[9] The reference to "Him who sent me" anticipates the evangelist's note that "Siloam means 'Sent' (verse 6), so that Jesus who has been sent by his Father ... is also present in this water". 14It was a Sabbath when Jesus made the mud and opened his eyes.

He is of age; ask him. Click to enable/disable Google reCaptcha. Holman Illustrated Bible Handbook. Please be aware that this might heavily reduce the functionality and appearance of our site.

Or was it his own sin, known to God though not manifested to men, that had procured him this judgment? The Lord is not here understood or manifested in apparently as exalted a manner, because He comes down to the wants and circumstances of man, in order that He may be more closely known; but, in result, He brings the soul to the knowledge of His glorious Person.

John 9:13-33 He is brought to the Pharisees, who examine strictly into the fact, and are offended with his acknowledgment of the Divine mission of the author.

You were completely born in sins, and are you teaching us? Please see our Privacy Policy for cookie usage details. The Pharisees sneered at Jesus, confident in their own spiritual sight – which was blindness, because they could not see the Son of God right in front of them. This was deciding their own fate, and judging their own condition. John 9 is the ninth chapter of the Gospel of John in the New Testament of the Christian Bible.It records the healing of a man who had been blind from birth, a miracle performed by Jesus, and their subsequent dealings with the Pharisees. Click to enable/disable _ga - Google Analytics Cookie. (26-27) The man born blind reacts to the intense questioning.

Graetz, Heinrich (1871).

[2] This distinction of grace and responsibility (in connection with the names Father and Son, and God) has been already noticed.

Jesus calls himself “the light of the world” and demonstrates the truth of his claim by bringing light physically and spiritually to a man born blind. : The man born blind didn’t know everything about Jesus, but he did know how Jesus had touched his life.

So when a man comes to feel thoroughly guilty, he does not mind depending upon God.”, © Copyright - Enduring Word       |      . After Christ’s departure out of the temple, in the close of the foregoing chapter, and before this happened which is recorded in this chapter, he had been for some time abroad in the country, it is supposed about two or three months; in which interval of time Dr. Lightfoot and other harmonists place all the passages that occur from Lu. Let us then be less inquisitive and more practical, less for cracking doctrinal nuts, and more for bringing forth the bread of life to the starving multitudes.”. Still the object was there; it touched their eyes, and they could not see it. [8] The Textus Receptus and the Vulgate both use the singular, "I must" (Latin: Me oportet). “Take a homely illustration from myself: I used to be very backward in using spectacles for some time, because I could almost see without them, and I did not wish to be an old gentleman too soon. [1] But when the Lord works, He produces something in man that he had not previously. We fully respect if you want to refuse cookies but to avoid asking you again and again kindly allow us to store a cookie for that.

Below is a modified transcript. All Rights Reserved. This chapter is divided into 41 verses.

Jesus' statement, "If ye were blind" contrasts with their conceited self-glorification outlined by Paul. Observe, that proofs here went for nothing; the Jews, the parents, the Pharisees, had them before their eyes. “They have had since many followers in their crimes. Having gone so far, the rest is easy: the poor man is led much farther, and finds himself on ground that sets him free from all his former prejudices, and that gives a value to the Person of Jesus which overcomes all other considerations. There is a great difference between the one who is blind and knows it, and the one who simply shuts his eyes.

The presence of Jesus on earth made it day. The Pharisees oppose. John 9 – Jesus Gives Sight to A Man Born Blind A. John 9:39-41; 2 Corinthians 4:4; Ephesians 2:1-3). Probably Jesus healed this man in Jerusalem ( John 8:59), perhaps on the day following the events just narrated in or near the temple. Here's what we learn: He is God's word in human form. Consequently, the poor man having begun to reason with them on the proof that existed in his own person of the Saviour's mission, they cast him out. The people are astonished and know not what to think. He perceives that he has to do with some one sent of God. Related Media. Not that the man understood it all. So when a man comes to feel thoroughly guilty, he does not mind depending upon God.” (Spurgeon). But now that I cannot read my notes at all without wearing spectacles, I put them on without a moment’s hesitation, and I do not care whether you think me old or not. ii. Jesus sends the man He heals to the Pool of Siloam, a rock-cut pool on the southern slope of Jerusalem, located outside the walls of the Old City to the southeast.

c. Are we blind also? Changes will take effect once you reload the page. This man’s “repeated and humble confession of ignorance (9:12, 25, 36) stands in contrast with the Pharisees’ brash statements (9:16, 24, 29)” (Kostenberger, 285).