Now I just need to work on bringing that same trust and courage into all the moments of life! NIV 9 When the dread day of Jericho's judgment came, what a joy must it have been to Rahab to know that all dear to her were safe. We'll send you an email with steps on how to reset your password. "The Lord your God is God in heaven above. Article Images Copyright © 2020 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. Don't be timid; don't get discouraged. We do not plead for the "letter" as against the "spirit," nor forget that many Scripture precepts are expressed in a general form, and one must be compared with another to ascertain the intention of our Lawgiver. III. We should pray that all in offices, civil or military, may be endued with the gifts and talents necessary for the honourable discharge of their several offices. Comments and Observations. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”. This recommendation stamps the Pentateuch with authority. He can do nothing in judgment till that one soul in the doomed city is brought into a place of safety. III. — no Sabbaths, no Scriptures, no teachers — and yet in the base purlieus of a Jericho, in the heart of that poor harlot, like a fair pearl that lies within a rough shell among the weeds and rocks at the sea bottom, there is found precious faith, faith that finds utterance in a good confession (ver. He has not read his Bible to good purpose who has not repented of sin and thankfully accepted God's well-beloved Son as his Saviour, his Redeemer "from all iniquity.". I had saved myself a thousand woes, if I had lived as if there was "a God on earth.". We’ll send you a new verse every day to download or share. Was it because the cup of their iniquity was full? II. 1. All rights reserved. Obedience springs from faith, a hearty acceptance of the will and ways of God. Earnest Workers will cross it, manfully trusting in God, and these are the only successful workers. Moreover, she had found her calling profitable, and therefore, naturally speaking, would be the more firmly wedded to her evil ways. ACTION. A pure, temperate Christian life is likeliest to win real success in any department of activity. God is a living Guide; he has written directions and he aids in the performance of them. In all that has been and is now doing in the world for God, we find the principle of co-operation prevailing. He that would do any work must cross it, and we may take it for granted the width, depth, and swiftness of the stream will be proportioned to the value of the work. He is well armed for his struggle with temptations and annoyances who goes to his work fortified by previous study of the Scriptures; and after the battle of the day is over, when the shadows of evening surround him or the gloomier shadows of trouble threaten to enclose him, there is naught so effectual to dissipate the darkness as the kindled rays of the heavenly lamp. 3. Your Faithlife account signs you in to all our sites. Obedience is to extend to the smallest matters. THE WILLINGNESS ON THE PART OF THE MEN TO UNDERTAKE THE DIFFICULT WORK. In the absence of wise organisation, the modest man will be ignored or crushed. The rapturous strains of the Messianic prophets, the simple and sublime gospel narratives, the epistles - those commentaries on the preparatory dispensation and on Christian doctrine - do not all these "testify" of the Saviour? Please enter your email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue. 2. She has had no spiritual advantages. HE IS GOD IN EARTH BENEATH. IV. Her character was exceptionally evil. Don't be timid; don't get discouraged. Who ever knew a child made neglectful by a well-timed promise? Israel, the people of Jehovah, were arrayed against her and her people, and were even now marching onward to their destruction. Salem Media Group. Here we have a solution of the mystery of His providence. I am aware that "our Lord" and "our Saviour," and so on, are phrases that are frequently employed thoughtlessly, ignorantly, and profanely; but this does not render their value less. Which sin? Have I not commanded you to be strong and courageous? "If a man love me, he will keep my words, and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him." He must vigorously enforce and execute the laws already established for restraining wrong and wicked lewdness, and help forward the enacting of such new laws as may be needful for restraining them more effectually. The army is a compact confederacy. Well may we "search the Scriptures." Haven’t I commanded you? Not the Hebrew and not the Greek do we want so much as a translation of them into thought and feeling and conduct. Such ORGANISATION WOULD FACILITATE THE DEVELOPMENT OF INDIVIDUAL TALENT. If the conditions of salvation be observed, thy house and thy hope shall stand, though a thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand. Turn now to THE CONFESSION of her faith. "This book of the law." Such resemble the strangers imported into Samaria, who "feared the Lord and served their own gods" (2 Kings 17:33).