endobj This is usually a brand-new graduate from an Air Force technical school, usually in the rank of Amn (E-1) through A1C (E-3). And also that the Airforce conditions are overall just way better and you're treated with more respect. Copyright © 2008–2020, Glassdoor, Inc. "Glassdoor" and logo are registered trademarks of Glassdoor, Inc. { "isFollowing": false, "isEEPActive": false, "isEiHeaderFollowBtnDos2Enabled": false }, Current Employee - Security Forces Manager, Current Employee - Cyber Security Analyst. <> Oh joy! Both branches have their positives. I love Monterey (from Ca) so I like the idea of being based there as a Linguist in either branch for Language school. %PDF-1.5 Ok, first you have to make it through basic training. I have been working at US Air Force full-time for more than 10 years, can be stationed in-country; high ops tempo; language refreshers in-country every 1-2 years, not always utilized for your strengths/expertise, Job Security, opportunities for growth and travel, Long hours, times away from family, shift work, I have been working at US Air Force full-time, Challenging, Training, Duty, Purpose, and experience, Workload, pay, micromanagement, toxic leadership, and loss of connection from enlisted to officer. I served my mission in Sendai, Japan and then returned home to Idaho and married my wife Lauri. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. I've been stationed in Korea for 12 of the last 22 years. endobj Your response will be removed from the review – this cannot be undone. stream Once you have completed that, there are two routes you can go- The normal route is to go to the Defense Language Institute in Monterey California. Recommends. 2 0 obj Examples of languages learned by Air Force linguists include Spanish, Farsi, Russian, Japanese, English, Chinese, and Korean. <>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageB/ImageC/ImageI] >>/MediaBox[ 0 0 612 792] /Contents 4 0 R/Group<>/Tabs/S/StructParents 0>> I love Monterey (from Ca) so I like the idea of being based there as a Linguist in either branch for Language school. ?csכ����[9[����S�'W��0��M|k)�C�X�~�o3�a:~liN9�yГ�yC��L}��7�+�!Cy5�l ��o;� �-p����zM��߹Ǭ���1�e,����������uc��O��ח/�i�� �bϲ$G��5;ᎀ�q��j��1�+i�����`a:7��� �6�i4���7�N�+-������Xw�`{>��n#�:�Qr����c�)9Yk���nӰ83��`�?,bҬ�`��mP�m=[�F�`���M�Mi��ܛ���}~E���sV�j���z�u��*�Yi@32)g���Z�r�"����2ɦ��дL'�D�դ�5��be� �ؓ�d1;�i��y�;>�~�-�=�'�� ?�gB*�HǕgȲ�}����`���l�C�����zD�1L;���3H��7#�t��UJ�I��ނ>u��c�Y��kJ��J�:T>TdX�������;��OSO8Ʒ%��x+5���r�d�+��[�PI+}���3�4�*go�5��V���]�4��@�ָ+�G+r�`�3'� ��B��=�V�s�$�"MR�7���H���#���u�tdN�Ջ���. An Air Force linguist is typically required to hold a variety of security clearances that show the linguist can be trusted with confidential information. First of all being a linguist is an intelligence job, so you would get a clearance along with learning a foreign language. IMO - you're more likely to stay in if you are USAF linguist. If you're interested in this job, the most important skill you need to have is documented foreign language proficiency in a language designated by the Air Force. I was then assigned to Osan Air Base and arrived in Korea in 1984. I realize that Pysops and Civil Affairs are positions that may not be available at entry level. OSAN AIR BASE, Republic of korea -- Founded November 22, 1950, the 303rd Intelligence Squadron, located at Osan Air Base, is one of the most historic units in the U.S. Air Force. Glassdoor will not work properly unless browser cookie support is enabled. Learn how to enable cookies. I am also from California and my time at DLI was amazing, I got to go back home almost every weekend and live it up with my civilian friends. What I really want is a guarantee that I will get extensive training in a language and do some cool stuff. I asked him this question and he said “forget about the linguist part, I don’t know anyone in the army who doesn’t wish they joined the Air Force instead.”. 4 0 obj It sounds the most interesting and applicable for what I want to do after the military, which is Foreign Service or working for international NGOs. endobj What's more, Airborne Linguists enjoy another level of comfort and monies. <> I'm a Korean linguist for the U.S. Air Force. Cookies help us deliver our Services. A "3" in the "Skill Level" column indicates authorized positions for "3" skill-level trainees. Positive Outlook. I don’t know how the army rules were exactly but I know they are... more strict™, New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. I've read Linguist is a better position in the Air Force because you use it more and do cooler stuff apparently. Linguists in the Air Force are undermanned, so you will be busy, but if you decide to get out in four to six years you would have a language skill and a clearance. I joined the Air Force in 1982 and was sent to the Defense Language Institute in Monterey California to learn Korean. I appreciate the insight and guidance. The 303rd IS, commonly known as Skivvy Nine, has been on the Korean Peninsula providing timely cryptologic support since the Korean War. The largest military subreddit on reddit.