com/recipe/blue-bleu-cheese-dressing-for-dummies-41672 Didn’t think it was possible to dislike something that had bleu cheese in it, but this dressing was despicable. Nice. Don’t be scared of the Blue Cheese. He was almost right. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. You can add a bit of buttermilk if you like it runnier. I am excited abt this recipe… I LOVE iceberg lettuce and silly me, while I often enjoy wedges of it when I am not in the mood to prepare a whole salad for dinner, I have never enjoyed it wedged WITH DRESSING! Thank you for this recipe! A friend and colleague of mine used to work for the Iceberg Lettuce Commission and found it a challenge to promote the product. Nobody like chunky bites of onion in a sauce and onion powder doesn’t have enough flavor. I didn’t go to my first restaurant until I was in my teens with friends. Well balanced with easy to follow instructions. I made hot wings this weekend at my kids’ request, and whipped up a bowl of bleu cheese dressing/dipping sauce to go with them (my request). I ‘came out’ confessing my love for iceberg recently. Just not much flavour or nutrition (as you brought up in your post). Do this gradually until you get the "correct amount". I don’t know what possessed me the other day, but there I was, and there it was—I was faced with a big mound of Iceberg lettuce heads at the market, two for one euro, so I bought two of them. Made as is it is very thick which I like as a salad dressing but it is also perfect as a dip for veggies, pretzels etc. Add the mayonnaise and whisk together well. For an easy supper that you can depend on, we picked out some of our tried-and-true favorites that have gotten us through even the busiest of days. I like a wedge of iceberg with blue cheese now and then, but if I bought two heads we’d be eating it for days on end and I’d be tired of it before I finished it. Like crunchy water (hence then name, mayhaps). I’m serving it in Norway tonight with cod fish sticks and garlic mashed potatoes. Required fields are marked *. JA: I’ve never found or thought of Iceberg lettuce as bitter, but it did fall out of favor when things like microgreens and mesclun (mixed baby greens) started becoming more widely available. Think about it; if you steam a plate of those fancy mixed greens, after you get rid of the water and they’re cooked down, it equals about one tablespoon of vegetables. Also I don’t see that anyone so far has mentioned just letting the dressing sit for a while–say an hour or so (covered, in a fridge) before serving. thanks. The best parts of a meal there for me were there tempura-like onion rings and the iceberg lettuce wedge salad with lashings of blue-cheese dressing and the wonderful extra addition of thin garlic slices confit. Finally! MyRecipes is a registered trademark of Meredith Corporation All Rights Reserved. We use cookies on our website to give you the most relevant experience by remembering your preferences and repeat visits. I will try your recipe, though, because I have learned to love blue (bleu?) I am not sure about iceberg wedge (am not a fan of iceberg, wedge or not), but I have tried this dressing on a few things already (broccolini, shredded carrots, unidentifiable lettuce, and just plain by itself)and I really like it. Today, my tastes have not changed, bring on the blue cheese…. That’s like cutting an apple in half and calling it fruit salad). Or perhaps not :). Jill: The heads weren’t “American-sized” so two wasn’t too much. I first ate this salad at the Buckeye Roadhouse in Marin County – love at first bite.