What makes him/her/them great? What are you thinking right now? If you decide to make a purchase through one of these links, I will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Describe what depression feels like for you. In the next section are journaling prompts for depression. Depression feels different for every individual. Name 5 things that scare you the most right now and why? When was the last time you felt deeply frustrated? Journaling doesn’t have to always start with “Dear Diary.”. What trait do you admire in others? When was the last time you treated yourself to something nice? What will you be doing? Read more about her story here! Why did it mean so much to you? Write a list of things that are holding you back from your goals. Reduces anxiety, depression and mental health problems. 21 Powerful Positive Affirmations for Depression, 10 most relatable quotes of how depression feels, Inspiring Mental Health quotes from Harry Potter, 5 Ted Talks for Self Esteem and Confidence. Thank you so much for your lovely feedback! Draw if you must. Related: Journal Prompts for Self Discovery. What are things that trigger your depression? It allows you to clarify your thoughts. That is because writing allows our mind to flow more freely and we get caught up less in negative thoughts. 35. What are your favourite ways to practice self care? The most important thing is that you, If you still feel stuck, you can check out, List 3 things that you love about yourself, Talk about a difficult time in your life that you managed to overcome, Share a favourite quote and how it inspires you, Describe your biggest accomplishment in life so far. Write your favorite things. Sunny? What do you wish more people knew about you and why? How can you start taking care of yourself more? What can you do to improve these feelings? Which of these depression quotes resonated mostly with you? What is something that you are looking forward to? 18. Powerful Journal Prompts for Depression Name 10 things you like/love about yourself. It’s a private space and no one will judge you for it. Someone who unexpectedly loses a loved one will be maneuvering their way through all of the stages of grief for months ahead. It could be movies, books, series, quotes, etc. 11. 23. Who is someone who is negative and you would like to spend less time with? Here are some journal prompts for depression and anxiety to get you started. How would you describe yourself to a stranger? What can you do to minimize or avoid these triggers? Journaling for depression is an excellent exercise. Why do you think it is this way? Will you swim or read or play Frisbee with your dog? And to find order when your mind is in chaos. This post contains affiliate links. If typing on a screen feels more comfortable, then keep a journal on your computer. What city, state, or country would you like to visit? Who is your biggest supporter? There’s no one-size-fits-all cure for depression. When motivation is low and thoughts are cloudy, thinking about what to write and actually writing it can be a struggle. What’s your favorite quote? Name 3 songs that help to lift your mood when you feel low. 33. Some of these are simple, such as eating healthy and getting enough sleep. 42. How would your best friend describe you? What is something your depression has taught you that you might not otherwise know? Name 10 things you like/love about yourself. Anxiety and Depression are not linear and your journaled thoughts don’t need to be either. This month I’ve made a big commitment to journal for ten minutes every day. What is your favourite inspirational quote? 12. If you decide to make a purchase through one of these links, I will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. 17. Talk about a time you helped someone. Talk about the ways in which you see this trait in yourself, Talk about your most meaningful friendship. How to start journaling for depression There really is no right or wrong way to start your depression journal. Start with writing for just 5-10 minutes in a sitting. Only then can you start to understand your thoughts and feelings. Write your struggles with your mental health. What is 1 self care idea you are going to do for yourself every day? You can keep a depression and anxiety journal, therapy journal, self care journal, mental health journal…the list goes on and on. 30. At times like this, it can be helpful to have a list of journal prompts for depression at hand. Once you’re in a rut it can feel incredibly difficult, or even impossible, to get out of it. When were you last not depressed? Such an amazing commitment to make – I really hope you see the benefits from it! Journal prompts are a wonderful way to explore feelings of anxiety and depression in a safe personal space. How can you make changes in your life to achieve this? © 2020 Psychology QuestionsContactPrivacy Policy. Do you think that people should talk more about their Mental Health? Describe your “perfect” day – what would you do and who would you do it with? Thankfully, among other practices such as yoga and meditation, journaling is a tool that really helps me when I feel stuck in that low mood. What steps can you take to forgive yourself? 21. Write about the happiest time in your life. Keep your journal somewhere accessible and try and fit it regularly into your routine. That’s why we also need to explore other ways to feel better. I hope these journal prompts for depression are enough to get you started with journaling for mental health. These prompts will get you started in writing down your thoughts and feelings. Is there a happy memory you want to relive? Journaling is one of my favourite ways to instantly feel better when I am having a bad mental health day. Where do you want to be in 10 years time. If you’re looking for other mental health resources be sure to check out my other posts about depression and check out my mental health podcast on Podban or iTunes. Did you know that 6.7% of American adults have had at least one major depressive episode in a year? Why did it resonate with you? I do not promote anything I do not wholeheartedly believe in or stand behind. What is a goal you are working towards? What have you learned through having depression? If you can go anywhere right now, where would it be? Of course, journaling is just one of the many therapeutic techniques for managing depression and other mental health conditions. I hope these journal prompts for depression are enough to get you started with journaling for mental health. Try not to stress over your journal-Writing prompts will help get you started, but don’t feel pressure to write 15 pages or complete every single prompt. Are you unhappy with yourself? Those who experience a severe car accident may be forced to deal with physical injuries as well as emotional and mental trauma.