Portugal Note5: I usually add 2 cups of broth total and 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce for us. Pour in some of the broth keeping the rest after we check consistency at the end. Chad Bahrain Cayman Islands A popular in Middle Easters green soup that can be made in many different ways but the most famous is the Egyptian Molokhia. South Sudan Made with jews mallow leaves, chicken, and served over white rice. I have also tried adding sugar as recommended by many online recipes but my kiddos did not like it. Molokhia leaves contain the following vitamins and minerals: vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, vitamin E, vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, and B12, beta carotene, calcium, iron, fiber, potassium, magnesium, phosphorous, and selenium. For the Oil, Tarragon, and Garlic Mixture: 2 tablespoons ghee, butter, or oil (optional), 500 grams fresh or frozen Molokhia (we use the frozen). If you like cooking Mulukhia the traditional way feel free to do so. Colombia It is also called Jute Leaves, Jews Mallow, Egyptian Spinach, or Nalta Leaves. Qatayef (Katayef) Recipe; folded pancakes with nuts. As I researched Molokhia, I realized my family had bought Molokhia leaves at a veggie stand not knowing what they were. I am going to show you a new way for Molokhia recipe and why I love it more than the old way. About 1 1/2 hours before serving, preheat the oven to 425 F. Strain the chicken broth; discard the fat, measure the broth and add more water if necessary to make 4 cups. Gabon Wash whole chicken and place in a large pot. Albania Namibia Makes about 3 cups sauce. Armenia Unfortunately, pumpkin is not always available in Aqaba. Mongolia 7. Antarctica Bosnia and Herzegovina Guyana Costa Rica Your email address will not be published. 5. The leaves have a bit of a slimy texture comparable to okra, another member of the mallow family. Chop the onion and add to the pot along with the cardamom pods, cinnamon stick, bay leave, and 1 tablespoon salt. United Kingdom Some people like to mince a whole head of garlic. First of all one less pan to clean, everything is done in one pot and that's it. Aug 27, 2016 - Easy Authentic Middle Eastern Molokhia recipe. In a deep pot over medium-high heat melt ghee. Guatemala Kuwait Iceland Any comments about using this? Continue cooking Molokhia until the leaves are cooked and does not taste raw anymore. In Egypt we usually buy fresh green Molokhia leaves that looks like mint leaves but bigger, then we use a special curved sort of knife to mince it manually until it is very very fine like this one below. Here in Colorado, I could only get a hold of the frozen Molokhia that can be found in any Middle Eastern stores. Cape Verde Take the time to wash the molokhia properly until the water runs clear. The stems need to then be minced. When the chicken is done, transfer it with tongs to another bowl to cool. Atom Dry coriander: preferably freshly roasted and ground coriander, the smell is more heavenly. Lesotho It’s inspiring to interact with others about their creations and cuisines as well. Singapore I found out that Molokhia is the Arabic name for both a plant and the dish made with it. Falkland Islands Subscribe to receive an email from us when we post something new! I used date syrup, which is one of our favorite sweeteners in Jordan, and it tastes like maple syrup too. This mixture will go over the chicken as a basting sauce. My family really enjoyed this recipe and requested to have it for a holiday meal. Note1: I love using ghee when making Molokhia. Add coriander and keep stirring for another 30 seconds. Faroe Islands Thailand When cooked, it tastes similar to spinach. We thought it was disgusting and never bought it for salads again. Tonga Mozambique Turkey 1 cinnamon stick (or 1 piece cinnamon bark). Libya Turn the heat down and let simmer for 20-30 more minutes. 99.9% of the kids love it, after they get used to it Egyptian moms start their tricks. Zimbabwe. Jordanian food is built to share, making mealtimes a wonderfully social experience, full of flavour and stories for starlight. Discover (and save!) Please check out our Instagram and Facebook pages. If you like this recipe do not forget to give it a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ star rating and attach a photo of your finished dish. I like to get the flavors of different spices, especially nutmeg. Austria Poland India Papua New Guinea 2. Country Aruba Now that the chicken is cooking, it is time to make the Molokhia! Eritrea Mauritius However, they do have dried molokhia. Serve warm over Lebanese rice, if desired. Join me and I will show you all the tips and tricks for making the best Egyptian Molokhia ever. Cook Islands One thing in common, they are all recipes that have been tried and tested by family and friends. I first heard