Charge your keg with CO2 as usual. Was there a little plug in the gas in port on your tap that you didn't remove? Wonder if there is thread tape over the gas out port on your regulator, only letting a very small amount through??? Home Bar Dispensing - Kegerator & Party Events (Residential), http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...-cid-2297.html, http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...pid-842-2.html, If this is your first visit, be sure to However, when I pour about a 1/2 pint of foamy beer, the PSI of the system drops … First, turn the shut off at the regulator to off position and then turn the cylinder wheel off. Costs about $10 I think. This was EXACTLY my symptom - high guage 0, low guage 12 with CO2 tank turned off. Blocked or kinked line? The gauge that says the pressure of the CO2 tank decreases (high pressure guage) when I shut off the main valve. Homebrew Finds makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, or omissions in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. I’m not suggesting this as a replacement for the Star San spray method. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Testing at this point using the spray bottle method is impossible (or at the very least difficult and messy). Originally, I went thru 1 5# CO2 tank in 1.5 half barrels so I ordered a new double gauge regulator thinking that was the source. I have never tried this test before. Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Bulk Keg Orings and Keg Repair Part Numbers, Ball Lock QD Adjustable Pressure Valve W/Gauge. Over-pressurizing can mask leaks that may otherwise show themselves. I have lost a couple full tanks of CO2 to a bad gas post o-ring. This technique tests the entire keg including the gas post, o-ring, QD and any tubing that’s connected. You can also buy a simple gauge [See: Ball Lock QD Adjustable Pressure Valve W/Gauge via MoreBeer] or make a gauge assembly for this purpose. I mark the current pressure with a wax pencil, or you can just remember what it reads. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The pressure gauge method can check the entire keg including gas QD connection and any connected tubing without soaking everything and the resulting clean up. There could be a number of possible answers. Then you’ve got a liquid leak. So I bought a new reg from MM and all is well. That one’s really easy to spot. Disconnect the gas line from the keg and see if it flows readily out of that, then you will know if it is your tap or your line/regulator, then if it the line/regulator, remove the regulator and crack the valve open to see if you get a burst of CO2 out of the tank, then you know if it is an empty bottle or a faulty regulator. But I'm going to fix that leak on the other one yet. To use Homebrew Finds you must be 21 years or older. All times are GMT-8. What you don’t want is a quick drop in pressure. All data and information provided on this site is for informational purposes only. Another option if you don’t have a spunding valve or other gauge (but do have a two gauge regulator) is to attach only one keg to your regulator and turn off the the CO2 tank. I don’t know if these are micro leaks or temperature related, but I’m not really concerned with that, I am looking for a relatively quick drop in pressure. Copyright © 2006-2018 Micro Matic , Inc. All Rights Reserved. I recently hooked up a 'new' CO2 tank, that way I have 2, 1 filled, one in-use. I have a stainless steel haier kegerator with a 5 pound CO2 tank, and 1 or 2 sixth-barrel kegs. Is there six inches of beer in your kegerator? Part of Our Homebrew Tips and Tricks Series. Try to isolate where it may reside. This article has several incorrect statements. Can you disconnect the gas line from your regulator to see if there is gas coming out of the regulator? Install a high pressure gauge so that you can determine how much gas you have in the cylinder. Stated more simply, you need a QD on to see if it’s leaking, but you can’t see it if a QD is on. The keg should keep its pressure. This is one of the many uses of a Spunding Valve – See: Build a Spunding Valve. So I got a high pressure gauge from micromatic, per the suggestion, installation was about 15 seconds~. For one the high pressure guage does not measure the CO2 in the tank at all. Spray all the fittings down with a soapy water solution and look for bubbles. If the CO2 gauge method indicates a leak, you can start spraying with Star San to hunt it down. At a given temp, it will be the same exact reading whether it is completely full or ptactically empty as long as liquid is preaent. You're saying the output pressure of the regulator decreases? The problem is, you can’t easily see that spot when a QD on. Remove the CO2 line and replace with a pressure gauge or Spunding Valve – with the adjustable PRV set to a very high pressure so that not gas escapes. For kegerator CO2 leaks, it’s a generally a little more work, but still pretty easy… spray everything with Star San [via Amazon] solution (diluted of course) and look for bubbles. If the pointer drops, your leak is right at the regulator. I would much rather be safe that sorry when it comes to the time, cost and inconvenience of replacing an empty CO2 tank. Borrow one or buy one and see if it fixes it. A problem spot. Can you get a crescent wrench on that and take it off, turning your gas off first, then when it is off, turn your gas back on to see if it flows well? Use your usual serving pressure. Enter what I call the “pressure gauge method”. There is one place on the CO2 side that the soak-everything-with-Star-San method doesn’t really work…. If it drops quickly, there is a leak someplace in the system. This allows you to use the low pressure gauge to monitor the keg. Other posts say when this decreases when shut off there is a leak. Took it apart, cleaned it up, new teflon pipe dope rated to 3000 psi and it leak checked good at 700 psi from my 5 lb bottle (sat 3 days and no leak) Filled up the 20 lb bottle and reconnected and it leaked again from the same place!!! If it drops quickly, there is a leak someplace in the system. Wonder if there is thread tape over the gas out port on your regulator, only letting a very small amount through??? If beer is shooting out like a geyser, you’ve got a… fast leak. I’m quick to replace o-rings, especially on the gas side. If the high side still leaks down and the low is ok than it sounds like a high pressure leak. As soon as the liquid CO2 is gone, it drops into the red. Shut off the low pressure side going to the keg too. If your high pressure gauge pointer moves after turning the cylinder wheel off, you have a leak. I'm in south jersey. Copyright © 2006-2018 Micro Matic , Inc. All Rights Reserved. It measures pressure, that is all. It wouldn't hurt to have spare anyway. These typically cost just pennies [See: Bulk Keg Orings and Keg Repair Part Numbers]. The high and low pressure is now staying constant since decoupling the keg with the main valve in the off position. . This technique also has the advantage of saving Star San and saving some clean up that’s required when you soak gear in Star San. I wonder if parts in the regulator are missing??? The keg is filled with beer? I just had a problem where my high side leaked where the pipe that screws into the regulator body was leaking. The new bottle pressure was 850 psi. For the most part, checking for keg liquid and CO2 leaks is pretty straightforward. I use the spray method when I keg a beer and use the pressure gauge method periodically or if I otherwise suspect a problem. Remove the CO2 line and replace with a pressure gauge or, After the pressure has stabilized. Homebrew Finds is a participant in the Amazon.com Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. After you change the gas o-ring, re-check using the pressure gauge method. Home Bar Dispensing - Kegerator & Party Events (Residential), http://www.micromatic.com/forum/us-e...light=co2+leak, If this is your first visit, be sure to Note: If your keg has beer in it that is uncarbonated the pressure will drop some overnight (it is equalizing and carbonating the beer). Wait for a couple hours to overnight to see if the gauge drops. Hmm, no hose clamps on any of the valves, just oetikers? Isn't the barbed piece that goes into the tap screwed onto the top of the tap?