Can the answer be found in John 3:16? There are other scholars agreeing with this assessment. Rediscover God's grace in a time of lingering chaos and uncertainty. John 3:16 printed on the bottom rim of an In-N-Out Burger paper cup. . Computer scientist Donald Knuth is the author of 3:16 Bible Texts Illuminated, in which he examines the Bible by an analysis of chapter 3, verse 16 of each book. Theologians Gundry and Howell[4] believe that the sense and syntax of the Greek Οὕτως…ὥστε make it likely that the author of the Gospel of John is emphasizing both (a) the degree to which God loved the world as well as (b) the manner in which God chose to express that love—by sending his only son. Used by permission. RSV Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament 2nd Edition, The Revised Standard Version Catholic Bible Compact Edition-Duradera, black with zipper, The Catholic Family Bible, (RSV) Ivory Hardcover, Spiritual Warfare Bible, Imitation Leather, RSV Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament 2nd Edition, Hardcover. Revelation 5:9 And they sung a new canticle, saying: Thou art worthy, O Lord, to take the book and to open the seals thereof: because thou wast slain and hast redeemed us to God, in thy blood, out of every tribe and tongue and people and nation: 1 John 2:6 He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also to walk even as he walked. In this we have known the charity of God, because he hath laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. For God so loved the world, as to give his only begotten Son; that whosoever believeth in him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting. . [16], In Cree syllabics Français (Jean 3:16–17). . . . Philippians 2:17,30 Yea, and if I be made a victim upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I rejoice and congratulate with you all. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have eternal life. For God so loveth the worlde yͭ he hath geven his only sonne that none that beleve in him shuld perisshe: but shuld have everlastinge lyfe. Acts 20:28 Take heed to yourselves and to the whole flock, wherein the Holy Ghost hath placed you bishops, to rule the Church of God which he hath purchased with his own blood. Gundry and Howell write that the Οὕτως term more frequently refers to the manner in which something is done (see BDAG 741–42 s.v. (, "God loved the people of this world so much that he gave his only Son." Accordingly, it emphasizes the greatness of the gift God has given. (Schnackenburg), "Yes, God loved the world so much that He gave the only Son." For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. Some people (such as the Rainbow Man) display the reference in large letters at sporting events, seeking the attention of fellow fans, the staff controlling the venue's giant video screens and, if the game is televised, the television audience. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. Romans 16:4 (Who have for my life laid down their own necks: to whom not I only give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles). 3:16 was chosen because of this key passage in John. Sugar packet with Bible verse from John 3:16, Park bench with Bible verse from John 3:16 in Antigua, "3:16" redirects here. 17 For God sent the Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him. John 3:16 (chapter 3, verse 16 of the Gospel of John of the New Testament) is one of the most widely quoted verses from the Bible and has been called the most famous Bible verse. (, This page was last edited on 1 November 2020, at 22:49. . [14][15] Professional wrestler "Stone Cold" Steve Austin's marquee catchphrase ("Austin 3:16") originated as a reference to John 3:16. . '[10], David Pawson challenged the meaning and interpretation of the verse in his 2007 book Is John 3:16 the Gospel?[11]. [2][3], (See also Modern English Bible translations.). John 15:13 Greater love than this no man hath, that a man lay down his life for his friends. New American BibleThe way we came to know love was that he laid down his life for us; so we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers. οὕτω/οὕτως). For God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not die but have eternal life. . (v. 1) After speaking of the necessity of a man being born again before he could "see the kingdom of God", (v. 3) Jesus spoke also of "heavenly things" (v. 11–13) and of salvation (v. 14–17) and the condemnation (v. 18–19) of those that do not believe in Jesus. For other uses, see. (, "God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son." Ephesians 5:2,25 And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us and hath delivered himself for us, an oblation and a sacrifice to God for an odour of sweetness. "14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life." "[5] "The Greek construction…emphasizes the intensity of the love."