about this tasty dish while I was teaching English to a group of sisters. Don’t want to miss a recipe? your own Pins on Pinterest To make the glaze, stir together the powdered sugar, date syrup, milk, and cinnamon. Martinique If you would like to set aside about 1/3 of the mixture to garnish the finished dish, you may, or you could just use all of the mixture basting the chicken. Have you ever heard of Molokhia, Fattet Hummus, Kibbeh, Tibouli, Kanafeh, Mansaf, Shawarma, Warak Enab, or Awamas? Saint Martin Cuba Learn how your comment data is processed. ), spice packet: 1 stick cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon mastic, 1 teaspoon peppercorns and 3 cardamom pods wrapped in cheesecloth, 14 ounce package frozen Molokhiya (available at Middle Eastern grocers), 2 pita breads, cut into triangles and toasted until brown in the oven, Place the chicken, onion, spice packet, and 1 teaspoon salt in a 4-quart casserole. Cambodia Georgia Almost every Middle Eastern and their mother have their own taste for Molokhia. Chile Second: I am used to cook something with tomato sauce when I make Molokhia, then eat them together. It is said that Molokhia started from Egypt and then spread to the rest of the Middle East, North Africa and East Mediterranean regions. Mauritania Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Jersey I had to change the recipe a bit given the ingredients I was able to get. Peru San Marino It is just my preference to cook it that way to make my life easier. Macao Add the frozen or freshly minced Molokhia to the chicken broth and cook for about 10 to 15 minutes. Using a whisk stir until the Molokhia has melted completely in the broth. Pick any large stems off the molokhia. I hope you'll like this recipe and please if you make this recipe, snap a pic and hashtag it #amiraspantry — I love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter! It should be already precooked. 3. 4. You can add more broth if you like your Molokhia thinner. Love you! Broccoli, peas, carrots, beans.... and so on. I wanted to clearly explain everything because there are several elements that should be done in a particular order to best utilize time and to serve the dish while everything is hot. You might want to make something like this. Messaging people and recipe exchanging is all part of the fun. Bermuda The frozen molokhia has been out of stock for quite some time and Amazon doesn't know when or if it will be back in. North Korea Yemen If you want to buy frozen Molokhia online try the Ziyad brand . Molokhia, also Mulukhia is a green soup made from minced Jews/Jute mallow leaves and cooked in broth. Ireland In our home Molokhia is indeed a love story when it is there on the table everyone gets excited about dinner. Palestinian Territory Saint Barthelemy Stir in the baking soda if using. Cover and cook at the simmer for 45 minutes, skimming from time to time. Coarsely chop 1 ½ cups of walnuts. Dominican Republic New Zealand Algeria By adding some tomato sauce to the Molokhia I stopped doing that, so few items to cook :). Love, Mom, Your email address will not be published. Bahamas Somalia We chopped it up and used it for salad greens. 3. Fill the pot with filtered water until the chicken is covered. This is a tradition I got from my sweet mother. 6. Kenya Lower the heat to simmer, add the roasted onions, shredded chicken, lemon juice and lemon slices, and simmer for 20 minutes. To serve Jordanian style, scoop the rice onto a large circular platter. Micronesia Required fields are marked *. 7. Saint Kitts and Nevis We like to just leave the Molokhia in its pot. If you like it that way then do not add any more broth but if you want it thinner then add broth until you reach the consistency you love. – PART 1, How To Make Healthy Banana and Egg Pancakes, Pita – The Bread of the Land for 4000 Years, The Gulf of Aqaba: A Special Interview with Judah. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. “AS IN THE DAYS OF NOAH”, WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? Isle of Man Venezuela Bhutan Makes about 3 cups sauce. The most common use in Egypt is the green soup which I will show you shortly how to prepare. Samoa Stir everything together until bouillon is dissolved. Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally. There should be no onion or spice pieces in the broth. Hong Kong Montserrat Ethiopia So glad I get to enjoy it personally. I found a recipe for Egyptian Molokhia that I thought looked good and would be easy to make. The way the Molokhia leaves are prepared and used in the dish Molokhia varies greatly in different parts of the world. Rinse your first pot out so there is no residue left from cooking the chicken. Slovenia Wait until it has completely melted. Sudan Togo You can use butter or  oil as well. 11. Finely chop 1 cup of walnuts and set them aside.