[6]. John 3:16 (chapter 3, verse 16 of the Gospel of John of the New Testament) is one of the most widely quoted verses from the Bible and has been called the most famous Bible verse. 1 John 4:11 My dearest, if God hath so loved us, we also ought to love one another. a 3 They will do this because they have not known either the Father or me. Gundry, Robert H. and Russell W. Howell. John 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you: That you love one another, as I have loved you, that you also love one another. George Allen Turner and Julius R. Mantey, "multiple Greek and English versions including Strong's numbers", "John 3:16 trends again thanks to Tim Tebow", Tim Tebow’s 316 Passing Yards Evokes Biblical Number, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=John_3:16&oldid=986610883, Short description is different from Wikidata, Articles containing Ancient Greek (to 1453)-language text, Articles containing Classical Syriac-language text, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License. Cultural references to this verse are manifold. Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE), Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition. Learn this and more with this powerful course on John 3:16. C17, replaced Latin as a long-lasting standard. All rights reserved. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. The verse is part of the New Testament narrative in the third chapter of John in the discussion at Jerusalem between Jesus and Nicodemus, who is called a "ruler of the Jews". John 3:16-21 Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE) 16 For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. Might not does not mean that your salvation is guaranteed, just by believing.Might not, means that Jesus suffered and died for us, and our sins so that we *might *be, or could be saved. SUBORDINATE CLAUSES (INDENTED)[4], Various translations differ on whether this is a direct quote of Jesus or a comment of the narrator of the Gospel. Douay-Rheims BibleIn this we have known the charity of God, because he hath laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. MAIN CLAUSES (UNINDENTED) for God did so love the world, that His Son -- the only begotten -- He gave, that every one who is believing in him may not perish, but may have life age-during. Οὕτως γὰρ ἠγάπησεν ὁ θεὸς τὸν κόσμον, ὥστε τὸν υἱὸν τὸν μονογενῆ ἔδωκεν, ἵνα πᾶς ὁ πιστεύων εἰς αὐτὸν μὴ ἀπόληται ἀλλ᾽ ἔχῃ ζωὴν αἰώνιον. They conclude that the sense and syntax of the Greek construction here focuses on the nature of God's love, addressing its mode, intensity, and extent. In Exodus 4:22, the Israelites as a people are called "my firstborn son" by God using the singular form. NASB1995: New American Standard Bible - … CHAPTER 16 1 “I have told you this so that you may not fall away. [13] Exactly three years later on January 8, 2012, was the game that would become known as "The 3:16 game", where Tebow threw for 316 yards in a playoff upset against the Pittsburgh Steelers; a game in which measurements of 3, 16 and 31.6 were also noted, "John 3 16" became the top Google search in the US. Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his charity towards us: because when as yet we were sinners according to the time. 20 For every one who does evil hates the light, and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. You’re joining our global classroom. b 4 I have told you this so that when their hour comes you may remember that I told you. 1 John 3:16 German Bible Alphabetical: And brethren brothers by Christ down for He his how is Jesus know laid lay life lives love ought our that the This to us we what NT Letters: 1 John 3:16 By this we know love because he (1J iJ 1Jn i jn 1 jo) Bible Study Resources, Dictionary, Concordance and Search Tools [12] The Heisman-winning American football player Tim Tebow printed this reference (among other Bible verses) on his eye black, notably during the 2009 BCS championship. John 3:16 printed on the bottom of an iPhone 5 Case bag. John 10:15 As the Father knoweth me, and I know the Father: and I lay down my life for my sheep. A representative sample of published Bible translations renders it as follows. 1 Peter 3:18 Because Christ also died once for our sins, the just for the unjust: that he might offer us to God, being put to death indeed in the flesh, but enlivened in the spirit, Revelation 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, the first begotten of the dead and the prince of the kings of the earth, who hath loved us and washed us from our sins in his own blood.